Miscarriages and Art
  • NunesNunes April 2008
    For those who haven't been following this weird tale, a Yale Art student yesterday released a description of her senior project. The project was to be as follows:
    For the last 9 months she artificially inseminated herself as often as she could, then took herbal abortifacients to induce miscarriage, which she subsequently filmed in her bathtub/shower. The footage, as well as samples of her blood will be on display on a cube hanging from the gallery ceiling.

Since yesterday we have heard Yale reply that the girl's REAL project was a performance art piece in which she duped the media and the internets into thinking she was doing this controverial thing. The discourse and unified outrage on both sides of the abortion issue being her ultimate artistic vision.

Since then we have heard the girl say that this is a load of crap and she totally did it. And the display will be there at the gallery, and that Yale's press release regarding the nature of her project misrepresents the true essence of her art.

I think she's batshit crazy either way. And an attention whore.

rational discussion on the subject begins below this line =v

I'm pro choice, but I feel this was taking things too far, and was in bad taste to begin with
  • coffeecoffee April 2008
    QUOTE (ANunes @ Apr 18 2008, 01:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Art student

i stopped reading after those words because i knew something retarded and/or pretentious was to follow
  • FoowankoFoowanko April 2008
    What a weirdo. Might as well have the baby and then ritualistically kill it in the name of "art".
  • fratersangfratersang April 2008
    Kinda weird the timing of events, but just recently there was a similiar article about a dog starving and dying being the focus of an art exhibit in Costa Rica, google the story if you havent read about it. Like this story, the truth has yet to be detirmined.
  • fratersangfratersang April 2008
    QUOTE (coffee @ Apr 18 2008, 03:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    i stopped reading after those words because i knew something retarded and/or pretentious was to follow

Being an art student myself...i find that kinda disrespectful image/dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="<_<" border="0" alt="dry.gif" />
  • GovernorGovernor April 2008
    Who cares?

Well, clearly you guys do. So I guess the more appropriate question is "why do you care?"
  • Gotta second Gov's motion.
  • PsychoBudPsychoBud April 2008
    QUOTE (fratersang @ Apr 18 2008, 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Kinda weird the timing of events, but just recently there was a similiar article about a dog starving and dying being the focus of an art exhibit in Costa Rica, google the story if you havent read about it. Like this story, the truth has yet to be detirmined.

it's mentioned on http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/world/...s_10039166.html,
    http://www.transworldnews.com/NewsStory.as...3580&cat=14, and a rel="nofollow" href="http://"http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/f...za-shvarts.aspx doesn't appear to be a hoax with those sources

ALIZA SHVARTS

It’s the dream of many American parents to see their sons or daughters studying at an ivy league institution like Yale University, but thanks to a recent art project by Yale undergraduate Aliza Shvarts, moms and dads may be rethinking the benefits of such an education. For her fourth-year project, Ms. Shvarts artificially inseminated herself multiple times (“as often as possible”), then regularly took drugs to induce abortions over a period of nine months. She filmed herself having the miscarriages in a bathtub and kept the blood that resulted.

The delightful result of this off-putting exercise will be a gallery display in which a cube covered in plastic sheeting is suspended from the ceiling and drenched with Ms. Shvarts’s blood (plus a little Vaseline to keep things moist). Meanwhile, video footage of Ms. Shvarts experiencing her miscarriages will be projected onto the sides of the cube. This is one project that won’t be appearing in Yale’s recruiting materials.
  • Wouldn't you know it, Encyclopedia Dramatica has already written an article about it.
  • PotatoPotato April 2008
    QUOTE (fratersang @ Apr 18 2008, 04:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Being an art student myself...i find that kinda disrespectful image/dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="<_<" border="0" alt="dry.gif" />

Much to my chagrin, being an artist of many forms, he does have a point. A LOT of modern art is just plain dolled up bullshit. A prime example would be my school's technical theatre director's final for one of his art degrees, he knew that the judges would eat the PoMo up, so he went on stage with a box of Trix, a bowl, a spoon, and some milk and he poured himself a bowl, took a bite, and said "Trix are for kids."

He was the only one who got an A.

I still like post modernism, absurdism, abstractism, dadaism, and impressionism just the same, though. Just some douche-troughs get carried away with it and get wrapped up in a pretentious torrent of shovenistic circle jerking.

Damn shame, too.
  • NunesNunes April 2008
    careful. You're almost doing it too image/tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

pretentious torrent of shovenistic circle jerking
    in the vein of being pretentious, it's "chauvinistic"
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership