Westboro Baptist Church and protesting funerals
  • scrubblescrubble March 2008
    The Westboro Baptist Church had planned a protest of Eve Carson's funeral in Athens on Sunday, to further declare the demise of America.

First United Methodist Church 327 Lumpkin St. This is for the funeral of Eve Carson. Although her death was reportedly described as "a random crime," we know that this is nothing less than the Wrath of God upon the children of Disobediance. You have taught your children to cater to every lust and false religous system and to reject the Word of God. It does not matter that she was the student body president of the University of North Carolina. What matters here is that God did not slay YOU today and you have an opportunity to repent of your crimes against God. However, this is nothing less than the Quarrel of the Covenant. Like Esau, you have sold your birthright, america, and chosen to live as a whore. You have been cast out with no blessings, and now you are irreversibly headed for Hell. Now, "Go and cry unto the gods which ye have chosen; let them deliver you in the time of your tribulation." (Judges 10:14) "I spake unto thee in thy prosperity; but thou saidst, I will not hear. This hath been thy manner from thy youth, that thou obeyedst not my voice. The wind shall eat up all thy pastors, and thy lovers shall go into captivity: surely then shalt thou be ashamed and confounded for all thy wickedness." (Jeremiah 22:21-22) America is Doomed. Amen.

At what point does free speech cross the line? Is this hate speech? Does it really make sense for a modern preacher to use a message intended for Jews living 2600-2700 years ago (around the Exile) to castigate the current state of America?
  • NunesNunes March 2008
    They're idiots. A harmless, exceptionally small group of idiots. It's free speech and should be protected. What should also be protected is people's right to practice their religion without persecution. So these assholes should be kept as far away from any funeral as we can muster.
    nice sig anunes.
  • PheylanPheylan March 2008
    Did you mean to have the first two poll questions be the same?

I agree that it is free speech and needs to be protected, no matter how distasteful it is.
  • NunesNunes March 2008
    Will this act of speech create a dangerous situation?
    Was something said face-to-face that would incite immediate violence?
    Was the statement false, or put in a context that makes true statements misleading?
    Does the speech conflict with other compelling government or social interests?

Some basic tests regarding the limits of free speech. Some of these are debatable in this context.
  • GovernorGovernor March 2008
    The first amendment only awards free speech if it does not directly hinder another person's rights. In that regard, I think it is entirely reasonable to say that they have a right to protest, but they have no right to interrupt the ceremony.
  • cutchinscutchins March 2008
    if any of this retarded group are remotely visible or audible for anyone at the funeral they should be shot in the fucking face.
    QUOTE (Pheylan @ Mar 11 2008, 03:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Did you mean to have the first two poll questions be the same?

yes.
  • PheylanPheylan March 2008
    I like how I voted before they were changed, but managed to vote for the one that I agreed with after they were changed.
  • QUOTE (CJ. @ Mar 11 2008, 10:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    if any of this retarded group are remotely visible or audible for anyone at the funeral they should be shot in the fucking face.

QFT
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership