What will you do with your economic stimulus check...
  • scrubblescrubble March 2008
    what will you do with it? Save it? Spend it?
  • NunesNunes March 2008
    I'm spending the SHIT out of it. 2 reasons

1) It's money OUTSIDE of my budget and so is gravy
    2) It's what it's for. I might as well do something the government wants me to do since I more or less ignore them all the time.
  • GovernorGovernor March 2008
    Where is the "I'm not eligible" option? image/sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />
  • LethaLLethaL March 2008
    ROFL @ anunes signature
  • GachiGachi March 2008
    Saving it, however, if you are not aware of it yet, please understand it is NOT free money.

• scrubblescrubble March 2008
    QUOTE (Governor @ Mar 11 2008, 05:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Where is the "I'm not eligible" option? image/sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

I didn't think of it. That does suck though.

QUOTE (Gachi @ Mar 11 2008, 05:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Saving it, however, if you are not aware of it yet, please understand it is NOT free money.

You forgot to cross off the preacher.
  • cutchinscutchins March 2008
    how do i acquire one of said checks?
    Are you still a dependent, CJ?
  • cutchinscutchins March 2008
    QUOTE (Governor @ Mar 12 2008, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Are you still a dependent, CJ?

Yep. So, no go, right?
    Yeah, no go. College students really get fucked on this one.
  • azn+mikeazn mike March 2008
    is it true that this money will be held back on your next years tax return?
    This is basically an advance of a 2008 tax refund. So basically, if you are not a dependent, the IRS will "act" like you overpaid your taxes by $600 in 2008 and thus is granting you a $600 tax refund. This is an advance because they are estimating what you will earn by your 2008 tax return from your 2007 tax return. For most people, this will be accurate enough, however some will be effected by this in a positive way. There is no negative effect: if you listed 30k for your 2007 tax return and 200k for your 2008 tax return, you get to keep the money regardless. If, however, you listed 200k on your 2007 tax return (and therefor didn't receive a rebate at all) and then immediately lost your job and started working for 30k, you would see a $600 tax rebate after your next tax return.
  • NunesNunes March 2008
    Can somebody explain how this is supposed to ease economic tension in this country? It sounds like republicans would think it's stupid because this money can do more good in the hands of the people who already have it and democrats would think it's stupid because 600 bucks isn't worth dick in a country where people are all going to use it to pay off debt. Why not just skip the middlemen and give banks all the money outright asking politely for them to forgive some people's debts?
  • GachiGachi March 2008
    They hope people spend the money to help stimulate the economy, however people are going to go out and buy stuff made overseas, inflating their economy, not ours.
  • JeddHamptonJeddHampton March 2008
    QUOTE (Gachi @ Mar 12 2008, 05:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    They hope people spend the money to help stimulate the economy, however people are going to go out and buy stuff made overseas, inflating their economy, not ours.

This is a bit tricky. It is hard to not buy anything made overseas, but buying things in general does stimulate the economy. It's true that if everyone used their checks to buy American made products that our GDP will go up much more than if they bought Japanese/Chinese/Taiwanese made products. Services are included in GDP as well. So, you will help stimulate the economy, because you are buying it in America.

So saying that it does no good is a lie, but not a large one.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership