• GovernorGovernor July 2008
    We haven't spoken about it here, so I figure I'll throw it out there.

Obama's vote in favor of the FISA act is absolutely reprehensible. I understand the "head left for the primary, head center for the general" tactic that Republicans have been so successful with (obviously they head right for the primary, though), but Obama claimed not to be a typical politician. He claimed he was running on a principle of change, and he claimed he wouldn't play politics when it came to really important issues. He also asked that he be judged on his actions and not on his intentions.

So here I am, judging him. He should be ashamed. I am ashamed for supporting him. He has disregarded his oath to uphold the constitution, and he has insulted the millions of progressive Americans that carried him to victory over one of the most established and remarkable politicians of our lifetime. As he showed his true cowardice, she stood up against this bill. I'm so impressed with her, I may throw the few dollars I was holding for Obama's general election run her way to make up some of the costs she incurred trying to beat down that fucking lowlife piece of shit-eating scumbag.

As someone who previously claimed to be an Obama enthusiast and a life-long democrat, I feel betrayed on a level I have never felt before.

I no longer support Barack. Come November, he will probably get my vote, but I will be casting my ballot with a heavy heart and hope not for any significant change, but at least for a change of scenery (and barely a change at that).

Senator Obama, you have unequivocally shown that you are not willing to step up for what is right even when the price for not stepping up is so incredibly high. You can shove your "flag pins don't show my patriotism" rhetoric up your fucking ass. On July 9, 2008, you, Mr. Senator, showed just how unpatriotic you are.
  • NonRootNonRoot July 2008
    QUOTE (Governor @ Jul 11 2008, 09:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I may throw the few dollars I was holding for Obama's general election run her way to make up some of the costs she incurred trying to beat down that fucking lowlife piece of shit-eating scumbag.

Look into donating to this: http://www.accountabilitynowpac.com/

Trevor Lyman, who helped organize for Ron Pauls presidential campaign as well as Glenn Greenwald are behind it.
  • EvestayEvestay July 2008
    I didn't realize this issue was so important to you Court. I'm sorry Obama disappointed you, but I don't think its fair to come down on him so hard. Is there any way you would be okay with the FISA bill? Like if it allowed the telecoms to be exposed but not prosecuted, like if it gave more constitutional protections for citizens, or is it hopelessly against the Constitution?
  • GovernorGovernor July 2008
    Of course! The FISA bill could remove retroactive immunity in its entirety and allow citizens of this free country to seek justice for the crimes that have been committed (as guaranteed by the Constitution -- the only thing on this earth that is ensuring our freedom), and clearly state that a warrant must be obtained to seize any private records of any kind relating to any citizen of the United States in the name of national security.

That sounds easy, reasonable, and downright constitutional.
  • NunesNunes July 2008
    QUOTE (Governor @ Jul 11 2008, 01:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Of course! The FISA bill could remove retroactive immunity in its entirety and allow citizens of this free country to seek justice for the crimes that have been committed (as guaranteed by the Constitution -- the only thing on this earth that is ensuring our freedom), and clearly state that a warrant must be obtained to seize any private records of any kind relating to any citizen of the United States in the name of national security.

That sounds easy, reasonable, and downright constitutional.

A FISA bill like that wouldn't have made it 10 ft through the floor. A bill like it was proposed and got something like 60% of the vote, much less than the 2/3rds majority required to overturn a veto.

That aside, I think your reaction is a bit kneejerk, though completely understandable. I love our constitution and it hurts to see it torn apart like this. I'm not pleased at all and am also GREATLY disappointed in Obama. I too thought he was going to be better than this.

Provisions:
    * Prohibits the individual states from investigating, sanctioning of, or requiring disclosure by complicit telecoms or other persons.
    * Permits the government not to keep records of searches, and destroy existing records (it requires them to only keep the records for a period of 10 years).
    * Protects telecommunications companies from lawsuits for "'past or future cooperation' with federal law enforcement authorities and will assist the intelligence community in determining the plans of terrorists."
    * Removes requirements for detailed descriptions of the nature of information or property targeted by the surveillance.
    * Increased the time allowed for warrantless surveillance to continue from 48 hours to 7 days.
    * Requires FISA court permission to wiretap Americans who are overseas.
    * Prohibits targeting a foreigner to eavesdrop on an American's calls or e-mails without court approval.
    * Allows the FISA court 30 days to review existing but expiring surveillance orders before renewing them.
    * Allows eavesdropping in emergencies without court approval, provided the government files required papers within a week.
    * Prohibits the government from invoking war powers or other authorities to supersede surveillance rules in the future.

yeah, pissed. But this guys trying to get elected, and I still say he's the most promising politician we've had this close to the seat in my lifetime.

Also it's important to add that under this "compromise" when a company gets sued, they will pull out a paper from the US that says 'Break the law' and we can see what actually happened and prevent this from happening again.
  • QUOTE (Scabdates @ Jul 13 2008, 03:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unlike most Obama material that I've seen on the internet, this article seems to be written by someone who supports the man and not the ideas and folklore that have been built around him. It seems that a good portion of Obama's supporters needed a kick in the head (not an actual kick, but a figurative one...). People seem to be remembering that pretty rhetoric is ornamental and that it is the policies and ideas of the man that are what really counts.

With that said, the author forgets to remind people why there was support for Obama to begin with. Why not bring up his health care plan or his economic solutions? Many people chose him as their candidate because of those issues. He could have linked the "fact check" section of Obama's website to help Obama fight off the vicious media.

I'm not an Obama supporter, and I am disappointed in his FISA vote (along with 361 other votes). I don't think compromising one's values is something that should be practiced. Come November, I'm still not sure what I'm going to do, but I think people questioning their political candidate choices is something that should be done. It seems that people pick a candidate and then treat them like their favorite sports team. They boo the referee or umpire when any call falls against them (unjust or not), and on the flip side, they cheer when their opponents get a call against them (valid or not). To be honest, I'm disillusioned with the system and the general American public.
  • NunesNunes July 2008
    I think this shows us that the system can still work. We ARE angry. They aren't listening of course, but we're yelling again. 20-30 years of Americans complacently trusting our government is ending. I was more disillusioned BEFORE this election. For all the inane minutia we can see on the news the American people are still interested in policies. No matter how hard the MSM tries to dissuade them from thinking about them.
  • NonRootNonRoot July 2008

Theyre not even trying to hide it any more
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership