• KPKP October 2008
    Fair Enough
  • MagicMagic October 2008
    a ) There's a whole political discussion forum

b ) Palin's interview with Couric was already posted in the political discussion forum
  • NunesNunes October 2008
    But since it's here.

It is NOT the responsibility of the media to portray every political position as tenable regardless of party.
    It IS the responsibility of the media to examine the political position of everybody regardless of party.

It is NOT the fault of the media that Sarah Palin can't open her mouth without making an idiot of herself.
    It IS the fault of the media that we don't see Joe Biden open his mouth and say things that actually make sense.

They aren't in the tank for ANYBODY because they are invested in the manufacturing of political theater. If you believe in the Liberal media then you are committing a Middle Ground fallacy.

/Maybe if McCain's camp hadn't spent the last 2 months bitching about how "In the tank for Obama" the media was, sequestering their noob VP pick away to only conduct 2 interviews with well known partisan commentators they would be less antagonistic to her?
    //Just a thought.
  • KPKP October 2008
    rewitten to the other forum.
  • JeddHamptonJeddHampton October 2008
    QUOTE (ANunes @ Oct 2 2008, 02:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    But since it's here.

It is NOT the responsibility of the media to portray every political position as tenable regardless of party.
    It IS the responsibility of the media to examine the political position of everybody regardless of party.

It is NOT the fault of the media that Sarah Palin can't open her mouth without making an idiot of herself.
    It IS the fault of the media that we don't see Joe Biden open his mouth and say things that actually make sense.

They aren't in the tank for ANYBODY because they are invested in the manufacturing of political theater. If you believe in the Liberal media then you are committing a Middle Ground fallacy.

/Maybe if McCain's camp hadn't spent the last 2 months bitching about how "In the tank for Obama" the media was, sequestering their noob VP pick away to only conduct 2 interviews with well known partisan commentators they would be less antagonistic to her?
    //Just a thought.

Agreed almost 100% on all accounts except for one. The media may not be the "liberal" media that right wing pundits may believe in, but it does lean left. This is perfectly acceptable though. For starters, the actual reporting is very fair and level. Most of the time it isn't much more than a list of facts put into context. The selection of stories usually favors the left a bit more than the right, but it still remains fair. Why I find the media's lean acceptable is mostly because (drum roll please) the average American leans left.
  • GovernorGovernor October 2008
    I don't see it in the other forum...
    QUOTE (Governor @ Oct 2 2008, 03:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Me either. But anyway. The media has to spend so much time not appearing to be partisan that politicians can just lie to their faces. That's a bigger problem than media bias IMO.

in the 90's I remember reporters being proud of being attack dogs. Barbara Walters was world renowned for being able to come off as nice and jovial while calling out the interviewee on every stupid thing they said.

now politicians just need to say, "let me finish. you have to let me finish." and the "reporter" just lets them say whatever bullshit nonsense question dodging they choose.

Couric: You've cited Alaska's proximity to Russia as part of your foreign policy experience. What did you mean by that?

Sarah Palin: That Alaska has a very narrow maritime border between a foreign country, Russia, and, on our other side, the land-boundary that we have with Canada. It's funny that a comment like that was kinda made to … I don't know, you know … reporters.

That's not a gotcha question. That's not media bias. That's just Palin being terrible at straying from talking points and Couric failing to stay on her for it for fear of being called biased or "in the tank for Obama".

• JeddHamptonJeddHampton October 2008
    I'd love to see another Edward Murrow or Bernstein/Woodward.

Those guys are legends. They did what their conscience demanded. Murrow in particular. He had so many facts to back up what he was saying that he basically shut up all counter-arguments. He was awesome.
  • MagicMagic October 2008
    QUOTE (Governor @ Oct 2 2008, 02:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought someone posted it there, went to go search for it but there's multiple Palin smear threads (big shock there) and I didn't want to waste time looking through that garbage.

Still, it belongs in the political discussion. I avoid that area like the plague now because it's one anti-conservative thread after another -- must have reached the smear limit in that section of the forums in order to have stuff spilling into the general discussion section.
  • WedgeWedge October 2008
    QUOTE (Magic @ Oct 2 2008, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I thought someone posted it there, went to go search for it but there's multiple Palin smear threads (big shock there) and I didn't want to waste time looking through that garbage.

Still, it belongs in the political discussion. I avoid that area like the plague now because it's one anti-conservative thread after another -- must have reached the smear limit in that section of the forums in order to have stuff spilling into the general discussion section.

qft

/don't you get a better reaction when trying to convince someone on why your option or opinion is better? not by putting down everything about the other side?
    //...
    QUOTE (Magic @ Oct 2 2008, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dude, sound more butthurt over it. I don't think I feel bad enough to stop yet. image/blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

And to wedge:
    Do you remember the primaries? Do you remember seeing all the people who supported Obama then reffered to as Obamatons, or Kool-aid drinkers. I think I remember only the right wing calling Barack Obama "the Messiah" and "the One" in my stead. I can't say anything nice about the man without being stonewalled by that retarded argument. Meanwhile, I haven't heard anybody say anything nice about anybody else except Ron Paul.

Care to give it a try?
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership