Movie Experiences
  • GovernorGovernor May 2008
    I often find that my best experiences while watching a movie do not necessarily coincide with my favorite movies of all time. For example, the Godfather is one of the my favorite movies of all time -- I've seen it countless times and love it every single time I watch it. I think it is truly a masterpiece; it is a work of modern art. However, I can't recall the first time I saw it. I never really get the desire to relive that first time I saw Sonny gunned down at the tollbooth. So for me, that movie is incredible, but the experience I had when I first watched it was clearly forgettable.

I'm not sure exactly which movie I enjoyed the most when I first watched it, but I can say for certain that the original Matrix is up there on the list. It is far from my top-movie list, but I clearly remember when I first watched it. It was extremely exhilarating to watch, and I felt like I was really at the edge of my seat the entire time. I think the fact that I knew almost nothing about the movie before seeing it really helped me get sucked into it, and I remember enjoying every second of it. If I watch one of the original trailers for the movie, I get a strong desire to see the movie again but not just by throwing it into my DVD player. It's the type of movie I would really enjoy experiencing again for the first time -- the sense of amazement and excitement and the never-knowing-what-was-coming-next.

And I'm not talking necessarily about what is going on around me when I first watch a movie, either. Yeah, being with someone you love, hanging out with your close friends, or getting a blowjob in the back of a theater are all wonderful experiences when watching a movie for the first time, but that's a consequence of environment, not the cinematic experience itself.

What movies did you really enjoy watching for the first time? Do you consider them one of your favorites now?
  • PheylanPheylan May 2008
    No other movie that I can remember made me enjoy it or get into it as much as Transformers did. Still one of my favorite movies, I just remember sitting there watching Transformers and being in complete awe. It may not be the best movie ever made, or the most intellectually stimulating, but for raw enjoyment nothing beat it.

For the record, Iron Man was also really good. Plot could have used a little work, but everything else was perfect.
  • waterxm04waterxm04 May 2008
    QUOTE (Pheylan @ May 4 2008, 09:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    For the record, Iron Man was also really good. Plot could have used a little work, but everything else was perfect.

QFT

I really enjoyed Godfellas the first time I saw it on spike, someone told me to watch it and when it came on i was glued to the TV. Since then whenever it comes on i make time for it and if i see it in walmart i will buy it. Another movie I enjoyed was Fight Club, and The very first Die Hard was great. They're all top movies of mine now, I don't know if it was the first time experience that made them an all-time favorite. Or if it is the fact that ever time I watch them it's riveting.
  • MagicMagic May 2008
    Jurassic Park because when it came out I was at the age where dinosaurs were the shit -- seeing them on a big screen looking real (at that time they were great effects) was stellar.
  • easily Lord of the Rings
  • QUOTE (Governor @ May 4 2008, 07:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I'm not sure exactly which movie I enjoyed the most when I first watched it, but I can say for certain that the original Matrix is up there on the list. It is far from my top-movie list, but I clearly remember when I first watched it. It was extremely exhilarating to watch, and I felt like I was really at the edge of my seat the entire time. I think the fact that I knew almost nothing about the movie before seeing it really helped me get sucked into it, and I remember enjoying every second of it. If I watch one of the original trailers for the movie, I get a strong desire to see the movie again but not just by throwing it into my DVD player. It's the type of movie I would really enjoy experiencing again for the first time -- the sense of amazement and excitement and the never-knowing-what-was-coming-next.

Matrix is a great movie, but if I saw the trailer before I saw the movie I would of probably try to avoid the movie (the original trailer sucked and made the movie look corny). But as movies that I remember clearly how I felt when watching it the first time, I would have to say the original Spiderman would be on the top of my list. I was just amazed as soon as the openeing credits were up. The best part about it is, I get a repeat of the feeling everytime a new Spiderman movie comes out (even though the third movie was a bummer).
  • Fight club for me.

It is actually one of my favourite movies, but after having heard about it and not ever seeing it, when I finally did I was blown away. The acting performances, some of the messages the movie got across, just in general a fantastic first time experience.

Also I found the first Lord of the rings pretty incredible. I had read the books, but only when I was very young, was although I remembered some of it, it still felt like a very new experience wathcing those movies. They were all very epic, and book to movie translations dont often turn out that incredible very often.

Also gov, I had a similar experience whe watching the Godfather. Fantastic movie, but my first time viewing it was very forgettable.
  • coffeecoffee May 2008
    First time i saw Requiem for a Dream it was really emotionally stimulating. I can't remember another movie where i actually felt depressed at the end. (read: different from the depression felt after seeing any rob schneider movie)

Another one is Super Troopers because we got really really really really really high before going into the theatre, and it was awesome.

And also recently Rambo. The movie was tits; best action flick of the decade. once people started dying everything else around me was muted.
  • NonRootNonRoot May 2008
    I was completely blown away while watching Sin City. I remember seeing the previews for it and the way the scenes were done in black and white with very few elements of color. That was the one movie where I never once took my eyes off the screen. It still is one of my favorite movies and I do own the DVD but I hardly ever watch it.
  • Best first experience: Probably 300. My friends and I were high as shit, and we were in a theater with a lot of loud, shouting people. Audience reactions during beheading scenes: Priceless.

Favorite Movie, overall: Goes back and forth between Donnie Darko and The Royal Tenenbaums. They're both really cool movies to watch and think about, and they're both fun to watch repeatedly for the little details and plot points.

Also, Half Baked never gets old. Just sayin'.
  • NonRootNonRoot May 2008
    QUOTE (Aussie Witch @ May 6 2008, 12:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Favorite Movie, overall: Goes back and forth between Donnie Darko...

Ive never seen the appeal in this movie...I have to admit though, the guy in the bunny suit freaked the shit out of me when I saw it for the first time.
  • cutchinscutchins May 2008
    QUOTE (coffee @ May 5 2008, 12:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    First time i saw Requiem for a Dream it was really emotionally stimulating. I can't remember another movie where i actually felt depressed at the end. (read: different from the depression felt after seeing any rob schneider movie)

Another one is Super Troopers because we got really really really really really high before going into the theatre, and it was awesome.

And also recently Rambo. The movie was tits; best action flick of the decade. once people started dying everything else around me was muted.

Ditto about requiem.

QUOTE (Aussie Witch @ May 6 2008, 12:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Best first experience: Probably 300. My friends and I were high as shit, and we were in a theater with a lot of loud, shouting people. Audience reactions during beheading scenes: Priceless.

Favorite Movie, overall: Goes back and forth between Donnie Darko and The Royal Tenenbaums. They're both really cool movies to watch and think about, and they're both fun to watch repeatedly for the little details and plot points.

Also, Half Baked never gets old. Just sayin'.

I agree about 300. Awesome theater experience.
  • EvestayEvestay May 2008
    I really loved seeing Gladiator for the first time. However, I dont really remember where I was or when and that seems like an important thing in your topic description =\
  • My favorite movie experience varies, i can't really make a decision.

i would have to say that 300 is up th4ere as well as the matrix

three others are most memorable in my mind

Shaun of the dead- this movie had me laughing all the way through as i had no idea what to expect when going in, i actually thought it may be a horror movie

Independence Day- From what I remember it was incredibly awesome to watch in theaters (keep in mind i was pretty damn young lol)

Mortal Kombat- "Those were $500 Sunglasses asshole!" need I say more
  • fr4ggedfr4gged May 2008
    if I had to pick a top 3, in no particular order, they would be as follows.

The Usual Suspects - the first thing I may say is that Kevin Spacey is just flat out AWESOME. but the story behind this movie is fantastic, and the character of keyser soze is one of legends, just like Kevin Spacey says: Keaton always said, "I don't believe in God, but I'm afraid of him." Well, I believe in God -- and the only thing that scares me is Keyser Soze.

Fight Club - Obvious Reasons, but mostly it's just one of those books/movies that kind of make you think, and re-evaluate your life situation, and I love when a movie can do that.

The Matrix - Okay, this movie, (not the sequels), this movie alone caused me to question the very existence of mankind and a higher power. Just thinking that everything we know is an illusion created to hide the bigger picture, is a scary, scary thought. And it applies to so many different aspects of life. Yes, it's a really hyped up movie, but for DAMN good reason, as far as I'm concerned it's still one of the best movies ever made.

Runner Up: American Psycho
  • NunesNunes May 2008
    The Machinist stuck with me after the first time I saw it. And Watership Down is one of the best movies ever.
  • PsychoBudPsychoBud May 2008
    My best movie experience...not the best movie I've seen, but the most memorable experience, was seeing the original Star Wars as a kid at the drive in while resting on the roof of my dad's 1968 T-bird on a warm Chicago summer night.
  • PotatoPotato May 2008
    Wes Anderson's "Rushmore" has changed my life; the first time I saw it I just sat there, awestruck by it.

I remember "POTC: Curse of the Black Pearl" was really exhilarating in theatres: the sword fight between Depp and Rush with the moonlight patches changing their respective appearances was pretty fuckin' sick.

I think literature affects me more than film, but I love cinema and there are so many movies that were really good the first time; I remember "Cloverfield" was a lot of fun. "Star Wars Ep. III" in theatres was awesome: we bought cheap ass lightsabers before hand and like 15 more people had similar ones, a war ensued.

I dunno, I don't go to the theatres as much as I'd like to, I'm really looking forward to "Iron Man" and "Dark Knight". It's gonna be a good summer for movies.

Big upset: Dragonball movie put off till 2009. GHEY.

• PsychoBudPsychoBud May 2008
    You're going to love Iron Man, it's easily the BEST comic-book movie I've seen, and was even really good as a stand alone movie, even if you aren't familiar with the character from comic books.
  • cutchinscutchins May 2008
    QUOTE (PsychoBud @ May 7 2008, 05:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    You're going to love Iron Man, it's easily the BEST comic-book movie I've seen, and was even really good as a stand alone movie, even if you aren't familiar with the character from comic books.

Yeah it was good. I think it left me with a lot of anticipation for the next in the series. If the next one isn't that great then both will end up being disappointing, imo.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership