Private servers
  • BlackLightBlackLight June 2008
    Does anyone play on these? I am sadly considering it because my summer has turned into a sweltering boredom fest that only Stephen King and old episodes of Tila Tequila can satiate. Also, I'm not a fan of paying subscriptions and free shit is, well, the shit.
  • GovernorGovernor June 2008
    Why don't you use your time more wisely? Learn photoshop or something. You could get so much accomplished with your free time if you decided not to waste your own time.

But hey, you only live once, right? Might as well do nothing worth mentioning in the meantime.
  • BrianBrian June 2008
    QUOTE (Governor @ Jun 15 2008, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Why don't you use your time more wisely? Learn photoshop or something. You could get so much accomplished with your free time if you decided not to waste your own time.

But hey, you only live once, right? Might as well do nothing worth mentioning in the meantime.

Says the FD webmaster.

"Waste" is a relevant term. I consider learning photoshop a "waste".
  • romerashromerash June 2008
    I'm sure learning photoshop will "get him out of boredom" :/
  • LethaLLethaL June 2008
    Gov make me giggle every time with this kind of post
    QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 16 2008, 12:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Says the FD webmaster.

"Waste" is a relevant term. I consider learning photoshop a "waste".

Photoshop was just an example. He is currently looking for design work, and if he really has this much time on his hands, it would behoove him to learn how to do that type of work himself (especially since design work isn't the type of thing where its once-and-your done). He could do any number of things that involve bettering himself, and all of them would be a better way to spend his time than simply throwing countless hours of his life away for no other reason than "I'm bored and need some way to spend my time." I promise you, the only reason you have so much time is that you haven't been creative enough to do something useful.
  • BrianBrian June 2008
    QUOTE (Governor @ Jun 16 2008, 09:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Photoshop was just an example. He is currently looking for design work, and if he really has this much time on his hands, it would behoove him to learn how to do that type of work himself (especially since design work isn't the type of thing where its once-and-your done). He could do any number of things that involve bettering himself, and all of them would be a better way to spend his time than simply throwing countless hours of his life away for no other reason than "I'm bored and need some way to spend my time." I promise you, the only reason you have so much time is that you haven't been creative enough to do something useful.

You're right. No one should take time for entertainment.

Creative and successful people don't take time to entertain themselves.

Also, no one who plays WoW is creative or successful.

Seriously Gov, not one of your better arguments. Everyone does the same thing, just in different ways. Saying someone is not "creative enough to do something useful" because they use WoW as an entertainment source is a joke and shows clear bias against the game as entertainment, period. Someone who plays sports for pure entertainment purposes is no different from someone who plays wow for pure entertainment purposes. The only difference is that playing video-games with your time is less socially acceptable.

I also find your arguements incredibly ironic coming from someone who used to play CS so much, and still runs the FD website. The only reason people come to this site is to waste time, and often to gain advice on how to waste their time better. FD was after all first and foremost a gaming community. You seem pretty eager to condemn gaming now, and are coming off as high and mighty.
    I am sadly considering it because my summer has turned into a sweltering boredom fest that only Stephen King and old episodes of Tila Tequila can satiate.

Sounds to me like he's sitting around all summer doing a whole lot of nothing. I'm assuming he's doing what a lot of 19 year old college students do during their first summer as well -- sitting around his parent's house wishing he was back at his dorm/fraternity hanging out with the people he lived, worked, and hung out with 24 hours a day for the past nine months. Instead, he's facing three months of boredom at his parent's house as he does little more than pass time until he can go back. It's obviously an assumption of the situation he's in, but at least it is grounded in what I personally witnessed time and time again over the past 10 years.

So, given that assumption and the quote above, I get the impression he's unemployed (or at least underemployed) and looking to kill many hours of every single day. I never once got the impression that he was eager to indulge himself in World of Warcraft, unless I'm reading things like "sadly considering" and "sweltering boredom" too negatively.

I never said creative or successful people do not play games. I never even hinted it. I do, as always, appreciate having my words construed against me, though. Thanks.

Yes, entertainment for the sake of wasting your time is, was, and always will be just that -- a waste of your time. There are plenty of ways to entertain yourself that involve bettering yourself, so why would you choose not to explore them so you could instead kill your "boring" summer doing something you are "sad" to start in the first place? I don't care what the game in question is, or even if it is a game at all. Doing shit just for the sake of running down the clock is a shame! You only live once, so you should make the most of it. Perhaps, if blacklight approached his summer as a three month hiatus from all of the suck that surrounds working for the next forty years of his life that he may never get again, then he would choose to use the time more wisely.

But really, who am I to judge? As you said, I threw away six years of my life managing this community and website, and all I have to show for it is six years of invaluable leadership experience and my dream job as a senior web developer at an extremely progressive firm that shares pretty much all of the same professional values that I do -- a job where I literally cannot wait to wake up for in the morning and often find it hard to pull away from at night. Oh how I wish I didn't waste those six years doing stupid shit like bettering myself.
    Well I'd rather this not be an argument about me wanting to try something out and rather an argument about the merits of private servers haha. I do have a job but am only working about 30 hours a week at the moment. I also write almost every day in an effort to increase the amount of articles I have to put on my site when it's finished. However, this does not take up every single hour of every single day; thus, when other friends and girlfriend are at work or on vacation, I want something to do for a couple of hours, especially if I'm not working that day. However, that photoshop idea is intriguing, I'm probably going to consider it once I find a copy. Thanks Gov for being a good dad image/tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />
    Well, I wish you the best of luck and hope the photoshop thing works out. I think you'll find it much easier (and timely) to manage your site from the ground up than rely on the goodwill of others.
  • redboneredbone June 2008
    I always find it somewhat weird and amusing when people advocate "bettering yourself." What exactly is that supposed to mean? It seems like a pretty deep proposition to me.

That being said, I don't believe there is such a thing as wasting your time.
  • GmnotutooGmnotutoo June 2008
    mah timez r not wastd wen highz?
  • BrianBrian June 2008
    Apparently those six years also turned you into an absolute cock.

If your looking for congratulations, you won't find them here.
    on the othe rhand, alcohol deifnitely tmade those awated haours wothwhile at som epojnt! yay!
    QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 16 2008, 11:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Apparently those six years also turned you into an absolute cock.

If your looking for congratulations, you won't find them here.

I have no idea where that came from, but OK. You mentioned the apparent irony of my being FD webmaster for six years while simultaneously saying how much of a shame it is that someone would waste their time doing stuff that doesn't help them better themselves at all. In defense, I explained how invaluable those six years of experience have proven to be for me. I'm sorry for defending myself against your personal attack -- how cock-ish of me.
  • NunesNunes June 2008
    Wee for two different approaches to life and leisure.

1. Leisure now because I have a perceivably rare opportunity to be leisurely at this stage of my life due to the lack of responsibilities forced on me by an establishment.

2. Hard work now because I see that it pays off and I will be SUPER leisurely later, which will be sweet and well deserved.

Fuck both of those.

3. Work just hard enough to keep your job, and use the time at work to make friends with damn near everybody who is more powerful than you. Wait for some of them to leave. Keep in touch with them. Switch companies to theirs, get a sweet promotion because we <3 nepotism here in the US of A. Rinse, Repeat. This leaves plenty of time for fucking about all throughout your life and sets you up pretty sweetly for retirement.

@ Court: I think recreation is important, and while you took the time to figure out pretty definitively what you loved to do, most people have no idea even well into their working lives. That makes it harder to find "bettering yourself" recreational. It's like firing a heat guided missile in the rain forest. You'll get something out of it, but you'll have no idea ahead of time if it's really valuable.

@ Brian: Don't be a douchebag. He's not just hating on WoW, he's suggesting an alternative for WoW, which is a legit interpretation of what Blacklight wanted in the first place. If you want to be outraged at somebody baselessly blaming video games for society's ills and then staring down at you from their high horse, that thread is this way.

Back on topic:
    I play on Dark Iron (Alliance) and Burning Legion (Horde) for probably a grand total of 8 hours a week. And that's part of the 16 hours/week I set aside for general fucking about.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership