Supreme Court backs Guantanamo detainees
  • scrubblescrubble June 2008
    WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court has ruled that foreign terrorism suspects held at Guantanamo Bay have rights under the U.S. Constitution to challenge their detention in civilian courts.

The justices, in a 5-4 ruling Thursday, handed the Bush administration its third setback at the high court since 2004 over its treatment of prisoners who are being held indefinitely and without charges at the U.S. naval base in Cuba.

It was not immediately clear whether this ruling, unlike the first two, would lead to prompt hearings for the detainees, some of whom have been held more than 6 years.

Roughly 270 men remain at the island prison, classified as enemy combatants and held on suspicion of terrorism or links to al-Qaida and the Taliban.

should have come sooner, but still great news.
  • NunesNunes June 2008
    I saw that today. There may yet be hope. I've long held Gitmo as a symbol of the collapse of our nations ideals in the wake of a national disaster. Maybe we ARE strong enough to bounce back after all image/smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
  • xemplarxemplar June 2008
    QUOTE (ANunes @ Jun 12 2008, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I saw that today. There may yet be hope. I've long held Gitmo as a symbol of the collapse of our nations ideals in the wake of a national disaster. Maybe we ARE strong enough to bounce back after all image/smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

That is one big maybe....
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership