Ron Paul supporters
  • http://local.lancasteronline.com/4/214144

Paul backers vote selves onto island
    A group of strange political bedfellows rally in high traffic area for presidential candidate

By HELEN COLWELL ADAMS, Staff writer
    Sunday News

Published: Dec 23, 2007 12:20 AM EST

LANCASTER, Pa - Shawn Patrick House is the one-time chairman of the Lancaster County Libertarian Party.

Ken Brenneman was registered in the Constitution Party.

Amy Mink is a dyed-in-the-wool Democrat.

So why were all of them standing in the middle of traffic outside Park City Center in a biting wind three days before Christmas, waving signs for a Republican presidential candidate?

Two words, two syllables, one name:

Ron Paul.

The Texas congressman may be a long shot for the GOP nomination, but for a growing and passionate band of supporters in Lancaster County, he's the glue that holds together an unlikely ideological coalition.

"They're an eclectic mix of people that on many things would not agree," said Franklin & Marshall College pundit Dr. G. Terry Madonna.

"Ron Paul really has brought a very diverse group of people together for a strong message of freedom," said Nicole Quinn, an assistant organizer for the Lancaster Meetup.com group.

"Although our various groups may have minor differences of opinions, we all share the main core principles of liberty."

Across party lines, across gender lines, across generational lines, the underdog candidacy of a limited-government crusader has energized the grass roots.

Paul has more than 1,400 Meetup groups across the country, more than any other candidate. He set a one-day record for campaign fundraising, pulling in $6 million earlier this month.

So, as the first-in-the-nation Iowa caucuses loom on Jan. 3, Paul's people are on a mission to spread the good news — by word of mouth, by "sign wave," by Internet.

Brenneman, a military veteran who re-registered Republican to vote for Paul, said the enthusiasm reminds him of John F. Kennedy's 1960 candidacy.

"It's a grass fire," he said.

Signing up
    Saturday morning, as cars backed up on Harrisburg Pike, about 20 members of the Ron Paul Meetup walked the island at the Route 30 ramps, waving signs and giving literature to drivers stuck in traffic.

Mink, who lives in Neffsville, was dressed as the Statue of Liberty. Her hand-lettered sign read, "Lost: Constitutional rights. If found, please return to American people."

House donned a red Santa hat to go with his sign, "Why Ron Paul?"

There were a few boos and thumbs turned down from motorists, but House estimated that about 90 percent of the reactions were honks of support.

"It's keeping us going," House said.

Patrick Kocher of Gordonville, organizer of the Lancaster Meetup, is from a politically active family in Delaware County. He's no campaign newbie.

"The guy's got integrity," Kocher said. "I re-registered Republican from the Constitution Party for this."

Brenneman met Paul, a Pittsburgh native, when he spoke to the Constitution Party in Lancaster three days before 9/11 in 2001. "He not only says what's on his mind," Brenneman said, "but he actually follows through."

"By watching the debates, I saw how very good he was on foreign policy," said Matt Boyer, a Democrat, "which I think is one of the major issues today."

The district sales manager for Lancaster Newspapers' circulation department started researching Paul's positions and liked what he learned.

"I certainly don't agree with everything he says," Boyer added, "but he's on the right track. He's genuine and consistent."

Boyer found out about Paul by seeing the sign waves outside Park City and connecting with the Meetup.

The Lancaster Meetup, which can be found at http://ronpaul.meetup.com/926, lists 87 members, and it is cloning replicas in Oxford-Solanco, Ephrata and Elizabethtown. The organization is outgrowing its meeting room at the Lancaster Public Library.

Paul supporters have been doing "sign waves" near the mall every Saturday in December. They started on one of the islands on Plaza Boulevard, but mall security chased them off.

They christened the Harrisburg Pike median "Liberty Island."

"These grassroots volunteers from all over the country will stand in the rain, sleet and snow to share the message of freedom," Quinn said.

Crossover voters
    Libertarians and Constitutionalists make for strange political bedfellows. So do Democrats and Republicans.

But when the object is Ron Paul, political affiliations don't matter.

"We all have a lot of common ground," House said.

"Because Ron Paul's principles support individual freedom, it's only natural that we have respect for others, even when we disagree," Quinn added.

Madonna said some Paul support comes from his antiwar stand and some because "he's more a Libertarian than a Republican." Others like the obstetrician because he's "against the grain of the establishment."

The coalition crosses age lines, too.

"It's so great to see the different generations coming together," Mink said. "It's inspiring. That's why I'm here."

Members of the Lancaster Meetup know that Pennsylvania's primary, on April 22, probably will be too late to have any effect on the nomination. To compensate, they're writing letters of support to Republican voters in the early caucus and primary states, like Iowa and New Hampshire.

A spokesman for Paul's campaign wasn't available for comment late last week. Not a problem: The Lancaster Meetup is more than happy to explain why Paul is going to surprise pundits.

"Ron Paul's integrity, principles and dedication are very hard to find in the political arena," Quinn, a Libertarian and a Realtor, noted. "... Ron Paul is so true to his beliefs that he is willing to turn down personal benefits [including a congressional pension] simply because it goes against his principles."

"He won't vote for anything not in the Constitution," Brenneman said. "He wants to keep us sovereign and free."

His Texas district keeps re-electing him, Brenneman said, even though Paul rejects "pork" projects.

House, who runs a hemp products business, Hempzels, has been a fan of Paul's for years after Paul introduced legislation that would differentiate industrial hemp from illegal marijuana.

Paul's supporters have been annoyed at the lack of mainstream media attention. They've been bombarding pollsters, like Madonna, asking for Paul to be included in polls.

"We'll include all the candidates who file [for the Pennsylvania ballot], as we always do," Madonna said, "and everybody who intends to file."

Paul supporters argue that his voters aren't being polled. Madonna noted Paul is drawing 6 to 10 percent support in some state polls, and 6-7 percent nationally.

"He polls so low that, I think, it's pretty hard to get at that group," Madonna noted.

But even if pollsters and media are ignoring Paul, his strange bedfellows are making sure his name is heard.

Some have taken to using a blimp as an airborne billboard (see www.ronpaulblimp.com). Meetup.com groups and YouTube videos also help.

It's beginning to pay off. Paul set the single-day fundraising record on Dec. 16 with more than $6 million in 24 hours. According to www.ronpaul2008.com, Paul has raised nearly $18.53 million for the fourth quarter of 2007.

"The stars and the moon are lining up," House said.

Quinn agreed.

"I think we've been building a huge snowball that is about to come down the hill," she said.
  • EvestayEvestay December 2007
    "Paul Partisans See Montana Opportunity"
    http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jFYJjtg...B2dqLgD8TSA54O2
    Under the "closed caucus" system recently adopted by the Montana GOP, voting in the Feb. 5 caucus will be limited to about 3,000 Republicans who hold party posts, such as members of Congress, statewide officeholders and precinct captains. That includes hundreds of volunteer precinct posts that have long been vacant and that some candidates are now scrambling to fill with supporters.

Terry Frisch, an ardent Paul supporter, said he found it remarkably easy to secure a precinct post. The Lewis and Clark County GOP had 80 precinct positions open when he asked for a spot recently. He was given one, and no one asked whom he was supporting.
  • EvestayEvestay January 2008
  • JeddHamptonJeddHampton January 2008
    http://cliffschecter.bravenewfilms.org/blo...er-ron-paul-etc

New Hampshire's Republican Party has dropped out as a partner of a Fox News Channel presidential forum because the network won't let two low-polling candidates take part.

Another article that says basically the same thing: http://www.boston.com/news/local/politics/...p_drops_sp.html

That surprised me.

Just for the hell of it, Ron Paul speaking about the Iraq War BEFORE the Iraq War:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLV7zDhKzDY&NR=1
  • xemplarxemplar January 2008
    That was one amazing video.
  • monkmonk January 2008
    Ron paul supports way to much of what I believe in for me to sit idly. If you didn't/don't vote, please start.

as for the ID system- I would go to any extent/extreme to prevent that, including going up in arms.

You have the ability to make a difference by choosing someone, and since your choices are limited choose the best choice. rationally and logically go through who can best serve you and your countries interests best. When you do, regardless of your general political views, you somehow reach the conclusion of ron paul image/wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> If you don't, try it again and be rational!. If this man is what he seems this would be a HUGE start for our country in a different and better direction. I am almost certain that if that man can effectively implement his power and carry out his visions each american citizen will find their daily lives far more productive and meaningful - we should see a drastic change in economic forcaste, sunny baby! and you bet the HARDER you work and the more truly PURPOSEFUL and valuable your work is, your compensation will be much more equal in value. byebye inflation, sort of.
    One of the critiques that I hear about him is that he's not a good politician. I agree, he's not. He's a good human being, who happens to have gotten further into politics than most good human beings are capable of. The man is the real deal. His chances are slim, but it's the first time that I actually want to vote for someone, because of who that person is and not because of who his/her opponents are.
  • monkmonk January 2008
    One of the critiques that I hear about him is that he's not a good politician. I agree, he's not. He's a good human being, who happens to have gotten further into politics than most good human beings are capable of.
    well he obviously is not fit for duty! you have to have a personal agenda to be a good politician. DUH. who the fuck wants pure intentions? too many people loose their "gift" vacation homes and golf club memberships without a "politician" in power to hand them out

Oh, the last sentence is not sarcasm.
  • cutchinscutchins January 2008
    QUOTE (Jedd @ Jan 11 2008, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    One of the critiques that I hear about him is that he's not a good politician. I agree, he's not. He's a good human being, who happens to have gotten further into politics than most good human beings are capable of. The man is the real deal. His chances are slim, but it's the first time that I actually want to vote for someone, because of who that person is and not because of who his/her opponents are.

what makes a good politician?
    QUOTE (CJ. @ Jan 12 2008, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    what makes a good politician?

For one example, someone who is willing to compromise their integrity to get ahead.

edit: I was thinking about you're question and think I understood a bit more what you were actually asking.

Ron Paul isn't the best speaker. I think Bush proves that you don't need to be a great speaker to make it into the White House, but being a good speaker is what is expected of a politician. Ron Paul isn't bad, but I'd feel safe in saying he is the worst running for the presidency right now.

Ron Paul has some radical ideas and isn't afraid to speak up for his ideas. One of his ideas that I don't support is getting rid of the CIA. He will speak out for this idea even if most of the country agrees with me. It isn't a very good political move to do so.

Ron Paul stood up and said that the base of his party has lost it's way. This is pretty bad if you are trying to win the party nomination. When someone wants a nomination, they usually try and get the base first. The base of a party is influential and can easily win over many votes. The base of the party is the people who pick the front runners early on. When someone does what Ron Paul did, it's usually the end for them.
  • GovernorGovernor January 2008
    http://www.nolanchart.com/article1107.html

I read this article today, and I was quite impressed at how clearly the author outlined my frustrations with the entire state of our federal government and the media's role in the election processes.
  • Black+BalloonBlack Balloon January 2008
    Professionalism escapes him, and I love it. He's blunt. It's wonderful.
  • NonRootNonRoot January 2008

QUOTE (Governor @ Jan 12 2008, 09:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    http://www.nolanchart.com/article1107.html

I read this article today, and I was quite impressed at how clearly the author outlined my frustrations with the entire state of our federal government and the media's role in the election processes.

My friend brought the article about Ron Paul being racist to my attention the other day. Im glad I got to read this article, and know that there are more out there who dont believe in it.
  • monkmonk January 2008
    I read the article as well and couldn't agree more... additionally it got my blood boiling once the whole "media" issue came up. Someone HAS to get the media under control, I am talking about a massive revamp. In a way they have just as much or more power than even our federal government, which is terrifying. Our citizens have become way too dependent and as a result they have become naive/easily manipulated. the media is far too bloated to hide behind the protective rights of "free speech" anymore. If I had my way they would be so deep in law suites involving slander they couldnt even piss. It is absolutely out of control, they know they have way to much influence and control and it shows when they exploit the common citizens ignorance every chance they get. Of course it is very difficult to do anything about it, theres no one to attack, yay limited liability and corporations? oh wait, ron paul has something to say about that...something tells me he might benefit the common working man and make it a little harder for greedy scumbags to hide inside the joists of corporate entities.
    The allegations of racism are something that Ron Paul has had to deal with for a decade now. He was a contributor to an article that was written by many different people and allowed his name to be placed on the article without actually reading it. The entire article wasn't racist, but there was a particular portion that was written by one of the others that went on a racist rant, so it was attributed to everyone involved. It was a really stupid thing for him to do, and he readily admits that, but it is something he has been honest about since the day it was published.

Oh, and Ron Paul has absolutely no intention of getting involved with the affairs of the media, I promise.
    I think it is important that Christopher Walken gets to have his say: http://www.newsgroper.com/christopher-walk...head/#more-3607
    Walken 2012?
    I didn't think Christopher Walken had it in him. I like where the man's head is at.

edit: just saw this on digg: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GzRWSof8uQ...feature=related
    Ron Paul got second in the Nevada Caucus. Not that it was a big victory, because he only got 14% of the votes. Romney got 51%.

http://www.nvgopcaucus.com/results
  • 14% of the Straw Poll, but we did far, far better than that in the delegate count, which is what matters more in terms of securing the nomination.
    http://patdollard.com/2008/01/video-bill-k...-him-to-shreds/
    Ron Paul said we didnt need the civil war..we shouldnt have gone to WWI and II.. and the civil rights act wasnt needed.
    I have no reason to post this other than get on your nerves, so sorry in advance.
    Bill Kristol, to my mind, personifies the kind of people who need to be brutally murdered in our society.

Of course we didn't have to have the Civil War. War in general refers to the failure of politics to reconcile. Henry Clay tied slavery too tightly to the US as an institution while, as Ron Paul said, it would have been far cheaper to buy all the damn slaves and free them, then block the importation of new slaves and declare it illegal. We can debate endlessly, I am sure, about how the South would have taken this, but if such a thing was done prior to the Mississippi Compromise before slaves constituted such a significant part of the workforce, then the rich southern plantations that actually had the slaves would have made off rich anyway from the government purchases. In the end, they get plenty of money anyway, without the bloodshed.

As for not entering World Wars 1 and 2, Paul primarily means we should not have involved ourselves by secretly trying to send aid to Britain and other Allies. I think Germany and its allies would have fallen eventually anyway. Yes, we helped a bit on the Western front and kept them from taking France at the Second Battle of the Marne, but in no way can one definitively argue that our entrance into the war was required. And WW2 should never have happened in the first place; the Treaty of Versailles was a fucking flop. The world proved that a fair and peaceful aftermath could occur, after the Napoleonic Wars. France never rose up in revolution against the rest of Europe, because the terms laid down (which I don't feel like looking up) were justified. The Treaty of Versailles reduced Germany to a position, militarily and economically below its neighbors. Thus, revolt. War. Didn't have to happen.

The Civil Rights Act of 1964. Again, like the wars, Ron Paul isn't saying that the ending of segregation is wrong. The implication, again, is that this legislation should not have been necessary. Plessy v. Ferguson should not have established the separate-but-equal laws to begin with.

And if I'm wrong and Ron Paul really is a total isolationist, racist, naive moron and can be proven as such, then I just wasted fifteen minutes and all of my self-confidence and confidence in our government will vanish. But God I hope not.

Edit: Actually, I've decided that this doesn't even matter to a large extent. What set me off here was Paul being called unamerican for disagreeing with government policies. Excuse me? Since when was it unamerican to think differently, Kristol, you fuck? There is a certain vehemence to this post, I admit, that people are entirely free to ignore. This is a one-sided, defensive post and it has been written, not to argue or debate, but to release some hatred in Kristol's general direction.
  • scrubblescrubble January 2008
    what are the chances Paul runs as a third party candidate? i know he's said before that he's a loyal Republican, but has he changed his mind.
  • redboneredbone January 2008
    Mr. Paul raked in a measly 3% today in FL.
  • GachiGachi January 2008
    I saw the whole 3% in Florida when I turned on the TV late last night. Regardless, my vote is still going for him imho.
    Ron Paul didn't campaign in Florida because he had no shot at all. It is an all-or-nothing state, so unlike most other states in the union, he would need to have pulled first place to receive any delegates.

QUOTE (scrubble @ Jan 30 2008, 01:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    what are the chances Paul runs as a third party candidate? i know he's said before that he's a loyal Republican, but has he changed his mind.

Close to zero. He's not one to deal in absolutes, but he has no real intention of doing so.
    John McCain: 36%
    Mitt Romney: 31%
    Rudy Giuliani: 15%
    Mike Huckabee: 13%
    Ron Paul: 3%

I can understand why he would focus in other states, but those numbers don't look all or nothing to me.
    It is certainly all-or-nothing. McCain came in first, so he received 100% of the state's delegates to the national convention. That's all that matters.
    QUOTE (Governor @ Jan 30 2008, 09:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    It is certainly all-or-nothing. McCain came in first, so he received 100% of the state's delegates to the national convention. That's all that matters.

Ah I see, I didn't understand that is the all or nothingness to which you were referring.
  • scrubblescrubble January 2008
    QUOTE (redbone @ Jan 30 2008, 09:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Ah I see, I didn't understand that is the all or nothingness to which you were referring.

some states are all or nothing, some states aren't. it all depends on the state.

some go by country, or district.
    Which is why I like the concept of a straight convention over a caucus system. More action, less bullshit. Turn the primaries into an episode of Smackdown.
    A good Ron Paul video.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UmsP95Bl9pM

If a person knows anything about Republicans/the GOP, that person knows that Ronald Reagan is right below Jesus on the Awesome Savior list. So, why isn't the person with the closest ideals getting the most votes?
  • GachiGachi January 2008
    I will be out with the wife come time to vote for the Primaries here, so lets get him to win here atleast.
    how would you guys feel about Ron Paul dropping out of the race and using his campaign money for his reelection bid to Congress?
    He won't, though. He doesn't really have that much of a problem getting re-elected.
    http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0108/7917.html Long shots face backlash at home
    Peden, an accountant by trade, has been highlighting Paul’s strident criticism of the Bush administration as a key rationale for his campaign. He often invokes his evangelical faith on the campaign trail and has enlisted the support of several area pastors, who have formed a “Pastors for Peden” group.

“The more the voters down here find out about Ron Paul, the more they realize he is simply not a conservative, and the less they like him,” said Peden spokesman Dallas Frohrib.

But Paul has a vast stockpile of campaign cash at his disposal, thanks to his fundraising success in this year’s presidential bid. He raised about $19 million in the last quarter, and, if he chooses to, he can transfer that money into his congressional treasury.

Paul campaign spokesman Mark Elam indicated that Paul was planning on spending money from his presidential campaign on his House reelection bid. He went up on the airwaves Tuesday with his first advertisement, a radio spot touting his biography and legislative accomplishments.
    I honestly have no problem with him using my money for his congressional campaign, but people aren't dumb. To call Paul not conservative would be funny if it weren't so sad. In the end, there is a reason he has been re-elected for two decades; he's done a lot of good for his district, and unlike most other long-term congressman, he's still one of the most active politicians in Washington.

Regardless, the presidential campaign is far from over, so I am excited to see him put my money to good use in that bid.
  • xemplarxemplar February 2008
    I was looking through youtube vidoes and I saw this...."Some Ron Paul nut will get on here and offer, "There'd be no need for such a song if Bush had not gone into Iraq." These people are deranged." image/laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />
  • Bah, I'm tired of the Republican Party. They stopped being conservative over twenty years ago, and they're throwing themselves under the bus with their hypocrisy and horrid policies. I'm registered Libertarian, and I hope Ron comes back for us in November.
  • Black+BalloonBlack Balloon February 2008
    QUOTE (Working Class Hero @ Feb 6 2008, 08:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Bah, I'm tired of the Republican Party. They stopped being conservative over twenty years ago, and they're throwing themselves under the bus with their hypocrisy and horrid policies. I'm registered Libertarian, and I hope Ron comes back for us in November.

If "fucken saved" is ever to be applied to this forum, it should be right here, in my opinion.
  • redboneredbone February 2008
    Just outta curiosity, how many of you thought/think that Ron Paul actually stood something of a chance?
    That's not really what it's about. The point isn't to guess correctly and draw bids on who's gonna win, but honestly support someone that one agrees with.
  • cutchinscutchins February 2008
    QUOTE (redbone @ Feb 8 2008, 09:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Just outta curiosity, how many of you thought/think that Ron Paul actually stood something of a chance?

I did. His fund raising was insane. It's sad he had trouble converting that into votes but I mean he had the entire traditional media mounted against him along with the way the primary system is set up in the first place.
    Who wants to draw bids on whether or not he'll follow Ross Perot's style?
  • GovernorGovernor February 2008
    What do you mean?
    Run independent.

And yes I understand that Ross Perot technically founded the Reform party and wasn't actually independent due to their nomination, but some state laws required he appear listed on the ballot as an independent candidate anyway.
  • GovernorGovernor February 2008
    I see.

In that case, no. He will not be running as an independent.
  • xemplarxemplar February 2008
    Bring back the Moose party!.... image/laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />
    You mean Teddy's Bull Moose party?
  • BudweiserBudweiser February 2008
    Wig Party image/unsure.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":unsure:" border="0" alt="unsure.gif" />
  • JeddHamptonJeddHampton February 2008
    Whig Party? Are you really that old, Bud? You look good for 150.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership