Universal banks?
  • IrnIrn December 2007
    So personally, I kind of like the universal bank concept... but in reading most of the posts on the DFO forums, it seems the masses are against it. I see their point of tending to the 'care bear' crowd, yadda yadda. What is everyone here's view on it? and how bout the single character per server deal? still no feed back... i'm bored and no one seems to have much to say lol...
  • GovernorGovernor December 2007
    I'm 100% for the single character per server concept. I think it is a positive addition to the game that will make people consider their actions more carefully and perhaps make better decisions. I, as well, can't imagine a reason to create alternative characters in a game that gives you the freedom to change your character anyway you want.

I'm also for universal banks. I like how much freedom the game is offering, but I also want it to attract people. What is wrong with tending a bit to the care bear crowd when the rest of the game so obviously does not? The care bear crowd makes up the large majority of the MMO playerbase, and I am looking forward to ripping them a new one.
  • PheylanPheylan December 2007
    Based on what they said in Dev 19, I like the way they are implementing them. I was personally against universal banks for the most part, but I think that the game needs them in some ways, at the very least for money. Universal items I could do with out a bit more. By not having universal items, you give more crafters the opportunity to sell their stuff. There might be this really sweet sword in Elf Town +17, but it you can't get there, you'll have to settle for something else elsewhere, because chances are they aren't going to ride out and meet you somewhere, not without the safety of their town.

I understand what they are trying to do with one character per server...but...

It can be annoying to not be able to play a couple different character styles if you feel like doing so, all with your buddies. Maybe today I feel like playing a barbarian, but tomorrow I want to play a wizard. I like the concept, but this also seems like it would get a bit old after a while. You build a character up, decide you want to try something else so its either go to a server where you know no one, or delete the character you've worked on a lot. I guess the thing I'd like to see is some way to implement a 1 clan per server deal. Once you join a clan, you're locked into that clan with all your characters, and you can only make characters that fits into that clan.
    QUOTE (Pheylan @ Dec 11 2007, 09:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Based on what they said in Dev 19, I like the way they are implementing them. I was personally against universal banks for the most part, but I think that the game needs them in some ways, at the very least for money. Universal items I could do with out a bit more. By not having universal items, you give more crafters the opportunity to sell their stuff. There might be this really sweet sword in Elf Town +17, but it you can't get there, you'll have to settle for something else elsewhere, because chances are they aren't going to ride out and meet you somewhere, not without the safety of their town.

I understand what they are trying to do with one character per server...but...

It can be annoying to not be able to play a couple different character styles if you feel like doing so, all with your buddies. Maybe today I feel like playing a barbarian, but tomorrow I want to play a wizard. I like the concept, but this also seems like it would get a bit old after a while. You build a character up, decide you want to try something else so its either go to a server where you know no one, or delete the character you've worked on a lot. I guess the thing I'd like to see is some way to implement a 1 clan per server deal. Once you join a clan, you're locked into that clan with all your characters, and you can only make characters that fits into that clan.

If you want to try something new with a character, you just can. You don't have to recreate a character to do that. If you were a wizard-archer-sword-crafter-dude and decided you now wanted to be a warrior-pirate-contractor-dude, you simply put down your bow and pick up a sword. You don't lose the ability to return to the wizard archer that you were before or anything...
  • PheylanPheylan December 2007
    I think, and I don't know if this is true, but there are limits to what you can learn. Someone on the DF forums mentioned setting limits to each ability because you essentially have a max number of points that you can earn total across all the skills you learn. So, if you don't want to earn more then 20 in running because you'd rather have points elsewhere, you set the cap at 20. Now, whether or not this is true, I don't know. Personally, I'd rather it be something like that instead of every character being a jack of all trades and really good at everything. I think that gets boring. Its not realistic for someone to be good at everything. That's why you have people designated healers, and tanks, and spell casters. While i think its ok to be able to do a little of everything, not every person should be able to be at 100% with swords/axes/bows/magic/healing/crafting/tracking/sex/diplomacy/alchemy/etc. If that's the way it is, then by all means, allow 1 character per server. Otherwise, I think you should be able to branch out.
  • jimmah7jimmah7 December 2007
    i like the sex slipped into that list, but i also agree with you. i hope that you have limits because i'm not a fan of every character being 100% the same in skills either
  • carto0ncarto0n December 2007
    i back pretty much what phey said....i feel similar.
    QUOTE (Pheylan @ Dec 12 2007, 02:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I think, and I don't know if this is true, but there are limits to what you can learn. Someone on the DF forums mentioned setting limits to each ability because you essentially have a max number of points that you can earn total across all the skills you learn. So, if you don't want to earn more then 20 in running because you'd rather have points elsewhere, you set the cap at 20. Now, whether or not this is true, I don't know. Personally, I'd rather it be something like that instead of every character being a jack of all trades and really good at everything. I think that gets boring. Its not realistic for someone to be good at everything. That's why you have people designated healers, and tanks, and spell casters. While i think its ok to be able to do a little of everything, not every person should be able to be at 100% with swords/axes/bows/magic/healing/crafting/tracking/sex/diplomacy/alchemy/etc. If that's the way it is, then by all means, allow 1 character per server. Otherwise, I think you should be able to branch out.

I do not believe that is the case; and if it were, I do not think the dev team would have the same outlook on the single character per server issue. I think it's more of an issue with gear than anything else. You could be a jack of all trades (max out your shit), but you'd still be limited by your own talent (this would not be the case in a game like WoW) as well as your gear. You could run into battle with a sword and shield wearing nothing but leather armor, but you wouldn't stand much of a chance. However, the same can be said about trying to move around and shoot a bow accurately wearing a heavy set of platemail. So when it comes down to individual conflicts, your role would be pretty clear.
  • IrnIrn December 2007
    I dont think they're going to allow for someone to be topped out in all the skills you can have... My understanding is that they want to allow for people to learn any skill they like, but to perfect them all at the same time isn't really possible. What some people have discussed is a diminishing skill level, where if you dont use it, you lose it so to speak. This would make it impossible to keep all the skill levels you have at 100%. I know what you're saying Governer, with the equipment limitations, which i do agree with, however, i think that will be less of a hinderance than we all think, because as they've stated previously, they're trying to take away from the gear effect, and give the advantage to the higher skilled player. Gear isn't going to have as big of an effect in this game as say it would in WoW. But yes, i do think armor will be one of the limiting factors in rolls that we play.
  • As long as there's no federal reserve.
  • JAmmYJAmmY December 2007
    Universal Banks:

I do no support universal banks. I would not like to see them in the game. For one big reason. You go to a city, buy some nice armor, put it in your bank. Travel to the other side of the world, and pull it out from the bank in your clan city. So you basically traveled safely, with no fear of losing your new gear.

A comprimise that I wouldn't mind would be a limit on the size of your bank storage. Meaning you could only store so much material, but be able to store as much gold as possible in the bank. Also, only the main city banks are universal to each other, and the clan banks are universal to the banks in that clan.

SCS/SRS:

I support the SCS idea. Like Gov said, it makes people more accountable for their actions. Also, this isn't WoW where you need multiple classes. It is open ended classes, and if you want to switch your skills later with your one character, you are able.
  • StriveckStriveck December 2007
    no doubt
  • Actually, that's kinda how the banks run by the Knights Templar and Teutonic Knights worked. You deposited your money/valuable at one location, and they gave you a certificate-type thing that said what the order owed you, less interest, and you could redeem that at another order bank. So I suppose universal banking would be quasi-realistic?

Maybe they'll have different "chain" banks scattered throughout the world.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership