American Citizenship
  • BrianBrian January 2008
    Anyone here have any insight on how difficult it is to acquire American Citizenship, or at least whatever permit will allow me to live and work in the states?

I'd be highly interested in going about this if there's any likelyhood of it happening.
  • MagicMagic January 2008
    An ex-coworker and one of my current managers both had to take the citizenship test. If they can pass -- anyone should be able to.
  • fr4ggedfr4gged February 2008
    Brian, I'm going to say this once.

Do not get American Citizenship.

Get a work Visa, a green card, whatever. But do not get American Citizenship.

It's damn near impossible to get dual citizenship, and it's also very hard, nigh impossible to get your canadian citizenship again once you've given it up by becoming an american.
    I'm learning in my advertising course that getting a work visa is relatively easy in the states, as any decent employer will manage to provide it for you,
  • BrianBrian February 2008
    A work visa will not allow for the levels of work I wish to go into, such as law enforcement, but I would be willing to take it and a civilian job if it would lead to citizenship relatively soon (a few years).

Remember that I don't have an employer waiting for me in the states with arms wide open. I am a 22 year old guy in college with no American connections aside from one aunt.

But I am serious about this, so any help/suggestions are appreciated.
  • GovernorGovernor February 2008
    Going for citizenship would be challenging (you actually will need to do a lot of research into American history in order to pass the appropriate test), but I think it is worth your while. You will need to apply for a green card (google it), but as a Canadian citizen who will have a college degree, you shouldn't have any problem doing it.
  • crazyd1415crazyd1415 February 2008
    marry an american girl. citizenship right there.
  • romerashromerash February 2008
    QUOTE (fr4gged @ Feb 1 2008, 12:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    It's damn near impossible to get dual citizenship

I have dual citizenship ... It's not that hard
  • carto0ncarto0n February 2008
    just sneak across the border....you will be able to acquire a license, get a tax refund, and all the other bullshit illegals get. who needs to be a citizen?
    QUOTE (romerash @ Feb 1 2008, 01:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I have dual citizenship ... It's not that hard

American and Canadian is, because American Citizenship requires you give up your previous citizenship.
  • GovernorGovernor February 2008
    I don't think that's true at all, fragged.
  • jkarate212jkarate212 February 2008
    It's really sad...we took the test required for citizenship and like 60% of us failed it. Immigrants know more than we do..bummer aha
    QUOTE (Governor @ Feb 1 2008, 05:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I don't think that's true at all, fragged.

I'm pretty sure, because when I was looking into get dual-citizenship, and I have family in the states, I was informed that it's a very special circumstance to be able to hold dual between the US and another country, mainly because when you become a U.S. citizen, you are (generally) required to forfeit your previous citizenship. So I didn't go for it, once I'm finished school, the company in New York that hires a lot of grads from my program manages all the paperwork, without me having to be a U.S. citizen.

That being said, I am not 100% positive, so, if anybody has any information to the contrary, feel free to prove me wrong image/tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />
  • scrubblescrubble February 2008
    QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 1 2008, 12:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    A work visa will not allow for the levels of work I wish to go into, such as law enforcement, but I would be willing to take it and a civilian job if it would lead to citizenship relatively soon (a few years). I would be willing to give up my Canadian citizenship for American citizenship.

Remember that I don't have an employer waiting for me in the states with arms wide open. I am a 22 year old guy in college with no American connections aside from one aunt.

But I am serious about this, so any help/suggestions are appreciated.

I guess Canada really is that bad.
  • BillBill February 2008
    My roomate has dual citizenship American/Swiss. As far as I understand it it's far easier to pull off if you're already an American Citizen, and then apply for citizenship in a second country, as technically to become an American citizen they want you to renounce citizenship elseware. However, if you're already an american citizen there are some gray areas that allow you to pick up a second citizenship somewhere else without them taking away your citizenship here. So really, it's possible, but it's a pain in the ass.

• ebolaebola February 2008
    The form you need to apply for an American Citizenship is called N400 and variations of it. However, since there are so many applicants, there is a weeding process. After you sent in your application with your $400, you will get a notice saying that they will contact you within a year. (If you're lucky) Therefore, you should contact a lawyer before doing so. My family is going through this process and we waited 4 years with a green card before doing so. Basically, they have a year (or more) to deny you. So before you even apply, you need to make yourself as promising as possible. They will request every information on you.

Here are steps I'd recommend to get yourself into a better position before wasting $400:
    Get yourself a visa or if you're lucky a green card and start living here. H1, L1, L2, Permanent Residence
    Clear all your taxes
    Have a steady occupation
    Stay in the States as often as possible as you will be expected to give answers for extended leave from the States
    Register for the pre-draft
    Freshen your US government and politics before the interview (It's fairly easy if you don't suck; I knew enough to pass without studying)

The biggest hindrance is getting that first visa. It's much easier if you can get help or hints from the Canadian Embassy. (Trust me on this, they will work with you) Then, you'll work your way into better visas. I highly recommend getting permanent residence status before applying. Otherwise, your chances of even getting to the interview is slim as the citizenship lottery.

The other way is to marry an American citizen, who could sign a waiver to allow you to apply for citizenship in a much easier way.

I could provide more detail of which you inquire.
  • redboneredbone February 2008
    I'm single.
  • PheylanPheylan February 2008
    I think you have to have had legal, permanent residence in the US for 5 years before you can apply for citizenship.
  • BrianBrian February 2008
    Awesome, thanks for the info everyone. I will be looking into this as soon as I am done school in April.
  • BudweiserBudweiser February 2008
    No jobs in Canada?

Go work at the Oil Sands mine and make 120K a year...screw Law Enforcement image/dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="<_<" border="0" alt="dry.gif" />
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership