hai i'm enlisting.
  • Retr0%5ERetr0^ March 2008
    Hey... so I've considered it for a year or so, and finally decided to enlist. At the end of the summer I will be enlisting in either the air force or the navy. I got a 93/100 on my ASVAB and a perfect score on the electronics subcategory of the test, so i can do pretty much any job i so desire within the chosen branch.

I still am not sure what job i would like to pursue within the military... But i'll be enlisting for 4 years i'm thinking. Unless i get lucky enough to land an air traffic controller job, in which case, the minimum is 6 years.

If anyone has any advice... i would appreciate it.

• jimmah7jimmah7 March 2008
    well if you're enlisting purely based on your test scores, i suggest thinking about it more, that test is extremely simple and i don't know anyone that has gotten below a 90.
  • cutchinscutchins March 2008
    I would suggest waiting til after the election to enlist so you'll know whether or not that fucking retard mccain will have us in iraq for 100 more years.
  • GachiGachi March 2008
    AF isn't front lines, unless you're Security Forces. That's why they consider the Air Force, the Chair Force. I've been told good things about the AF and was going to look into enlisting with a friend a few months back, but since then we haven't discussed it further.
    i'm not 14 jimmah... i'm not impressed by test scores so much that i think that is what i should do! When I drive around my hometown I see a place that I want to preserve. I see a way of life that I don't want it to feel threatened. I mentioned the scores so that you would understand that I have the option of any job in either branch.

AF and Navy are both considered 'safe' branches. And i'm not scared of war. The way I see it we are all meant to die sometime, if you live in constant fear of that death it can only come sooner. I will most likely be in an electronic type job anyway, which doesn't exactly scream front line duty.
  • coffeecoffee March 2008
    QUOTE (Retr0^ @ Mar 31 2008, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    i'm not 14

but god i wish you were
  • NunesNunes March 2008
    I say you wouldn't be talking about it here except to basically let us know that you are gonna do it. You seem like you have a couple things in mind which is better than going into it blind (which a surprising number of people do for some reason). You've probably done all the soul searching and whatnot over the past year and if you still think it's for you then it probably is. It's a hell of a commitment, but you know that of course. I just hope you keep as safe as you can if you choose to go the military route.

I've read horror stories over the past few years of people who were enlisting getting all railroaded into less than desirable positions, regardless of test scores, so just be careful and keep your eyes and ears open so you don't get screwed. Then again it's all heresay anyway. Though it's just good general advice.
    yerp, i wanted to let you guys know and see what you had to say. I've known some people on here for 3+ years.

I have indeed done soul searching and whatnot for awhile and I know it is I want to do with the next 4 or so years of my life.

I've looked into it alot via sources over the internet and will be talking to all the recruiters this week.

I know what you're saying. From what i've read the Air Force honors your desired job paths much more then most branches. Also my stepdad is a lawyer and he'll be there for the contract arrangements and such, so that greatly decreases my chances of getting screwed hopefully hah. Even if I get screwed, I know that serving is where I want to be so if uncle sam needs me in a different position so be it.
  • NunesNunes March 2008
    Hey man, more power to you. Life is what you make it and there are few ways to make something out of your life as directly as to serve your country. Hell, most of us Americans get railroaded into lives we don't want anyway, you're at least picking something you feel good about!
  • GachiGachi March 2008
    Retro, from what I was told by a recruiter, and by many AF members, you pick 3 or 5 jobs pretaining to your desired likings, and while they don't have to honor it, they will take your choices into their decision process.

When I joined the Army back in 2001, my contract stated I was to enlist as a 95B Military Police. There was no way they could change it as it was in a contract, unless the contract was breached.

Do some more research on the whole "promised job" issue, as I know many branches don't promise, but allow you to choose. Same goes for duty stations. You pick your top 8 areas (can't remember if it's 5 in the US and 3 international, and they will take it into consideration but put you where the AF needs you. This may be one of your choices, but once again, is not guaranteed.
  • Retr0%5ERetr0^ April 2008
    QUOTE (Gachi @ Mar 31 2008, 10:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Retro, from what I was told by a recruiter, and by many AF members, you pick 3 or 5 jobs pretaining to your desired likings, and while they don't have to honor it, they will take your choices into their decision process.

When I joined the Army back in 2001, my contract stated I was to enlist as a 95B Military Police. There was no way they could change it as it was in a contract, unless the contract was breached.

Do some more research on the whole "promised job" issue, as I know many branches don't promise, but allow you to choose. Same goes for duty stations. You pick your top 8 areas (can't remember if it's 5 in the US and 3 international, and they will take it into consideration but put you where the AF needs you. This may be one of your choices, but once again, is not guaranteed.

ya, from what i've read. if the job is needed badly, and specific enough. IE has high requirements and technical ability you pretty much get your job contracted. But if you fail that school, they put you wherever you need. But my stepdad is a lawyer so he'll do what he can to get things contracted.

But once again, its the military... so you're gonna get put where you're needed. but i'm okay with that
  • EvestayEvestay April 2008
    thanks for deciding to serve! I wish I had the chance to serve but I always assumed that not having a hand would disqualify me =\
  • smacKsmacK April 2008
    stevn....i love you
  • MeatonMeaton April 2008
    i failed my asvab LOL sso blah LOL ....

• respiterespite April 2008
    Being in AFROTC has given me a bit of an insight into this issue. The last I heard you choose your top 10 job choices. Your 3 top choices are your "job preferences" and based on a) your performance in Basic, image/cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> your scores, c) the Air Force's need, and d) the Air Force's need (the last 2 being the most important) you will be placed. Contracts can be nullified for any number of reasons and it is very easy for any branch of the military to say you broke your contract in some way (even as small a breach as failing one part of a PT test). The Air Force is better than most branches in this respect, but they still assign people based on THEIR need, not your want. That being said, the military is a very good career path. I believe 19 Air Force personnel have died in Iraq since the war started (<0.5% of total casualties) and from talking to people who have been deployed I understand why. Air Force bases are designed specifically around protecting their personnel, and less than 2% of their personnel ever go outside the wire. So it is much safer than the asshole media would lead you to believe, though there is still a risk.
    I commend your decision to join the military, whichever branch you choose, and suggest you write down any questions you have and ask both recruiters and members of that branch (if possible) the same questions since recruiters have been trained to put a positive spin on everything. Contrary to popular belief these people have NOT been told to lie about anything and if they do lie about anything they can be brought up on charges. Therefore, don't go into these interviews with complete distrust, but do be sure you double-check anything possible if it doesn't sound quite right. Also a great way to get information is to talk to a recruiter about another branch - say to an Army recruiter "I was talking to an Air Force recruiter the other day and they said the Army has 90% of the total casualties in Iraq. Why is this?" Questions like these typically will give you better, more in-depth answers than asking simple questions like "Why have so many Army personnel died in Iraq?"
    Again, I wish you the best of luck in your military career and commend you on your choice to serve.
  • 0%3Duid%28root%290=uid(root) April 2008
    gl.

mm2
  • Retr0%5ERetr0^ April 2008
    hahaha, cs is going to haunt me into my military career =p If i went into the army I would be plagued by dementia and would end up screaming YOU IDIOT!!! YOU CAN'T BUY AN AWP SECOND ROUND!!!! WHEN WILL THESE BITCHES LO3?~?
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership