LNG Tanker law + Veto goodness
  • NunesNunes April 2008
    More fun in American Legislative Policy!

The house tossed this bill out there. $8.4 bn. Start funding the Coast Guard to allow them to protect Liquid Natural Gas Tankers coming in and out of offshore LNG refineries.

Bush threatened to veto the bill. It costs too much to protect us from terrorists here in the US.

A farker said, "I'm sick and tired of being told that the threats are so great that they should be allowed to tap phones without warrant and to torture people, but oh, it's too expensive to guard giant floating bombs. Either there's a real danger or there isn't."

I agree. 8.4 IS expensive, but so is this war that has not adequately proven to make us any safer... (about $515 bn) Maybe we should tack on a bit more to protect those floating bombs. Supposedly these things blow up BIG when they go. A little smaller than a TAC nuke but a little bigger than most conventional bombs.
  • PsychoBudPsychoBud April 2008
    to give you scale, ANunes, a "ten thousand pound bomb" (also known as an "arc light bomb" in the military) is a large cannister with 5 tons of LP/LNG in it dropped from a C-130 or similar aircraft with a proximity trigger on it.

An arc light, used in Desert Storm, was dropped 22 miles away from me, and yet, for about 30 seconds, it was daylight bright where we were.

A LNG boat typically ships 500-1000 tons of the stuff, I believe...and an arc light is used to level small to medium villages (small to medium in Iraqui terms, anyhow, dunno how that fits into American town size, but an LNG boat could easily ruin a whole harbor if it went "boom")
  • PsychoBudPsychoBud April 2008
    You know what i find scarier, tho? the "3 oz of liquid bottle law"...it takes far less than 3oz of serin or ricin in liquid form to kill everyone on an airplane...so a small hand sanitizer bottle could easily do it. add that th the fact that you can CHECK large bottles in, and have them carried in the hold....
  • NunesNunes April 2008
    it's this kind of nonsense that should make everyone question the validity of the war. I mean nobody is happy with it, but why isn't congress, the people who are theoretically aware of ALL these laws, calling out the administration for this clearly inconsistent policy. We're worried about terrorists, but only where there is oil. Not Irish terrorists. Not African terrorists. Not American terrorists. Not terrorists at sea. Just the Arab kind.
  • EvestayEvestay April 2008
    QUOTE (ANunes @ Apr 25 2008, 02:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    We're worried about terrorists, but only where there is oil. Not Irish terrorists. Not African terrorists. Not American terrorists. Not terrorists at sea. Just the Arab kind.

thats totally unfair. there are fronts to the war on islamic-facism all over the globe so dont buy john edward's assertion that there is no war on terror.
  • NunesNunes April 2008
    QUOTE (Evestay @ Apr 28 2008, 11:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    thats totally unfair. there are fronts to the war on islamic-facism all over the globe so dont buy john edward's assertion that there is no war on terror.

It's not John Edward's assertion. It's mine. We just sent some more Marines back into Afghanistan, which isn't an oil producer... but apart from that and Iraq where are all these other fronts to the "war on terror"?

And besides. Let's say it *isn't* about oil. Ok, so we're only interested in Islamic terrorists. So we're racists. That's much better, you're right.
    Islamic terrorists can be Arab (Saudi Arabia, Syria, Iraq), Persian (Iran), Asian (Pakistan, India, Indonesia), White European (England, France), American (Adam Gadahn) etc etc
  • NunesNunes April 2008
    Which is why we're fighting them in Iraq, and... where else?
    thats pedestrian man.. we arent fighting them anywhere else because we lack the willpower and resources
    edit: i noticed this story today: http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/...,550583,00.html
    After an initial assessment, it was clear that the two short films feature the German Islamist Eric B. from Neuenkirchen in Saarland. For the past few weeks, a publicity campaign in Kabul (more...) has focused on finding him and his presumed accomplice Houssain al-M.

The new images are militaristic. The 20-year-old German convert is seen in the first film standing in front of a mountain, with a machine gun thrown over his shoulder and wearing an ammunition belt. Abdul al-Gaffar, B.'s nom de guerre, addresses his audience in barely audible and unusually halting German. First of all he praises the suicide attack carried out by Cüneyt Ciftci (more...), the 28-year-old German-born Turk who blew himself up in the Afghan province of Khost at the beginning of March. B. describes this as a "good deed" which sent many infidels "to hell."

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/...,545410,00.html
    The men are identified as Eric B., a 20-year-old German Muslim convert, and Houssain al-M., a 24-year-old Lebanese native who holds a German passport.

Federal investigators connect the men to the Sauerland terror cell, a group of three would-be terrorists arrested in Germany last September. Investigators believe that the cell, comprised of two German converts to Islam and one Turkish national, was plotting a major attack on US military bases in Germany (more...).

The Sauerland group and the two men named by German authorities this week also share connections to the Islamic Jihad Union (more...), a terrorist organization that runs a training camp in northern Pakistan. Investigators believe all five men trained at the camp.

= german nationals converting to islam, training in pakistan, and GOING to afghanistan to carry out attacks (they could go to iraq just as easily which shows we are fighting them 'over there')
  • NunesNunes April 2008
    Ok. I concede that Islamo-fascism extends beyond the middle east. Any time an entire culture can be made out to be victims there will be worldwide (if not widespread) support for them. I mean we will never ever ever march an army into Germany to root out the terrorists. And there are other kinds of terrorists besides the Islamic ones. It's the most inconsistent campaign possible. Whether it's a war for oil is, of course, debatable. But what is abundantly clear to me is that it ISN'T a war on terror.

In Iraq we've seen it heralded as a necessary precaution against WMD's that could fall into terrorist hands under Hussein's irresponsible rule. No WMD's. We've seen it heralded as a war against tyranny as we toppled a cruel and militant dictator. We've seen it heralded as a neighborly responsibility to our comrades in the region to leave the country stable after doing all this. We're not fighting terrorists over there from what I've heard and read and seen. We're protecting our soldiers and allies from the terrorists that happen to be there.

It's like this:
    Some dude threatens to stab your family. Do you
    A- Sit in your house with a shotgun and wait
    B- Leave your family and look for the guy

If you chose B you're missing the point. If I'm not home I can't guarantee my family's safety. If I'm hunting some homicidal asshole I can't guarantee my safety either, and if I die I certainly can't help my family.

So by my thinking they are not only failing to offer me adequate protection. They are spending a SHITLOAD of money doing it, and killing a significant number of innocents as well as getting our guys killed. It doesn't even make political sense given current approval ratings. I can't think of a justification that I can attribute to what I believe to be a farily intelligent group of leaders except that it's in our best interest not just to root out terrorists for our physical security, but almost more importantly to improve the stability in Iraq. And since the only things Iraq has been able to offer are intolerance and oil... I've bought into the theory that we're not trying to import the intolerance.
    QUOTE (ANunes @ Apr 30 2008, 09:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    We're not fighting terrorists over there from what I've heard and read and seen. We're protecting our soldiers and allies from the terrorists that happen to be there.

It's like this:
    Some dude threatens to stab your family. Do you
    A- Sit in your house with a shotgun and wait
    B- Leave your family and look for the guy

If you chose B you're missing the point. If I'm not home I can't guarantee my family's safety. If I'm hunting some homicidal asshole I can't guarantee my safety either, and if I die I certainly can't help my family.

So by my thinking they are not only failing to offer me adequate protection. They are spending a SHITLOAD of money doing it, and killing a significant number of innocents as well as getting our guys killed.

I would think of your example like this:
    The guy wants to kill you really badly no matter where you are and he doesnt care if he kills the people around you in the process. Do you stay home to fight him and let there be the possibility that he blows up your house and your family because you are there? Or do you announce that you are going to be leaving and will be willing to face himm away from your family?

and.. we are fighting the terrorists over there. Al Qaida claims Iraq is their number 1 front. Osama bin Laden wants Baghdad to be the capital of his Islamic caliphate.
  • NunesNunes April 2008
    What Osama Bin-Laden wants, what Al-Qaeda claims, are not necessarily reality.

And why would you announce that you are going to face them away from your family? That's just asking for them to go straight to your loved ones. You said it yourself... these are terrorists. What makes you believe anything they say. And what makes you think they won't blow your house up just because you aren't there.

9/11 was an attack on civilians designed to send a message to our leadership. It worked and we are running the risk of playing right into their hands.
    Letter from al-Qaida #2 al-Zawahiri to al-Qaida-in-Iraq #1 Zarqawi (now dead) in 2005:
    http://www.globalsecurity.org/security/lib...er_9jul2005.htm

I want to keep corresponding with you about the details of what is going on in dear Iraq

Dear...
    want to be the first to congratulate you for what God has blessed you with in terms of fighting battle in the heart of the Islamic world, which was formerly the field for major battles in Islam's history, and what is now the place for the greatest battle of Islam in this era

Iraq is the heart of the Islamic world...
    As for the battles that are going on in the far-flung regions of the Islamic world, such as Chechnya, Afghanistan, Kashmir, and Bosnia, they are just the groundwork and the vanguard for the major battles which have begun in the heart of the Islamic world.

Worldwide jihad
    If our intended goal in this age is the establishment of a caliphate in the manner of the Prophet and if we expect to establish its state predominantly-according to how it appears to us-in the heart of the Islamic world, then your efforts and sacrifices-God permitting-are a large step directly towards that goal.

Iraq will be the center of the caliphate.
    The first stage: Expel the Americans from Iraq.

The second stage: Establish an Islamic authority or amirate, then develop it and support it until it achieves the level of a caliphate- over as much territory as you can to spread its power in Iraq, i.e., in Sunni areas, is in order to fill the void stemming from the departure of the Americans, immediately upon their exit and before un-Islamic forces attempt to fill this void, whether those whom the Americans will leave behind them, or those among the un-Islamic forces who will try to jump at taking power.

There is no doubt that this amirate will enter into a fierce struggle with the foreign infidel forces, and those supporting them among the local forces, to put it in a state of constant preoccupation with defending itself, to make it impossible for it to establish a stable state which could proclaim a caliphate, and to keep the Jihadist groups in a constant state of war, until these forces find a chance to annihilate them.

The third stage: Extend the jihad wave to the secular countries neighboring Iraq.

The fourth stage: It may coincide with what came before: the clash with Israel, because Israel was established only to challenge any new Islamic entity.

Who's next? Oh thats right, the great satan America.
    My raising this idea-I don't claim that it's infallible-is only to stress something extremely important. And it is that the mujahedeen must not have their mission end with the expulsion of the Americans from Iraq, and then lay down their weapons, and silence the fighting zeal. We will return to having the secularists and traitors holding sway over us. Instead, their ongoing mission is to establish an Islamic state, and defend it, and for every generation to hand over the banner to the one after it until the Hour of Resurrection.

= leaving the Middle East entirely will not placate them as Paulnuts believe
    If we look at the two short-term goals, which are removing the Americans and establishing an Islamic amirate in Iraq, or a caliphate if possible, then, we will see that the strongest weapon which the mujahedeen enjoy - after the help and granting of success by God - is popular support from the Muslim masses in Iraq, and the surrounding Muslim countries.

Nope, I definitely do not want AQ to gain in popularity.
    My answer is, firstly: Things may develop faster than we imagine. The aftermath of the
    collapse of American power in Vietnam-and how they ran and left their agents-is noteworthy.

The US is a paper tiger.
    For that reason, many of your Muslim admirers amongst the common folk are wondering about your attacks on the Shia. The sharpness of this questioning increases when the attacks are on one of their mosques, and it increases more when the attacks are on the mausoleum of Imam Ali Bin Abi Talib, may God honor him. My opinion is that this matter won't be acceptable to the Muslim populace however much you have tried to explain it, and aversion to this will continue.

Indeed, questions will circulate among mujahedeen circles and their opinion makers about the correctness of this conflict with the Shia at this time. Is it something that is unavoidable? Or, is it something can be put off until the force of the mujahed movement in Iraq gets stronger? And if some of the operations were necessary for self-defense, were all of the operations necessary? Or, were there some operations that weren't called for? And is the opening of another front now in addition to the front against the Americans and the government a wise decision? Or, does this conflict with the Shia lift the burden from the Americans by diverting the mujahedeen to the Shia, while the Americans continue to control matters from afar? And if the attacks on Shia leaders were necessary to put a stop to their plans, then why were there attacks on ordinary Shia? Won't this lead to reinforcing false ideas in their minds, even as it is incumbent on us to preach the call of Islam to them and explain and communicate to guide them to the truth? And can the mujahedeen kill all of the Shia in Iraq? Has any Islamic state in history ever tried that? And why kill ordinary Shia considering that they are forgiven because of their ignorance? And what loss will befall us if we did not attack the Shia? And do the brothers forget that we have more than one hundred prisoners - many of whom are from the leadership who are wanted in their countries - in the custody of the Iranians? And even if we attack the Shia out of necessity, then why do you announce this matter and make it public, which compels the Iranians to take counter measures? And do the brothers forget that both we and the Iranians need to refrain from harming each other at this time in which the Americans are targeting us?

AQ and Iran willing to work together.
    Among the things which the feelings of the Muslim populace who love and support you will never find palatable - also- are the scenes of slaughtering the hostages. You shouldn't be deceived by the praise of some of the zealous young men and their description of you as the shaykh of the slaughterers, etc. They do not express the general view of the admirer and the supporter of the resistance in Iraq, and of you in particular by the favor and blessing of God.

And your response, while true, might be: Why shouldn't we sow terror in the hearts of the Crusaders and their helpers? And isn't the destruction of the villages and the cities on the heads of their inhabitants more cruel than slaughtering? And aren't the cluster bombs and the seven ton bombs and the depleted uranium bombs crueler than slaughtering? And isn't killing by torture crueler than slaughtering? And isn't violating the honor of men and women more painful and more destructive than slaughtering?

All of these questions and more might be asked, and you are justified. However this does not change the reality at all, which is that the general opinion of our supporter does not comprehend that, and that this general opinion falls under a campaign by the malicious, perfidious, and fallacious campaign by the deceptive and fabricated media. And we would spare the people from the effect of questions about the usefulness of our actions in the hearts and minds of the general opinion that is essentially sympathetic to us.

No wonder the people of Iraq turned on him and formed the Awakening Councils.
  • NunesNunes April 2008
    QUOTE (Evestay @ Apr 30 2008, 12:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Letter from al-Qaida #2 al-Zawahiri to al-Qaida-in-Iraq #1 Zarqawi (now dead) in 2005:
    http://www.globalsecurity.org/security/lib...er_9jul2005.htm

Dear...
    Iraq is the heart of the Islamic world...
    In a surprising diplomatic turn of events a leader of a radical Islamic group referred to a fellow Islamic radical's country fondly in the opening of his letter. Scandal.

Worldwide jihad
    The letter never said this

Iraq will be the center of the caliphate.
    Read: Radical Islamic Fundamentalist leader, Al-Zawahiri wants Iraq to be the center of the caliphate

Who's next? Oh thats right, the great satan America.
    That just said they wanted to get us the hell out. There was nothing threatening to our homeland security in that passage

= leaving the Middle East entirely will not placate them as Paulnuts believe
    That bit just sounds like a call by a (and I can't stress this enough) radical Islamic leader to make sure that his people DON'T just stop fighting. Usually these kinds of calls mean there are concerns that people are losing conviction. I don't think you're reading this right.

Nope, I definitely do not want AQ to gain in popularity.
    Fortunately it hasn't... making this letter appear even more like propaganda and even less like some sort of wartime correspondence between conspiring military leaders...

The US is a paper tiger.
    One could argue that leaving a country when your presence there has accomplished nothing is a sign of weakness. One could also argue that doing the opposite is a sign of stupidity.

AQ and Iran willing to work together.
    Al-Zawahiri said that he'd like for Iran to work with AQ because he feels that both his organization and Iran are victims of the same American oppressors. This isn't some sort of treaty. Stop making it seem like things are worse than they are.

No wonder the people of Iraq turned on him and formed the Awakening Councils.
    You should be a journalist. You are excellent at displaying ambiguous information and telling me what to think about it.

I don't mean to sound like a jack ass, which I probably am, but I've got no reason to believe that anything al-Zawahiri says or said about, basically, anything. All of his power hinges on the contingency that the people he's leading, and the rest of the world, believe that Al-Qaeda is a super powerful, super dangerous, and super dedicated group of people. I don't buy it. They are dedicated. But blowing your supporters up on the enemy is, and always has been, a desperation move. Granted, it took a couple of big ass bombs to destroy the Japanese war machine 50 odd years ago, but that was an entire nation. We're fighting a fairly small, but loud, group of people.

They never had the resources to do the damage to this country that we did to ourselves trying to protect ourselves from them.

They killed 3000 americans
    We killed 4000 americans
    They destroyed a symbol of the American economy
    We destroyed the American economy
    They united the country under a banner of patriotism
    We tarnished the international image of our country for generations to come

We're much better at it than they are anyway.
    bah I tried so hard to convince you =\
  • EvestayEvestay May 2008
    http://patdollard.com/2008/04/ap-news-aler...d-in-airstrike/
    MOGADISHU, Somalia (AP) - The man believed to be the head of al-Qaida in Somalia was killed in an overnight airstrike along with eight other people, an Islamic insurgent group said Thursday.

It was not immediately clear who was behind the airstrike, but was almost certainly the United States.

Over the past year, the U.S. military has attacked several suspected extremists in Somalia, most recently in March when the U.S. Navy fired at least one missile into a southern Somali town.

I guess we have been fighting them elsewhere =)
  • NunesNunes May 2008
    QUOTE (Evestay @ May 1 2008, 03:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    http://patdollard.com/2008/04/ap-news-aler...d-in-airstrike/

I guess we have been fighting them elsewhere =)

touche sir.

But we should still be more focused on protecting ourselves rather than leaving ourselves open for buttfuckin.
  • PsychoBudPsychoBud May 2008
    Anunes, I don't know how young you are, but if you're over 25 you should remember that the war in Iraq is separate from the war on terror, our presence at this time is because of our fears of the results of a civil war in the region, we complete our objective with the overthrow of Hussein and the Ba'athist regime, we were asked by the UN to maintain a presence to avoid local civil war, and have maintained our presence beyond that original request while attempting to back and shore up the new government, while allowing it to establish itself firmly enough to survive. The insurgency is part of the group that wants to topple the new IRAQI government and install one of their own, against majority rule (the current government was democratically elected under interim government election process), they're targeting us partially because we're preventing that.
  • NunesNunes May 2008
    I'm 21 foo. I realize that technically you're right, but it sounds like a load of crap. That's like saying that Vietnam was separate from the "war" on communism. In 20 years this occupation will be intrinsically related to our "war on terrorism" rhetoric.

But yeah, the UN can be considered responsible for our continued stay there. It was a kind of "your broke it you bought it" sort of thing. But we went there in the first place because:

George Bush and Tony Blair were explicit that the decision to invade Iraq rested on what Bush called a "single question".[36] This was the allegation that Iraq possessed Weapons of Mass Destruction, including nuclear weapons[37] of which it had to disarm.
    - Wikipedia (with citations)

We were worried about said WMD's because we were told that Hussein had ties to terrorists, specifically Al-Qaeda.

But no. It's not part of the war on terror.
    yes it is part of the war on terror! al-qaida claims iraq as its #1 front as indicated above!
  • BillBill May 2008
    QUOTE (Evestay @ May 1 2008, 06:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    yes it is part of the war on terror! al-qaida claims iraq as its #1 front as indicated above!

You realize you're disagreeing with the one person in the thread who attempted to back you up, now, right?
    QUOTE (ANunes @ May 1 2008, 12:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I'm 21 foo. I realize that technically you're right, but it sounds like a load of crap. That's like saying that Vietnam was separate from the "war" on communism. In 20 years this occupation will be intrinsically related to our "war on terrorism" rhetoric.

But yeah, the UN can be considered responsible for our continued stay there. It was a kind of "your broke it you bought it" sort of thing. But we went there in the first place because:

- Wikipedia (with citations)

We were worried about said WMD's because we were told that Hussein had ties to terrorists, specifically Al-Qaeda.

But no. It's not part of the war on terror.

Actually, Bush and Blair were concerned about WMD because Hussein had threatened Israel with use of a missile against it that violated the cease-fire agreement of 1991...why the hell we ONCE AGAIN ran to defend Israel is beyond me, but they're considered a political ally, and we did have an international contract vis a vis that cease fire agreement, which HUSSEIN petitioned the U.N. for in 1991 to begin with, to end our assault which was our reaction to him invading another ally, Kuwait in 1990.

WMD may not have been found, but remains of facilities to produce them which had obviously not been dismantled when they were supposed to be, nor had they been dismantled properly according to the agreement were, beyond a shadow of a doubt, found, as were missiles of types that were banned by this same treaty...he broke the treaty and we were well within our international rights to resume hostilities as a result.

And evestay, NOW it is considered part of "the war on terror" because al-quaeda is supplying insurgents and equipment to certain groups of the insurgency...mostly because they have a vested interest in getting a friendly government in place, instead of the democratically elected one currently serving. Iraq isn't part of the "war on terror", but "Operation Enduring Freedom" (the part that came AFTER toppling Ba'athist Iraq) became part of that war when the insurgency started using terroristic means to attack, and started getting people and supplies from self-proclaimed jiihadists.
    fair enough
  • NunesNunes May 2008
    You have a good memory Psycho, and an excellent sense of the real scope of this conflict. But I remember Colin Powell's address to the UN. And if you're trying to tell me that we didn't go into Iraq because of a salt shaker full of anthrax and suitcase WMD mythology, I'm shocked.

There's 2 pages before but they're not the bread and butter of his Top 10 Why-we-should-wipe-Iraq-as-we-know-it-today-off-the-map List

Colin Powell's UN Address 2/5/2003
    43 days before the invasion of Iraq.
    Oh no doubt they thought there was something more...we had "good" intelligence from Egypt that had Hussein trying to sell WMD components and products to Egyptian "terrorist" cells. Information that later turned out to be smoke and mirrors, and possibly manufactured as part of a US operation (in which case this wasn't "conspiracy", but was a case of one hand not knowing what the other was up to), this is true, but we did know of violations of the agreement, which was reason enough to justify our action under international law, even if the rest of the reasons given were so much B.S. (which, I admit, many of them were "aimed at the gut, not the mind" attempts to get the majority who won't think with anything else, or who have short memories...this was 10 years after the fact, after all, and "ancient history" in the eyes of the second biggest group of voters (the young voters) in the nation).

But what I'm saying is we had valid reason, we had rational reason, and we had legal reason to start this up...after that, I question whether we should have agreed to stay in place, or whether we should have told the U.N. to staff it with Internat'l troops, if they were so concerned with propping up a "democratic form of government in Iraq" that may or may not be feasible.

Dick Cheny himself stated that Iraq and Afghanistan are just the first steps in "the endless war at the end of the petroleum age"...he may be right, we may NOT be able to stay out of conflict once we hit the "Hubbard Peak" of oil production, which is projected to be no later than 2010 (and likely already happened) at this stage of technological development. Then again, with oil companies showing record profits, maybe the expense of producing a barrel of oil has not yet increased to the point projected by Hubbard.

Unquestionably, soon enough we'll reach the point where it becomes progressively more expensive to extract the same amount of oil from the Earth (we're only able to skim off the top 30% of the world's known oil reserves at current levels of technology, and even with this new record-breaking reserve found in Brazil, we'll consume it in snap time...with better technology we could pump more out, cheaper, but it hasn't happened yet...I'm betting it will shortly after the Hubbard peak makes itself known in retrospect, as oil companies try to keep a major market share while new technology, such as the HHO engine that uses solar power to turn water into HHO (note, not hydrogen and oxygen, but a new configuration of two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom which forms a gas that burns exothermically and returns to water form...it takes more energy to produce than it produces itself, of course, but this is true of every renewable resource, by definition, but the power supplied is solar electricity, of which we can have a surplus simply by farming our deserts, which is already being done in CA for a large percentage of their total electrical consumption...this just more efficiently turns solar power to usable energy than direct conversion of solar-to-electricity) makes an inroad...either the oil companies will change to producing these new fuels, they'll use new technology to try to retain their "market share" of energy production, with ever more failing efforts until they go "extinct", or they'll just fold as new technology successfully replaces them instead of supporting them...it doesn't matter which, it'll be an economic "bump" in the road, no worse than the Depression, no better then the 1970's oil recession...we may be in political chaos and conflict as a result of oil barons losing their hold on the world, but it's nothing "serious" to worry about...we'll get through it, as a race, and probably as a Nation, as well.
  • NunesNunes May 2008
    Now I was a bit young to care too much at the outset. That's how long this shits been going down. So I don't remember it all TOO clearly. But I don't remember thinking the reasons were very rational. The official deal had to do with Hussein's failure to cooperate with weapons inspectors, right? He had some agency he made up to monitor the inspectors, he denied having or making weapons and we had seen evidence that at the very least he was trying to make something. All well and good reasons to forcibly go in and police the situation.

Reasons throughout the process:
    1) Ensure that Iraq doesn't have WMD's and eliminate the country's capability to make them.
    later
    2) Unseat the tyrannical ruler who was not in fact making the WMD's. (this is my big problem, "He doesn't have wmds after all! Well... as long as we're here..." It's bullshit.
    then
    3) We have freed the people of Iraq. Violence will be high for a while during the transition. We should stay the course.
    4) There have been votes and an elected official has been selected! We will oversee this governments development and protect its leaders. We should stay the course.
    5) Violence is down. The war is working. We should stay the course.
    6) Violence is up. If we leave now it will be a disaster. We should stay the course.
    7) Bad Guy X has been caught. Only 929028 terrorists to go! We should stay the course.
    8) Good Guy X has been killed in action. We would be doing him/her a dishonor to leave now. We should stay the course.

So based on the less than stellar record of spinning everything into whatever it needs at the time, I don't know why we should believe anything they've ever said really. As for the REAL reasons. The official reasons. I don't think they were justification for war. We were scared and angry. We didn't go to war with Russia when they WERE setting WMD's up in our backyard. What happened to responsible leadership and accountability?
    Good questions, all....I still agree with unseating Hussein, but then again, I thought we should do it back in '91, when I was over there, and got stopped by an "emergency halt" less than 50 miles from Baghdad, while Hussein pleaded with the U.N. to stop "that nasty coalition that was knocking on his front door".

What I don't agree with is our continued presence over there, that's the U.N.'s responsibility now (or should be), and the continuous "breeding" of excuses to maintain such a presence.
  • NunesNunes May 2008
    Doing it back in '91 would've been better because we wouldn't have needed to remind Americans that he was a jackoff.
    and maybe you could've pulled the trigger image/wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> If you're into that sort of thing.
  • PheylanPheylan May 2008
    I don't understand what the big deal about finding WMDs was. So we didn't find them, is that really a big surprise? When you have an entire country to hide them in, and a government ruled by fear and brutality, its pretty easy to make things disappear. We know he had WMDs. He used them countless times against his own people, killing tens of thousands of his own citizens. Trying to say "We never saw WMDs so he must not have them" is retarded. No one ever enforced his getting rid of them. There was never any record of how many he had, and he never let anyone into the country to double check that he was doing what the UN told him to do.
  • NunesNunes May 2008
    So what you're saying, Phey, is that the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence. Maybe that there are known knowns and known unknowns, but that it's important to also recognize the existence of unknown unknowns. Things we don't know that we don't know. image/tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />
    [post]
    My problem is that I don't think we actually went there for the WMDs. I think that word was said the thousands upon thousands of times it was said in the months leading up to our invasion of Iraq for no other reason than to rabble-rouse the US into caring enough to keep us quiet long enough to get us entrenched in a country that it perceived (falsely) as vital to our economic survival, but more importantly to their bottom line.

There. There's my crazy conspiracy theory that I've been trying to avoid saying.
    QUOTE (ANunes @ May 5 2008, 10:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Doing it back in '91 would've been better because we wouldn't have needed to remind Americans that he was a jackoff.
    and maybe you could've pulled the trigger image/wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> If you're into that sort of thing.

Would've done it gladly, had there not been a full corps of military closer to him than I was, we were third tier back at 50 miles when the "emergency halt" was called, closest troops were within artillery range, we had good information on exactly where he was (SATCOM technology watched him being moved into a particular bunker, he nearly shat himself publicly when our media released that information)....coulda been SOOOO easy to just tell the U.N. "well, HE started it" and fillibustering in the ICC system while finishing the job off real quickly....
  • NunesNunes May 2008
    Still we should protect LNG tankers.
    Yup, agreed, don't need a 5KT arc light going off in Seattle harbor
  • PheylanPheylan May 2008
    Berkeley might be ok though.
    Is Berkeley a portage town? That might not be TOO big a loss.
  • NunesNunes May 2008
    I only say Baltimore would be a loss because all the nice parts are around the harbor. So JUST the shit parts would be left.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership