Darkfall Introduction
  • carto0ncarto0n October 2007
    Darkfall Online is a new game being developed by Aventurine that is supposed to revolutionize what we think of online gaming.
    A lot of us in this community grew up playing games such as the Doom series, Ultima Online, Everquest, Counterstrike, and the like. Darkfall is being created by gamers who have similar backgrounds. With their years of gaming expierence with different game styles they have decieded to combine all the aspects of these games into one. Darkfall Online won't be a MMORPG, it wont be an FPS, it wont be any one of these types of games....It will be ALL of them.
    In Darkfall, the players will run the world, and you will be completly free to do anything, and everything.
    You will be able to design and build your own cities, and decide who gets to live there, and who is not welcome. You will also need to defend them against enemny raids at any given time.
    You will be able to build your own ships and sail the high seas. You will be able to explore underwater cities, setup camp on one of the hundreds of islands in the world, or live your dream of being a pirate and attack other ships.

You will build your armor, weapons, and decide how you want your character to look. You can determine if you want to be a sword weilding madman, or a cunning and dangerous mage.

There will be Six races to choose from. The Dwarves, Alfar, Humans, Mahirim, Mirdain, and Orks. Each race will have their own unique styles or crafting, and fighting. There will be an open ability system with more than 1000 skills and spells, atleast ten times more than Ultima Online. Skills can be bought from NPC's and some can even be learned from other Players! There will be no character level, it will be a pure skill based system. There will be no specific class restrictions, you can be a dwarven figheter and still pick up some magical skills as support if you wish. Players will also need to eat and drink regularly to ignore temporary penalties.

The combat system is what this game will thrive on, as you are not safe anywhere in the world. You can attack, and be attacked anytime, anywhere.
    The combat will be Real-Time with manual aiming and fighting/firing. You will be able to fight from your mount, or from your crew manned gun ship. In Darkfall there will be no target point and click attacks...you will need to aim everything. When in battle you will not be able to 'run through' your enemy, but in fact...collide with them!

In Darkfall, all the mounts are fully controllable by the player, but are fully vulnerable.....even while mounted. A mount can be attacked, take damage, and even be killed while you are mounted. Mounts will have a running and walking mode, as well as be able to jump and swim. Currently under consideration is also the addition of Armor for mounts and a taming skill. As also in foot combat, mounts will be able to collide with each other. Picture being in your town off in the mountains when you see clouds of dust and smoke approaching from a hoard of galloping mounts coming to attack your city.

If you wish to find out more about Darkfall you can visit the official site: www.darkfallonline.com
    If you wish to find out more about the game features of Darkfall you can visit: http://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?t=43318

I will be sure to post updates as they become available, to keep you all informed on the happenings.

Btw....The game is not currently available yet, it is however from what i hear ready to enter closed beta testing. Im going to make a prediction and say we see an open beta sometime around christmas.
  • HoseKingHoseKing October 2007
    Sounds like hellgate london but different, might be worth checking out in a beta.
  • GovernorGovernor October 2007
    I am really excited about this game. I don't really have any time to play, but it seems like the type of mmo that you can have a blast playing even if you can only manage an hour or two a week.
    QUOTE (Governor @ Oct 22 2007, 02:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I am really excited about this game. I don't really have any time to play, but it seems like the type of mmo that you can have a blast playing even if you can only manage an hour or two a week.

That is one of their main goals. To get away from the grind type MMORPG style that has haunted this game genre forever and incorperate the feel, and aspect of an MMO with the hassle-free good time that an FPS provides.

From what I've read on this game over the past year or so, it will indeed do what they are predicting...revolutionize online gaming.

*crosses fingers*
    Here are some teaser screenshots of the game....

• GmnotutooGmnotutoo October 2007
    evil!!!
  • PheylanPheylan October 2007
    This thread gave me a boner.
  • ErlingErling October 2007
    Unfortunately this seems to have been promised one hundred times before - never to be delivered, of course.
  • Graphics are mediocre, but I suppose it'll improve.

The gameplay style will be awesome if they deliver.
    QUOTE (Working Class Hero @ Oct 22 2007, 11:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Graphics are mediocre, but I suppose it'll improve.

The gameplay style will be awesome if they deliver.

yea, the graphics dont seem like anything to rave about...but if all these claims are correct, and the gameplay they are promising delivers, i have found my new addiction.

i was a HUGE Ultima Online junkie, and this seems right up my alley
  • xemplarxemplar October 2007
    Seems cool. May get it when it comes out.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership