• NunesNunes September 2008
    This is pretty ridiculous.

That's Giuliani's speech. Complete with POW, experience, pandering to the Hillary base, Drilldrilldrilldrill, tax cuts, terrorism, and GASP... 9/fucking/11.

"Of great concern to me, during those same four days in Denver, they rarely mentioned the attacks of September 11, 2001. They are in a state of denial about the biggest threat that faces this country. And if you deny it and you don’t deal with it, you can’t face it.

John McCain can face the enemy. He can win, and he can bring victory for this country."

I'm literally disgusted.
  • GovernorGovernor September 2008
    I dunno, I think his point is entirely reasonable; I just think the conclusion he draws is unfounded and a bit irresponsible.

9/11 was a big deal, and it really brought threats posed by foreign terrorists into the public mindset. You cannot dream to address the challenges that poses if you push 9/11 out of your mind. Now, I don't agree that the democrats have done that as evidence only by the fact that they didn't mention it 15 times in each speech, but at least a little bit of substance can be drawn from that speech.

However, you also cannot dream to address the challenges that poses by misrepresenting or misunderstanding the situation like Giuliani always does.

In general, I wouldn't take anything Guiliani says to heart. The fact is, he got demolished in his presidential bid, so it is pretty safe to say most people don't buy entirely into his bullshit.
  • JeddHamptonJeddHampton September 2008
    The Rally for the Republic was where it was at.
    QUOTE (Jedd @ Sep 4 2008, 10:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Amen, sista.
    QUOTE (Jedd @ Sep 4 2008, 10:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The REAL republican convention.

(small r required)

I just thought it was yet another attempt by Rudy Giul911ni to tug at the heart strings of Amurka. Maybe he's got a point he's trying to make, but in context it felt like he just couldn't resist reminding us that he was the mayor at the time when we were attacked. And he didn't use it as a way to build up his side, he tried to use it as a vehicle for attacking his opponent. It left a pretty sour taste in my mouth, but it's totally possible that it's just my distaste for the man clouding my interpretation.
    QUOTE (ANunes @ Sep 4 2008, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    The REAL republican convention.

(small r required)

I just thought it was yet another attempt by Rudy Giul911ni to tug at the heart strings of Amurka. Maybe he's got a point he's trying to make, but in context it felt like he just couldn't resist reminding us that he was the mayor at the time when we were attacked. And he didn't use it as a way to build up his side, he tried to use it as a vehicle for attacking his opponent. It left a pretty sour taste in my mouth, but it's totally possible that it's just my distaste for the man clouding my interpretation.

Well, that's kind of understandable. He's pretty much the worst politician of our time.
    QUOTE (Governor @ Sep 4 2008, 02:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Well, that's kind of understandable. He's pretty much the worst politician of our time.

That is really, really insulting considering how bad some politicians are today, but it holds so much truth...
  • JonobonoJonobono September 2008
    Currently watching Mccain speak. I was watching it on public access because I don't want to hear any of the mainsteam commentary. The channel i was watching it kept panning to some guy who was holding up giant signs bashing Mccain's history in voting against vets, or something along those lines. Don't know how he made it past security, and he must have gigantic balls to crash the RNC.

In other news, Obama gained $10 million in in the wake of Palin's speech. It's only significant because Mccain gained only $1 mil following the speech. I didn't see that coming.
  • mungomungo September 2008
    Anyone ever realize that these rioters are always hideously ugly people? Butch lesbians and emotional gothic queers who have nothing better to do with their time than attempt to achieve 8 seconds of fame and a lifetime of mockery.
  • PheylanPheylan September 2008
    Pretty sure they had the lifetime of mockery way before they got their 8 seconds of fame.
  • BillBill September 2008
    QUOTE (mungo @ Sep 4 2008, 10:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Anyone ever realize that these rioters are always hideously ugly people? Butch lesbians and emotional gothic queers who have nothing better to do with their time than attempt to achieve 8 seconds of fame and a lifetime of mockery.

You're right, clearly all people who have it in them to go against the current in american politics, instead of hiding behind their monitors, are bull dykes and queers... You once again pull to the front of the crowd.

QUOTE (mungo @ Sep 4 2008, 10:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Anyone ever realize that these rioters are always hideously ugly people far more motivated to enact change than me? Butch lesbians Independent and emotional gothic queers free thinkers who have nothing better to do with their time than attempt to achieve 8 seconds of fame and a lifetime of mockery. send an important and honest message to the biggest gathering of their target audience in four years.

Yeah they are pretty awesome.

I can tell you're a republican because of the extreme homophobia.

I bet you're one of the people who cheered when you saw that 9/11 "tribute" snuff film they passed off as a convention introduction.

I found your portrait, you brave, internet warrior.

/strawman arguments aren't so fun when you're the target, are they?
    I love politics. Such a great way to bring people together.

I'll try and interject a rational thought here. Perhaps what mungo was trying to say, is that Democrats might have a better chance of swaying voters at the RNC if the people that happened to represent them didn't all look like people that the Conservative right doesn't already hate on an ideological and religious basis. It's easier to debate someone in a civil way if you present yourself in a way that doesn't cause outright disgust in your audience before you even get a chance to open your mouth.
    QUOTE (Pheylan @ Sep 5 2008, 03:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I love politics. Such a great way to bring people together.

I'll try and interject a rational thought here. Perhaps what mungo was trying to say, is that Democrats might have a better chance of swaying voters at the RNC if the people that happened to represent them didn't all look like people that the Conservative right doesn't already hate on an ideological and religious basis. It's easier to debate someone in a civil way if you present yourself in a way that doesn't cause outright disgust in your audience before you even get a chance to open your mouth.

You know... You're right.

Also, there is no way to present the argument the democrats want to present to the religious right that doesn't cause outright disgust. If it contradicts their beliefs it might as well be as personal an attack as calling them fags.

Furthermore, what's offensive or disgusting about a guy holding a sign quietly in protest in the upper fucking balcony of the convention? Come on.

Meanwhile, if you don't support the surge, or you think that 3/16 goals achieved does not constitute success, then you're a cut and runner who wants the terrorists to win. In the words of the actual republicans speaking at the convention, on tv, with a prepared speech.

Hurr Ima Durr.
    QUOTE (ANunes @ Sep 5 2008, 03:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Also, there is no way to present the argument the democrats want to present to the religious right that doesn't cause outright disgust. If it contradicts their beliefs it might as well be as personal an attack as calling them fags.

Now that's unfair, because that can be said for both sides of the isle when it comes to debating or changing opinions. PETA activists can be just as stubborn and destructive as anti-abortionists.

You're also jumping to the conclusion that everyone in the Republican Party is part of the religious right. I don't don't consider myself to part of the religious right, however, I do tend to agree on average with the republican party more. Trying to say everyone in the Republican party is part of the religious right is the same as saying everyone on the Democratic side is a gay vegan named Lance, aborting every other pregnancy he sees because he is high and unemployed. There are extremes on both sides. I do agree with some aspects of the democratic party platform. My biggest complaint is that both sides tend to take the extreme on so many issues instead of choosing a middle ground between the two parties that I support.
    You're myopic.

Let me spell it out for you:
    Mungo called all protestors at the RNC bull dyke queers. You jump right on the liberal bashing bandwagon.

I called him on his gross generalization by saying that they are perceived as such not because of who they are, but who their audience is. You proceed to say:
    Democrats might have a better chance of swaying voters at the RNC if the people that happened to represent them didn't all look like people that the Conservative right doesn't already hate on an ideological and religious basis.

Well, they're democrats. Conservatives hate them on an ideological and religious basis and therefore can't every be swayed, by your own logic.

Then I suggest that yes, you're correct, if you act like an ignorant fuck before presenting your argument, then you should be rightfully ignored (see the 9/11 snuff film that preceded the last night of the convention)

Then I follow up by asking what about his method of presentation would turn off a rational person from discourse? I posit it's because the republican party was hijacked by the religious right.

Instead of addressing my points, you attack my supposition.

Try again.

Also: what about the INSANITY that was every speech at the RNC. They pretended the Dems are to blame for 8 years of a bush presidency. They acted like the surge was working, when by all legitimate metrics, it is failing miserably and our young men are dying. They insist that Obama wants to tax YOU, when really he wants to lower taxes more for you than McCain will unless you're making over 111,000 dollars a year, and you STILL get a tax break until you break the $250,000 per annum mark. It was a series of red-herrings and strawmen.

No, it was the guy who had the balls to go into the hornets nest and say something who's being ignored for good reason. Yeah, that's it.

edit 4: cause I keep seeing things you wrote and getting pissed. Anti-abortion = GOP platform PETA != Dem Platform. Nice try though. There is no democratic platform that can be tied to some insane, immobile ideology. That's why they "flip flop". Because they listen and can change their fucking minds.
  • EvestayEvestay September 2008
    This discussion is too hard for me to follow. Hopefully its not important and you guys will move on =)
    For the record, religion and race are not factors in loyalty to the republican party.

• MagicMagic September 2008
    QUOTE (Evestay @ Sep 5 2008, 04:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    This discussion is too hard for me to follow. Hopefully its not important and you guys will move on =)

Me too.

All I see is post after post by ANunes whining about the RNC.

'Stop making vast generalizations'
    'The speeches sucked'
    'The candidates are full of flaws'
    'Their plans are horrible'

Blah blah blah.

Fucking christ grow a pair already. This resembles more of a bitch-fest instead of a discussion. If you don't like what a candidate has to offer then don't vote for them. Simple as that. No need to whine like a little kid who isn't getting what they want.

Also, Mungo is right. I live about 30 minutes from the Xcel Center in St Paul where the RNC was held and dealt with the protestors in Minneapolis because that's where I work. They all looked like they were born at the top of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down. What the hell good does protesting do anyway? If I see a group of people holding up signs, blocking traffic, and shouting crap -- my instant reaction is that they're a bunch of douchebags. Do they think their point is going to be made by coming off as a bunch of douchebags? It's totally pointless. Get a job and/or do something productive.

Now go whine about me making more vast generalizations, being hypocritical, or blame me for some of your shortcomings in life or something.
  • cutchinscutchins September 2008
    hahahahahaa

magic you're an idiot

edit:

nice sig though
  • ScabdatesScabdates September 2008
    I agree that they're all hideously ugly (beautiful people have better things to do, like hang out at the beautiful peoples' club) but to call them douchebags for exercising one of their most important rights as Americans? That's pretty silly.

Also, for someone who does it as often as you, it's surprising you can't spell Masturbation.
  • JonobonoJonobono September 2008
    QUOTE (Scabdates @ Sep 6 2008, 07:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Also, for someone who does it as often as you, it's surprising you can't spell Masturbation.

WOW, aren't you like 10 years old than Richie too? Thats a pretty good catch. I would also like to note, that yes, i find it hilarious that most Republican's bash the protesters, when infact they use the same freedom of speech excuse everytime a well informed Democrat backs them into a corner. It's really cute.
    QUOTE (Magic @ Sep 6 2008, 12:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Also, Mungo is right. I live about 30 minutes from the Xcel Center in St Paul where the RNC was held and dealt with the protestors in Minneapolis because that's where I work. They all looked like they were born at the top of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down. What the hell good does protesting do anyway? If I see a group of people holding up signs, blocking traffic, and shouting crap -- my instant reaction is that they're a bunch of douchebags. Do they think their point is going to be made by coming off as a bunch of douchebags? It's totally pointless. Get a job and/or do something productive.

It's not pointless if they reach 1 voter. That's all. 1. Get a clue and/or shut your pie hole.
  • GmnotutooGmnotutoo September 2008
    Mr. T for president.
    QUOTE (Gmnotutoo @ Sep 7 2008, 11:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Mr. T for president.

You're only voting for him based on liberal white guilt. wuit fooling yourself.
    QUOTE (ANunes @ Sep 8 2008, 09:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    You're only voting for him based on liberal white guilt. wuit fooling yourself.

It took me way too long to realise that you meant that to be a 'q' and not a 'w'.

I feel like using a bit of the Queen's English today.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership