Archery
  • PsychoBudPsychoBud May 2008
    This is a damned expensive hobby.
    My youngest (10) wantred a bow for Xmas...something he could grow with, and eventually hunt with...so we shelled out $400 and set him up with a "youth bow" Diamond "Edge" compound bow that can be adjusted to 40lbs (lowest legal deer hunting draw) without changing anything, and 50lbs with a switch of arms and cams (about $150 cost to do so).

Anyhow, the kid's loving it, and is getting pretty damned good at it (hitting the plate sized targets consistently from 20 yards), and just continues to get better.

So anyhow, all of this leaves me sitting on Saturdays bored to tears sitting in the back of the range as he practices....I haven't held a bow in close to 20 years...so I decided to get into it again, to join in with him...I just went out and priced and compared bows....DAYUM, but they've gotten expensive, and the technological advances in the last 20 years are AMAZING...60lb bow with sights used to be a stripped piece of carbon steel with fiberglass arms and plastic or ceramic cams, with a 50% dropoff on pull weight...today's bows have elliptical cams made of composite plastics, arms made of the same materials, and a carbon fiber body...and they run about $750 for a decent one...but the fuckers also throw the arrows at close to 30% faster than bows of my youth (380FPS average on a 60lb "flat arm" elliptical cam bow...wow!)

Anyhow, I'm geeking out over this new gear available now....and gasping at the price.
  • I used to be a pretty good shot a few years back. I never used anything better than a recurved bow though. I'd love to get one eventually.

It's awesome to see what they have to offer now. Did you end up getting one? Still planning to?

fake edit: is it sad that when I saw 380FPS, my first thought wasn't feet per second...
    LOL...no, didn't buy it yet, need to make my next commission check first, but AM buying it (Diamond Black Ice, look her up at www.diamondarchery.com ).

Used to shoot a 32# recurve when I was a kid, switched up to compounds for hunting, got into rifles later, and stuck with them until my felony, then quit hunting for a while...will probably be taking the kid hunting next year, maybe the year after.

I just posted mostly because I was shocked silly at the advances made in bow technology.
  • FoowankoFoowanko May 2008
    I've always wanted to take up archery as well. However, using rifles would be a bit cooler in my opinion. What do you call it, riflery? image/tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Shooting practice? Either way it sounds like I'll become a serial killer.
  • coffeecoffee May 2008
    QUOTE (Foowanko @ May 7 2008, 05:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I've always wanted to take up archery as well. However, using rifles would be a bit cooler in my opinion. What do you call it, riflery? image/tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Shooting practice? Either way it sounds like I'll become JOHN RAMBO

• I did competitive archery for about four years... had a 30# recurve, not a bad shot in my prime. That's really cool that you're encouraging your kid to get into this, though. It is a pretty expensive hobby, but it's really rewarding and really helps you develop mental game. I still go back to mental exercises I did for archery when I'm having trouble with music stuff.

Where do you go to practice? If he's still interested in growing with archery, and competing on targets in addition to hunting, you may consider finding a JOAD (Junior Olympic Archery Development) program in your area.
    We've a 20 yard and 10 yard indooor range nearby and an outdoor 3-D range on the same property. His current coach (soon to be my cioach as well) is Kirk Nathan (dunno if you know the name...Nationals archery a number of times, never Olympic, though)
  • Awesome, enjoy yourselves image/smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership