The Pig Has Died
  • scrubblescrubble October 2007
    Huge pirate music site shut down
    Man arrested in Middlesbrough raid
    Police also raided the home of the IT worker's father
    British and Dutch police have shut down a "widely-used" source of illegally-downloaded music.

A flat on Teesside and several properties in Amsterdam were raided as part of an Interpol investigation into the members-only website OiNK.

The UK-run site has leaked 60 major pre-release albums this year alone, said the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI).

A 24-year-old man from Middlesbrough was arrested on Tuesday morning.

'Extremely lucrative'

The IT worker was led from his home in the town's Grange Road and is being questioned on suspicion of conspiracy to defraud and infringement of copyright law.

Within a few hours of a popular pre-release track being posted on the OiNK site, hundreds of copies can be found
    IFPI spokesman

At the same time his employer - a large multi-national company - and his father's home were also raided.

A Cleveland Police spokesman said: "This extremely lucrative and creative scheme consisted of a private file-sharing website being set up. Membership was by invitation only.

"The site allowed the uploading and downloading of pre-release music and media to thousands of members.

"Members paid 'donations' via debit or credit cards, ensuring their continued access to the site."

Users were only invited to join the site if they could prove that they had music to offer, according to an IFPI spokesman.

Unfinished versions

He said: "They were encouraged to distribute recordings in the torrent file format with other OiNK members, and have to keep posting such music to the site to maintain their membership.

"Once an album had been posted on the OiNK website, the users that download that music then passed the content to other websites, forums and blogs, where multiple copies were made.

"Within a few hours of a popular pre-release track being posted on the OiNK site, hundreds of copies can be found further down the illegal online supply chain."

The site's servers, based in Amsterdam, were seized in a series of raids last week.

It follows a two-year investigation by music industry bodies the IFPI and the British Phonographic Industry (BPI).

Pre-release piracy is particularly damaging to sales as it leads to early mixes and unfinished versions of artists' recordings circulating on the internet months ahead of the release.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/tees/7057812.stm
  • carto0ncarto0n October 2007
    amsterdam roolz
  • 0%3Duid%28root%290=uid(root) October 2007
    fuck! i literally just downloaded something from there last night at like 2am.

anyways, i don't feel bad anymore about my ratio.

but i feel even worse knowing i can't get shit now.
  • cutchinscutchins October 2007
    by far my favorite torrent site. i hope nobody gets in too much trouble over it.

and i hope a viable alternative quickly surfaces.
  • scrubblescrubble October 2007
    i doubt the RIAA goes after individual users. i just think there are too many for them, 180,000 members is a lot of people to sue.
  • JeddHamptonJeddHampton October 2007
    QUOTE (scrubble @ Oct 23 2007, 08:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    i doubt the RIAA goes after individual users. i just think there are too many for them, 180,000 members is a lot of people to sue.

I don't think they are above that.
  • AnotherevilAnotherevil October 2007
    QUOTE (Jedd @ Oct 23 2007, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I don't think they are above that.

lolz.
  • ScabdatesScabdates October 2007
    No members of OiNK are going to get in trouble.

The admin will probably pay a fine and be put on probation and they'll probably monitor his internet access.

If anybody needs alternative sites, shoot me a PM.
    yea something as good as oink.

i'm going to make a site and call it "woof" and have a picture of a dog
  • carto0ncarto0n October 2007
    mmm bacon
    QUOTE (cartoon. @ Oct 24 2007, 05:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    mmm bacon

manbearpig!
  • waterxm04waterxm04 October 2007
    QUOTE (0=uid(root) @ Oct 24 2007, 05:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    manbearpig!

Wins thread/ Ties with scabdates, good insite
  • BlueBoxBobBlueBoxBob October 2007
    QUOTE (0=uid(root) @ Oct 24 2007, 05:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    manbearpig!

Watch out kids, he gets out of the cavern and take you into it !!!!! HEAR IT !!!!
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership