WH'08 Democratic Candidate: Obama
  • scrubblescrubble January 2008
    here is the official thread of our next great President, Barack Obama.

Obama for President
    Obama and Hillary tied at 40% in CT.

very good news for Obama. hopefully a nice endorsement from Dodd will put him over the edge.
  • redboneredbone January 2008
    Bump for Hilary win at 50% in FL
  • GachiGachi January 2008
    We don't need a government that goes Bush, Clinton, Bush, Clinton. Atleast thats how I feel and a few friends of mine.
  • redboneredbone January 2008
    QUOTE (Gachi @ Jan 30 2008, 07:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    We don't need a government that goes Bush, Clinton, Bush, Clinton. Atleast thats how I feel and a few friends of mine.

Thats move to Canada time.
  • GovernorGovernor January 2008
    Who cares about what family they're from? The name isn't important; the policies are. I mean, I definitely don't support Hillary for president, but it certainly has nothing to do with her name.
    QUOTE (Governor @ Jan 30 2008, 09:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Who cares about what family they're from? The name isn't important; the policies are. I mean, I definitely don't support Hillary for president, but it certainly has nothing to do with her name.

Clinton being the nominee would result in the balkanization of American politics. There are eerily similar tactics between Clintonian and GWB/Rove politics.

There are two things wrong with Washington today, divisiveness and competence. Clinton might bring slightly more competent actors to Washington, but does not solve issue #1. The future of the US rests on meeting current challenges in a bipartisan manner. Clinton is not the vehicle to do this, we would have had divisive politics from 1993-2013/2017. That's very scary.

Voting on pure ideology and party affiliation is inherently dangerous.
  • EvestayEvestay January 2008
    if all you care about is bipartisanship then you should support McCain/Lieberman (probably wont happen) or Bloomberg.
    also...what will Obama do that conservatives would appreciate (ie bipartisanship)?
  • cutchinscutchins January 2008
    QUOTE (Governor @ Jan 30 2008, 09:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well for me it's not the name but the fact that it will have been 2 families basically "ruling" our country for 16 years. Sure she may be competent but i mean, wtf. it just points to a level of privilege and unfairness in our political system that i'm aware exists but not at all happy with.

EDIT:

Eve, I was under the impression that Obama had somewhat of a name for bipartisan politics, maybe not as renowned or consistent as mccain, but that's something i kind of garnered from hearing him speak and such. please correct me if i'm wrong though.
  • EvestayEvestay January 2008
    i dont know enough to say, but in terms of political stances, I dont think he has any views a conservative would like / find agreeable.
  • GovernorGovernor January 2008
    He wants to get out of Iraq; that's pretty conservative. He also opposes No Child Left Behind which is indirectly a conservative stance.

I'm really picking at straws though, he's generally extremely liberal. The fact that he wants to pull out of Iraq and get rid of No Child Left Behind makes him better than most of the republican candidates. You simply cannot claim to be a conservative while supporting either of those two things.

Of the people currently in the race, I would support Obama if Paul didn't get the nomination. It's not that I think he is going to revolutionize the country or anything, but he's an inspirational politician -- the likes of which we haven't seen since JFK. He inspires young people to get involved in politics (which is good because baby boomers are fucking politically and economically retarded), and he is able to reach out not just across party lines but to other countries as well. All of the candidates aside from Paul have largely the same ideas and really are just arguing party lines and technicalities, and all of the policies are mostly awful, but Barack is the least polarizing of them all in my opinion.
  • carto0ncarto0n January 2008
    if Billary wins the presidency...im stabbing my own face.
    over 250,000 people donated this month to Obama's campaigning totalling over $32 million just for this month alone. pretty cool.
  • carto0ncarto0n February 2008
    QUOTE (scrubble @ Jan 31 2008, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    over 250,000 people donated this month to Obama's campaigning totalling over $32 million just for this month alone. pretty cool.

only if you want to see him in the white house.....i personally, don't think its that cool.
  • scrubblescrubble February 2008
    QUOTE (cartoon. @ Feb 1 2008, 10:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    only if you want to see him in the white house.....i personally, don't think its that cool.

everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
  • cutchinscutchins February 2008
    QUOTE (Evestay @ Jan 31 2008, 05:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    i dont know enough to say, but in terms of political stances, I dont think he has any views a conservative would like / find agreeable.

Just to clarify. When i say "bi-partisan" i'm talking about the ability to cross party lines when working on bills, the ability to work with other lawmakers regardless of the R or D beside their name. I'm not talking about being moderate in your beliefs. Bipartisanship is far more important than being moderate, imo.

That's what i was saying i get the feeling Obama has a knack for and is certainly better known for than the polarizing hillary.
  • EvestayEvestay February 2008
    i dont see the difference between the 2. why the hell would a conservative work with a liberal who wont moderate his view on a particular issue? yes obama is less polarizing as a figure, but that does not mean his positions arent 1-sided.
    QUOTE (Evestay @ Feb 3 2008, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    i dont see the difference between the 2. why the hell would a conservative work with a liberal who wont moderate his view on a particular issue?

???

a conservative who works with a liberal or vice versa to compromise a particular bill to make both parties happy is exercising bipartisanship.

a moderate is a person who has political views that are relatively in the center, not far left or right.

you can be a moderate democrat who never works with politicians that aren't democrats. you can be a moderate republican who refuses to take any democratic input or ideas because you think liberals are just plain wrong and dumb and you won't give them the time of day.

i'm just saying that being moderate and having a reputation for bi-partisan work aren't the same thing in my mind. one has to do with getting passed the bullshit partisan politics of our current government; being open minded and striving for what is best for the american people instead of your party, and the other strictly has to do with just having center oriented beliefs.

QUOTE (Evestay @ Feb 3 2008, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    yes obama is less polarizing as a figure, but that does not mean his positions arent 1-sided.

i never said his positions aren't 1 sided. i'm saying that even though he may lean more left then hillary, he's able to balance his beliefs and the need to compromise and get things done for the good of the country instead of his party. it's hard to get things done when a large chunk of the opposing party absolutely reviles you, wouldn't you say?

Glad to see that Kevin Drum is going to vote for Obama. He'd been supporting Clinton before.

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/...8_02/013045.php

PULLING THE LEVER....So who am I going to vote for tomorrow? Answer: Barack Obama.

I've got some good reasons and some bad reasons for changing my mind. The good reasons include (a) the ugliness coming out of the Clinton camp over the past couple of weeks, which has turned me off, a growing sense that Obama's steadiness running his campaign under fire is a good sign of what he'd be like as president, and © some of the red state endorsements Obama has gotten recently, which speak well for his potential to produce strong coattails in November.

There are also some not-so-good reasons. I'm half embarrassed to admit that this stuff even affects me, but the fact is that the actions of both the candidates' supporters and detractors has had an impact. Watching Andrew Sullivan rant and rave on a daily basis about Hillary, for example, has had the perverse effect of keeping me on her side. I just hated the thought of fever swamp hatred like that influencing my party's nomination. Conversely, today's Paul Krugman column, which was yet another installment in his months-long anti-Obama jihad had the opposite effect. I don't like Obama's mini-demagoguery of Hillary's healthcare plan either, but for chrissake, it's an election. A bit of hardball is to be expected and I can't for the life of me figure out what Obama has done to drive a sensible guy like Krugman over a cliff.

Anyway, I realize that this stuff shouldn't matter, but it's all part of the mix. And while I still like both candidates a lot (which is what's kept me on the fence for so long), I guess I finally decided that Bill Clinton was right: voting for Obama is a roll of the dice. I still don't know whether Obama is likely to be the Democratic Ronald Reagan (my hope) or the next Democratic Jimmy Carter (my fear), but I like his temperament, I like his judgment, I like his foreign policy, I like his obvious ability to inspire, and I think he's more likely to be RR than JC. I guess I'm willing to roll the dice.
  • redboneredbone February 2008
    I've pretty much become apathetic towards this election.
  • As far as the whole compromising thing is concerned, I'm not going to compromise on liberty, and I think that's what has happened in this country. Both parties have compromised the best parts of their platforms in the name of expediencey, and that's gotten us to where we are now. The conservatives no longer fight for balanced budgets and fiscal responsibility, and the liberals have thrown the bill of rights under the bus as much as the "conservatives" have. If you want to get a clear look at who these people are, look at what they've done in the past, not what they are saying now.

As far as Obama is concerned, he voted to renew the PATRIOT act, and as far as I'm concerned every politician who voted for that thing can go die in a ditch. Cold. And alone.
    Super Tuesday!!! Everyone go and vote, that is, if you are registered with a party or your state allows independents to vote.
    QUOTE (Working Class Hero @ Feb 4 2008, 10:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    As far as the whole compromising thing is concerned, I'm not going to compromise on liberty, and I think that's what has happened in this country. Both parties have compromised the best parts of their platforms in the name of expediencey, and that's gotten us to where we are now. The conservatives no longer fight for balanced budgets and fiscal responsibility, and the liberals have thrown the bill of rights under the bus as much as the "conservatives" have. If you want to get a clear look at who these people are, look at what they've done in the past, not what they are saying now.

As far as Obama is concerned, he voted to renew the PATRIOT act, and as far as I'm concerned every politician who voted for that thing can go die in a ditch. Cold. And alone.

voted to renew it only after some changes were made. he was still not happy with that but the republican controlled house refused to let the original renewal with much stricter changes pass and also the much better SAFE act that obama cosponsored.
    a very good night for Obama. we actually did better than i expected.
    Among Obama's states: Colorado, Idaho, Utah, Kansas, Alabama. His geographic reach is remarkable. His speech - just so glaringly, embarrassingly, surpassingly superior to his opponent's - has a theme of national unity and an end to identity politics. He actually rebukes voting on the basis of race whereas Clinton championed her role as a woman in politics. That's the difference. A reference to Washington's "dramas and distractions." An invocation of the wave of mortgage foreclosures. He praises Clinton by name but then puts the boot in - on lobbyists, Iraq, Iran, torture. And he's actually making tax hikes for the rich a positive reason to vote for him. No, Senator Clinton, he is not Ronald Reagan. And he is not George W. Bush: "We will make mistakes."

Look: he's a liberal. I'm not. But I'm not immune to this moment in history and this candidate's broad appeal. He appeals to the liberal in all of us. And it may be time for such a swing of the pendulum. Frankly, if that's going to happen, I'd rather have Obama represent that shift than almost anyone else.

If he loses California, the race goes on and he may not ultimately win the nomination. But he will have won this campaign. And he will have won the argument.

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_...e-the-ones.html
    Obama: Actually, I Think We Can

by hilzoy

I, too, endorse Obama for President, to no one's surprise. Since Katherine has already written a lot of what I would have wanted to say about his rhetoric, and since I've already talked about one of my most important reasons for supporting him, namely the fact that he got Iraq right from the outset, I'll say something about the peculiar idea that Barack Obama is all style and no substance.

I came to Obama by an unusual route: as I explained here, I follow some issues pretty closely, and over and over again, Barack Obama kept popping up, doing really good substantive things. There he was, working for nuclear non-proliferation and securing loose stockpiles of conventional weapons, like shoulder-fired missiles. There he was again, passing what the Washington Post called "the strongest ethics legislation to emerge from Congress yet" -- though not as strong as Obama would have liked. Look -- he's over there, passing a bill that created a searchable database of recipients of federal contracts and grants, proposing legislation on avian flu back when most people hadn't even heard of it, working to make sure that soldiers returning from Iraq and Afghanistan were screened for traumatic brain injury and to prevent homelessness among veterans, successfully fighting a proposal by the VA to reexamine all PTSD cases in which full benefits had been awarded, working to ban no-bid contracts in Katrina reconstruction, and introducing legislation to criminalize deceptive political tactics and voter intimidation. And there he was again, introducing a tech plan of which Lawrence Lessig wrote:

"Obama has committed himself to a technology policy for government that could radically change how government works. The small part of that is simple efficiency -- the appointment with broad power of a CTO for the government, making the insanely backwards technology systems of government actually work.

But the big part of this is a commitment to making data about the government (as well as government data) publicly available in standard machine readable formats. The promise isn't just the naive promise that government websites will work better and reveal more. It is the really powerful promise to feed the data necessary for the Sunlights and the Maplights of the world to make government work better. Atomize (or RSS-ify) government data (votes, contributions, Members of Congress's calendars) and you enable the rest of us to make clear the economy of influence that is Washington.

After the debacle that is the last 7 years, the duty is upon the Democrats to be something different. I've been wildly critical of their sameness (remember "Dems to the Net: Go to hell" which earned me lots of friends in the Democratic party). I would give my left arm to be able to celebrate their difference. This man, Mr. Obama, would be that difference. He has as much support as I can give."

Imagine my surprise, then, when I heard people saying that Obama wasn't "substantive". It was exactly like my experience in 2004 when, after hearing Wes Clark for the first time, I went and looked up his positions on a whole host of issues of concern to me, and only then started reading media accounts of him in which I "learned" that no one knew what his positions were.

As some of my students would say: I was like, wtf?

I was also surprised ...

... by the number of people who said: well, all this bipartisanship stuff sounds very nice, but how do we know it actually works? Isn't this just happy talk that will evaporate in the face of reality? Or, alternately: doesn't this sort of thing involve selling our souls to our supposed partners in compromise? Curiously, Obama has an actual legislative record, and so it is possible for us to see both how he approaches bipartisan cooperation and what results it yields. And it turns out that Obama does achieve results by working with Republicans, and doesn't tend to compromise on core principles.

Last year, I considered some of his bipartisan initiatives in the Senate -- notably on nonproliferation and ethics reform -- and concluded that what Obama actually does has nothing to do with the sort of bipartisanship that people rightly object to:

"According to me, bad bipartisanship is the kind practiced by Joe Lieberman. Bad bipartisans are so eager to establish credentials for moderation and reasonableness that they go out of their way to criticize their (supposed) ideological allies and praise their (supposed) opponents. They also compromise on principle, and when their opponents don't reciprocate, they compromise some more, until over time their positions become indistinguishable from those on the other side.

This isn't what Obama does. Obama tries to find people, both Democrats and Republicans, who actually care about a particular issue enough to try to get the policy right, and then he works with them. This does not involve compromising on principle. It does, however, involve preferring getting legislation passed to having a spectacular battle. (This is especially true when one is in the minority party, especially in this Senate: the chances that Obama's bills will actually become law increase dramatically when he has Republican co-sponsors.)"

Consider a different example:

"Consider a bill into which Obama clearly put his heart and soul. The problem he wanted to address was that too many confessions, rather than being voluntary, were coerced -- by beating the daylights out of the accused.

Obama proposed requiring that interrogations and confessions be videotaped.

This seemed likely to stop the beatings, but the bill itself aroused immediate opposition. There were Republicans who were automatically tough on crime and Democrats who feared being thought soft on crime. There were death penalty abolitionists, some of whom worried that Obama's bill, by preventing the execution of innocents, would deprive them of their best argument. Vigorous opposition came from the police, too many of whom had become accustomed to using muscle to "solve" crimes. And the incoming governor, Rod Blagojevich, announced that he was against it.

Obama had his work cut out for him.

He responded with an all-out campaign of cajolery. It had not been easy for a Harvard man to become a regular guy to his colleagues. Obama had managed to do so by playing basketball and poker with them and, most of all, by listening to their concerns. Even Republicans came to respect him. One Republican state senator, Kirk Dillard, has said that "Barack had a way both intellectually and in demeanor that defused skeptics."

The police proved to be Obama's toughest opponent. Legislators tend to quail when cops say things like, "This means we won't be able to protect your children." The police tried to limit the videotaping to confessions, but Obama, knowing that the beatings were most likely to occur during questioning, fought -- successfully -- to keep interrogations included in the required videotaping.

By showing officers that he shared many of their concerns, even going so far as to help pass other legislation they wanted, he was able to quiet the fears of many.

Obama proved persuasive enough that the bill passed both houses of the legislature, the Senate by an incredible 35 to 0. Then he talked Blagojevich into signing the bill, making Illinois the first state to require such videotaping."

Getting legislation like this passed is a real achievement. Getting it passed unanimously is nothing short of astonishing. Mark Kleiman, who knows this stuff extremely well, put it best:

"1. Obama was completely right, and on an issue directly relevant to the more recent debates about torture. Taping interrogations is an issue that really only has one legitimate side, since there's no reason to think it prevents any true confessions, while it certainly prevents false confessions (over and above the legal and moral reasons for disapproving of police use of "enhanced interrogation methods").

2. Pursuing it had very little political payoff, as evidenced by the fact that Obama has not (as far as I know) so much as mentioned this on the campaign. Standing up for the rights of accused criminals in a contemporary American legislature requires brass balls.

3. Getting it through required both courage and skill. The notion that Obama is "too nice" to get things done can hardly survive this story: he won't face tougher or less scrupulous political opponents than the self-proclaimed forces of law and order. Yes, in this case the change was helpful to the cause of crime control, since every innocent person imprisoned displaces a guilty person. But that didn't make the politics of it any easier."

Similarly, people often wonder whether Obama's call for a new kind of politics is just empty words. Here again, I think he has a real record to point to. He has consistently worked for ethics reform. In Illinois, where he helped pass what the WaPo called "the most ambitious campaign reform in nearly 25 years, making Illinois one of the best in the nation on campaign finance disclosure." In the US Senate, he was the Democrats' point man on ethics, and was deeply involved in the ethics legislation passed this year. He didn't get all he wanted -- for instance, he and Russ Feingold couldn't get a bill establishing an Office of Public Integrity to deal with Congressional scandals. But he accomplished a lot, and wants to accomplish more.

Moreover, he is very interested in open government. The searchable database of government grant and contract recipients that I mentioned above is part of that. But Obama's proposals (pdf) go further. For instance, consider these proposals:

* Centralize Ethics and Lobbying Information for Voters: Obama will create a centralized Internet database of lobbying reports, ethics records, and campaign finance filings in a searchable, sortable and downloadable format.

* Create a Public “Contracts and Influence” Database: As president, Obama will create a "contracts and influence" database that will disclose how much federal contractors spend on lobbying, and what contracts they are getting and how well they complete them.

* Expose Special Interest Tax Breaks to Public Scrutiny: Barack Obama will ensure that any tax breaks for corporate recipients — or tax earmarks — are also publicly available on the Internet in an easily searchable format.

* End Abuse of No-Bid Contracts: Barack Obama will end abuse of no-bid contracts by requiring that nearly all contract orders over $25,000 be competitively awarded.

* Sunlight Before Signing: Too often bills are rushed through Congress and to the president before the public has the opportunity to review them. As president, Obama will not sign any non-emergency bill without giving the American public an opportunity to review and comment on the White House website for five days.

* Make White House Communications Public: Obama will amend executive orders to ensure that communications about regulatory policymaking between persons outside government and all White House staff are disclosed to the public.

* Conduct Regulatory Agency Business in Public: Obama will require his appointees who lead the executive branch departments and rulemaking agencies to conduct the significant business of the agency in public, so that any citizen can see in person or watch on the Internet these debates.

These are all proposals designed to allow public scrutiny of the business of government. As I read it, one of Obama's goals in introducing them is to permanently alter the incentives politicians have. As long as legislators did not have to disclose their earmarks, there was no way of finding out that the person who stuck a favor for an obscure casino in one state into an appropriations bill was from another state entirely. There was therefore no way for that person's constituents to wonder why s/he was expending political capital on people outside the district, and no way for reporters to see just who was doing that casino favors. Once legislators have to own up to their earmarks, however, that changes. It won't make abuse go away, of course, but it does make it a lot easier for people to notice and object to the fact that their representatives are doing inexplicable favors for people they have no obvious reason for caring about.

Likewise, if all bills had to be posted to the internet five days before they were voted on signed (oops), it would be much, much more difficult for Congress to sneak some appalling provision through in the dead of night. If all contracts over $25,000 had to be competitively bid, certain sorts of corruption would be a lot more difficult to carry out. And if there were a database of tax breaks and tax earmarks, not to mention a database of lobbyists, it would, again, be much, much easier to track who was doing favors for whom, and why. (And I haven't even started on Obama's proposals (pdf, p. 5) to strengthen FOIA: "Barack Obama would restore the tradition of free information by issuing an Executive Order that information should be released unless an agency reasonably foresees harm to a protected interest.")

I think of these proposals, collectively, as a means of empowering journalists, bloggers, and random citizens to discover corruption and the abuse of power, and to bring the power of shame to bear on politicians who practice it. This clearly isn't all that Obama means when he talks about changing the way politics is practiced in this country. But it's part of it. And I think it's pretty powerful.

I sometimes wonder why, exactly, people go on saying all this stuff about Obama lacking substance. Sometimes, I suspect it's just laziness, as in the case of this dKos story in which mcjoan, who is usually much better than this, lists a whole lot of questions she wishes the candidates would answer, apparently unaware that Obama (and, for all I know, Clinton), has already answered most of them. I suspect, though, that part of it might be the assumption that idealism is necessarily woolly and misty-eyed and all about singing Kumbaya, while realism is necessarily cynical and disillusioned.

I have never believed this. There are certainly hard-bitten, cynical people who don't think particularly clearly about the world (Dick Cheney leaps to mind.) More to the point, I can't see any reason why there shouldn't also be people who are both genuinely idealistic and hardheaded at the same time. I suspect Obama is one of them. I do not for a moment imagine that he is perfect. (Cough, clean coal technology, cough cough.) But I do think that he's one of the best candidates I can remember, and that's good enough for me.

http://obsidianwings.blogs.com/obsidian_wi...a-actually.html
    Five reasons Hillary should be worried
    By: Jim VandeHei and Mike Allen
    February 6, 2008 02:39 PM EST

Hillary Clinton survived a Super Tuesday scare. But there are five big reasons the former first lady should be spooked by the current trajectory of the campaign. Longtime Clinton friends say she recognizes the peril in careening between near-death primary night experiences and small-bore victories. Although the friends did not have details, they believe she may go ahead with the campaign shake-up she had been planning just before her surprise victory in New Hampshire. Her team is girding for trench warfare, telling reporters that the nomination will not be decided until at least the Pennsylvania primary on April 22, if then. Clinton aides told reporters on a conference call today that the Democratic Party’s complex delegate allocation rules mean that neither candidate is likely to take a sizable lead in the foreseeable future. While Clinton’s campaign gloated about having the most total delegates for the cycle so far, her staff nevertheless recognizes that Super Tuesday was no triumph. Here’s why:

1. She lost the delegate derby. Pure and simple, this is a war to win delegates, one that might not be decided until this summer’s Democratic convention. And when the smoke cleared this morning, it appeared that Barack Obama had ended up with slightly more delegates in the 22 states. Obama’s campaign says the senator finished ahead by 14 delegates.
    With results still coming in, Clinton’s campaign says the candidates finished within five or six delegates of each other. Either way, Super Tuesday was essentially a draw. Clinton may still hold the edge overall, but Obama is closing in rapidly.

2. She essentially tied Obama in the popular vote. Each won just over 7.3 million votes, a level of parity that was unthinkable as recently as a few weeks ago.At the time, national polls showed Clinton with a commanding lead — in some cases, by 10 points or more. That dominance is now gone. One reason is that polls and primary results reveal that the more voters get to know Obama, the more they seem to like him. This is especially troubling for Clinton since the schedule slows dramatically now and a full month will pass before the next big-state showdown. All of this allows candidates ample time to introduce themselves to voters in each state — which plays to Obama’s core strengths.

3. She lost more states. Obama carried 14 states, six more than Clinton, and showed appeal in every geographical region. His win in bellwether Missouri was impressive by nearly every measure, marked by victories among men and women, secular and churchgoing voters, and urban and suburban voters.

4. She lost the January cash war. Money chases momentum, so Obama crushing’s 2-to-1 fundraising victory last month is revealing. He raised more than $31 million; Clinton raised less than $14 million. The implication is hard to ignore: Democratic activists and donors are flocking to Obama at a pace that could have a profound effect on the race going forward.

5. The calendar is her enemy. Now that more than half the states have weighed in, there is a fairly predictable formula for determining who is most likely to win the upcoming contests. In caucus states, Obama’s organizational strength shines: He has won seven of eight. Up next are three more caucus states, Washington, Nebraska and Maine. Obama also runs tremendously well in states with large African-American populations, another promising sign since next Tuesday’s three primaries are in the District of Columbia, Maryland and Virginia — all of which have significant percentages of black voters. Then comes another caucus state, Hawaii, where Obama is viewed as a native son. The bottom line is that it figures to be another month before Clinton hits a stretch of states — places like Ohio and Pennsylvania — where she will be strongly favored to win.

So it couldn’t any be clearer as to why the supposedly inevitable candidacy is anything but — even when she’s supposedly winning.

http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm?uui...0170E8506837F7B
  • BudweiserBudweiser February 2008
    Hillary is toast
  • ScabdatesScabdates February 2008
    It was a creed written into the founding documents that declared the destiny of a nation.

Yes we can.

It was whispered by slaves and abolitionists as they blazed a trail toward freedom.

Yes we can.

It was sung by immigrants as they struck out from distant shores and pioneers who pushed westward against an unforgiving wilderness.

Yes we can.

It was the call of workers who organized; women who reached for the ballots; a President who chose the moon as our new frontier; and a King who took us to the mountaintop and pointed the way to the Promised Land.

Yes we can to justice and equality.

Yes we can to opportunity and prosperity.

Yes we can heal this nation.

Yes we can repair this world.

Yes we can.

We know the battle ahead will be long, but always remember that no matter what obstacles stand in our way, nothing can stand in the way of the power of millions of voices calling for change.

We have been told we cannot do this by a chorus of cynics.
    They will only grow louder and more dissonant.
    We've been asked to pause for a reality check.
    We've been warned against offering the people of this nation false hope.

But in the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope.

Now the hopes of the little girl who goes to a crumbling school in Dillon are the same as the dreams of the boy who learns on the streets of LA; we will remember that there is something happening in America; that we are not as divided as our politics suggests; that we are one people; we are one nation; and together, we will begin the next great chapter in the American story with three words that will ring from coast to coast; from sea to shining sea --

Yes. We. Can.

• meathammermeathammer April 2008
    i said it a while back in the "formerums", please please please let obama win the primary. mccain ftw.

meat<----spanks it to "obama/clinton 2008"
  • GovernorGovernor April 2008
    What do you like about McCain?
  • scrubblescrubble April 2008
    QUOTE (meathammer @ Apr 17 2008, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    <br />i said it a while back in the &quot;formerums&quot;, please please please let obama win the primary. mccain ftw.<br /><br /><br />meat&lt;----spanks it to &quot;obama/clinton 2008&quot;<br />
    <br /><br /><br />

wouldn't you want Clinton to win the primary? as we have seen Obama does not have nearly the amount of baggage as Clinton.

QUOTE (Governor @ Apr 17 2008, 10:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    What do you like about McCain?

Obama and Iraq:

http://tnr.com/politics/story.html?id=6001...fb-6f52baca6bcc

i feel that this article is about right. the same can be said for Clinton. what this boils down to is that Obama's team is significantly more coherent than Hillary's.
  • scrubblescrubble June 2008
    <=== new election, new av.
  • scrubblescrubble June 2008
    there has been a lot of talk about who Obama will chose as his VP. i think one of the people that should be a clear front runner is Brian Schweitzer. do a little research on the guy and you'll find he shares many of the same views as Obama and goes along with his message of change. a couple months ago Schweitzer did have some not so kind words about Obama, but it's nothing that can't be swept under the rug.
  • NunesNunes June 2008
    I think it's politically dangerous for Obama to choose somebody who has the same agenda as him. He can probably pull in more people who perceive him as being too far left if he yanks somebody from the other side of the aisle. It would also speak volumes about his ability to actually do that.
  • GovernorGovernor June 2008
    I honestly cannot see how he can pass up Hillary as Vice President. I totally understand why he wouldn't want her on the ticket, and I realize that there is quite the potential for him to be slightly overshadowed by her. It is a shame he's in this position at all, but that doesn't change the situation.

Clinton gained almost 18 million votes! Regardless of whether you believe Obama won in the popular vote or not, the difference between their popular vote totals was extremely tiny. Both Obama and Clinton shattered tons of records throughout the primary and the campaigns of both candidates were incredibly historic.

Like her or not, he cannot win without at least a large majority of her supporters (which constitute almost 50% of the democratic party). Almost no one that supported Obama is going to vote McCain just because Clinton is on the ticket, but plenty of people that voted for Clinton will do just that if their historic, record-shattering candidate is swept under the rug.
  • NunesNunes June 2008
    I think the closeness of the race is precisely why he shouldn't choose her as a veep. The party desperately needs to get over the primary hump and I think giving Hillary a prop up like this wouldn't go far in terms of quelling the masses of people who wouldn't vote for him just because he beat her. The only people you might be able to shore up with this kind of move would be the FL and MI folks. I hope more people come to realize that she'd be able to accomplish more with her clout on the floor of the senate than she would with the more or less figurehead position of VP. Furthermore, I don't want him getting capped by some fool who wants Hillary to sit in the oval office.

\2 cents
  • BlackLightBlackLight June 2008
    frankly, obama is pretty likely as it stands now to be getting capped sometime between now and november simply because of the color of his skin. sad and unfortunate, but true
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership