Finally, My New Rig
  • GovernorGovernor June 2008
    After posting two or three topics over the course of six months, I finally bought my new computer. Check it out!

Excuse the choppy image. It wasn't my camera, so I didn't question the person who sent me the photo.
  • Looks good Court.
  • NunesNunes June 2008
    detailses please. How big is that apple monitor? Looks good.
  • jkarate212jkarate212 June 2008
    I have that same samsung monitor...or something very similar at least. Hard to tell

Looks like a nice clean setup. What are you running on it?
    I got the 24" imac:

24" (viewable) liquid crystal display
    3.06GHz dual core processor
    4GB ddr2 ram
    500GB hdd
    geforce 8800GS ddr3 512MB video card
  • NunesNunes June 2008
    mmmmm. sexay. Should run like a dream. What's the OS? Have you stuck with Windows or did you switch to a Mac setup in light of your experiences at work?
    It's OS X.

And yeah, it runs like a dream. With the power of the machine, the multitasking capabilities of the OS, and the amount of real estate, I can develop extremely efficiently, and gaming is blazing fast (or so I've seen from the one game of dota [circa 2003] I've played so far).
  • azn+mikeazn mike June 2008
    Nice court.

I see you still have that flat keyboard image/tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />
    I like the one that came with the iMac 100x more, but until I get my kvm switch, I keep the old one hooked up to my old windows box.
  • cutchinscutchins June 2008
    looks gay.
  • vegitotgkvegitotgk June 2008
    looks like a beauty to me! Just bought myself a new MacBook for college this fall and I LOVE it. Looking to purchase a copy of Vista so I can run both. and I got a iTouch and a free HP Printer with the laptop as well all smiles here image/smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
  • word. i just got a macbook for $600 from my friend. its used but its in good condition. it definately is a good experience. i mean, this laptop is nothing compared to an imac but thus far the multi-tasking capabilities are pretty awesome. i think im in love:).

sup dudes image/wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />
  • ScabdatesScabdates July 2008
    later than a whore's period
  • i wasnt paying attention to the date lol. i think it was actually the last thread/post in this section.

and we all know whores use birth control
  • FoowankoFoowanko July 2008
    Not a fan of Macs...whatsoever. The specs on it look nice, but I will never, ever, ever, ever own a Mac.
  • GovernorGovernor July 2008
    What was the last Mac you owned, Foo?
  • BlackLightBlackLight July 2008
    I really can't think of a good reason NOT to own a mac, especially one with intel processors (which is virtually all of them nowadays). if you have a problem with the OS X, get boot camp
  • FoowankoFoowanko August 2008
    I had a macintosh back in the early 90's which would crash shortly after being turned on. I told my parents to never buy a macintosh again and so that's the way my life rolled.
  • GovernorGovernor August 2008
    That is the best outlook to keep on life. Trying new things will only lead to convenience, efficiency, and perhaps happiness.
  • BlackLightBlackLight August 2008
    QUOTE (Foowanko @ Aug 1 2008, 11:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I had a macintosh back in the early 90's which would crash shortly after being turned on. I told my parents to never buy a macintosh again and so that's the way my life rolled.

lol, well if you're still in high school you were just about learning to piss in the early '90s.
    I was 5 when I first said that I hated Macs.
    Five is a good age. It is wonderful that you still live by an impression you got when you still believed in Santa Claus.
  • dandan August 2008
    QUOTE (Governor @ Aug 1 2008, 05:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Five is a good age. It is wonderful that you still live by an impression you got when you still believed in Santa Claus.

Uh, what are you talking about? Santa Claus is real, dude. You're just messing with him, right? Right?

OH MY GOD, ALL MY DREAMS HAVE BEEN SHATTERED!

-dan
    I don't see what's so special about a Mac. You get Boot Camp for it to run exclusive Windows software, so why not just get a pc to use those programs?

My sisters (3 of them) all got iMacs or Mactops or whatever, and within a year those things ran at a turtle's pace (all 3). Now they complain to me for not telling them to get a pc and for not fixing their supposedly superior hardware for them.
    I don't run bootcamp at all. Chances are, if something runs exclusively on windows, it isn't very good anyway.

The reason I don't want to go back to windows is that I've realized in my very short time of owning a mac that os x handles everything I do on the computer faster, more intuitively, and more efficiently than windows.

As for the "mactops" hanging up, I guarantee it is through misuse or mishandling that they are in the condition they are today. OS X, like most operating systems that are built upon a unix core, is known for its ability to run at optimum levels for a long period of time.

Just a little over a year ago, I would have laughed at the idea of owning a mac. I've used windows perhaps longer than you've been alive, and I swore by it. Fortunately, I watched a few webinars about PHP frameworks that shows what a developer could do with OS x, and I almost shit myself. Still, it wouldn't have been enough for me to invest in something like that for my home. It wasn't until I got my current job and started using os x for 8-10 hours a day when I really realized that I simply couldn't waste my time on windows anymore. So I put aside my extraordinarily large ego for long enough to purchase this imac, and it's still exciting to sit down to it.
  • ebolaebola August 2008
    QUOTE (Governor @ Aug 1 2008, 07:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Chances are, if something runs exclusively on windows, it isn't very good anyway.

The fuck you talking about. I love internet explorer.
  • dandan August 2008
    /thread

-dan
    If it's something that you need gets best done on a Mac, go ahead and use it. But I don't see where the absurdly huge obsession for Macs came from. It's just not an OS that I like and I feel (even with proper use) that it doesn't last long anyways, because now two of my friends (no joke) are having problems with some of the programs on their Macs, go figure, right? Then again, one of them bought a Macintosh for the sole purpose of the free iPod and doesn't really care what happens to the laptop.
  • TrueBelieverTrueBeliever September 2008
    QUOTE (Governor @ Aug 1 2008, 08:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    The reason I don't want to go back to windows is that I've realized in my very short time of owning a mac that os x handles everything I do on the computer faster, more intuitively, and more efficiently than windows.

Thats funny, every mac that I used runs slower than my pc, and I've used a lot of macs (being a graphic art major) and my school doesn't buy crap macs either.
  • fratersangfratersang September 2008
    I'm a graphic designer that hates macs... *raises hand*

I've used them for jobs...for classes..etc and still hate em. They just arent as "streamlined" to me when it comes to work flow...

Just one smaaaaaall example:

In photoshop windows....if i want to change a font i can just scroll through it with the scrollwheel on my mouse or the arrow key...same thing goes for any drop arrow menu...with mac photoshop i have to click on each one and wait for it before clicking on the next one..etc
  • Black+BalloonBlack Balloon September 2008
    The problem I've found is you have to end up running so many programs for compatibility that any extra system resources you had are essentially worthless. This isn't a baseless assumption; I've used and loathed many Macs.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership