VP Debate
  • mungomungo October 2008
    Let's keep this spam free until the debate starts. Let's use this as a semi-live blog for all of our thoughts which will lead to an intelligent discussion of tonight's events.
    Hope you guys have the debate turned on, it starts in 2 minutes.
    How can anyone who wishes to make money in America (which IS patriotic -- "American Dream" anyone?) be fiscally liberal? Honestly, what is your mindset? Is it long-term goals? Or is it your desire to reduce the economic gap? But truthfully, isn't the ideal of making a tremendous amount of money the reason why people strive for excellence?
  • ScabdatesScabdates October 2008
    QUOTE (mungo @ Oct 2 2008, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    How can anyone who wishes to make money in America (which IS patriotic -- "American Dream" anyone?) be fiscally liberal? Honestly, what is your mindset? Is it long-term goals? Or is it your desire to reduce the economic gap? But truthfully, isn't the ideal of making a tremendous amount of money the reason why people strive for excellence?

JOHN MCCAIN VOTED FOR IT TOO.

LET ME SAY THAT AGAIN, JOHN MCCAIN VOTED FOR IT TOO.
    QUOTE (Scabdates @ Oct 2 2008, 09:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    JOHN MCCAIN VOTED FOR IT TOO.

LET ME SAY THAT AGAIN, JOHN MCCAIN VOTED FOR IT TOO.

Easy there, chief. Explain Obama's tax plan. Taxing small business and the wealthy an exhorbitant amount. That's what I'm talking about.
    QUOTE (mungo @ Oct 2 2008, 09:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Easy there, chief. Explain Obama's tax plan. Taxing small business and the wealthy an exhorbitant amount. That's what I'm talking about.

Look, the people in my neighborhood get it. They get it. They know that they've been getting the short end of the stick.

The middle class has gotten the short end, corporate America has been well off.

Barack Obama will change that.
    Way to attempt to say something and say nothing. Also, cite your source in case someone isn't watching.
    QUOTE (mungo @ Oct 2 2008, 10:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Way to attempt to say something and say nothing. Also, cite your source in case someone isn't watching.

-Paraphrased from Joe Biden at the 10/02/08 Vice Presidential Debates in Ohio.
  • JeddHamptonJeddHampton October 2008
    To be honest, we need a balanced budget. We need to increase taxes. The country is living off of credit. If this keeps going on, we'll have a real depression on our hands. We are spending well beyond what we are taxing. It is like all those college kids living off their credit cards; only paying the minimum.

The truth is the rich have more money than they can spend. I personally agree with a good amount of business tax cuts, but, also, in light of the current situation, I believe we need a company/agency that investigates businesses with some regularity. My father is an internal auditor and the stories I hear from the one company I (and he) work for. There are a ton of problems that go on with in each company that people could make a good living by auditing them.

• EvestayEvestay October 2008
    Both did very well. I was extremely annoyed with Palin's use of the word 'also' though. And Biden nailed a ton of questions head-on, but the issue I care about is Iraq and I hate that he could not call it the central front of the war on terror. YES it was the central front on terror 2004-2007 and Al Qaeda messages prove it, but now we have effectively wiped out AQ in Iraq and so AQ is focusing more elsewhere (yes Afghanistan/Pakistan).
    Wait... Al Qaeda was in Iraq?
  • JAmmYJAmmY October 2008
    QUOTE (Evestay @ Oct 2 2008, 10:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Both did very well. I was extremely annoyed with Palin's use of the word 'also' though. And Biden nailed a ton of questions head-on, but the issue I care about is Iraq and I hate that he could not call it the central front of the war on terror. YES it was the central front on terror 2004-2007 and Al Qaeda messages prove it, but now we have effectively wiped out AQ in Iraq and so AQ is focusing more elsewhere (yes Afghanistan/Pakistan).

Are you saying Iraq is the central front on the "war on terror"? If so I completely disagree, first, there is no "central" front in my mind, and if I HAD to choose somewhere I would say Afghanistan, because of the ousted Taliban goverment there. They are also making a new push to reclaim Afghanistan, which in my mind STILL makes it the "central" front on terror.
  • EvestayEvestay October 2008
    er sorry to derail the thread. Yes Al Qaeda is in Iraq, it is called AQI (al qaeda in iraq). It was huge 2004-2007 and caused the most spectacular attacks. If the most spectacular attacks AQ committed from 2004-2007 were in Iraq, then that means AQ was putting most of its resources into the war in Iraq. Intercepted AQ letters from 2005 (I posted one on another thread somewhere) prove that AQ leaders believed Iraq to be the central front in the war on terror. Now, AQI has been wiped the fuck out and the local Iraqis hate it, so AQ has put most of its resources into Afghanistan/Pakistan now = that is the new central front. And yes there are fronts all over the world, but I'm trying to judge the biggest one.

And so what if our going to Iraq made it the central front for AQ? We destroyed Iraq's government and put the area up on a silver platter for AQ to take control of if we had left it.
  • NunesNunes October 2008
    QUOTE (Evestay @ Oct 3 2008, 12:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Yes Al Qaeda is in Iraq, it is called AQI (al qaeda in iraq). It was huge 2004-2007 and caused the most spectacular attacks.

AQ and AQI are not affiliated.

And they only started attacking shit after we got there.
    Now here's your transcript.

Read that and tell me it was a "tie"...

My off the cuff rubric
    Presentation:
    Energy of expression - 40 - 60 advantage Palin
    Eye Contact - 30 - 70 advantage Palin
    Effective use of notes - 70 - 30 Biden
    Content:
    Accuracy - 70 - 30 advantage Biden - Article actually has to say that something Biden said was true, but obvious - just to eek out a 4 lies to 8 lies article...
    Focus (Staying on topic) - 60-40 Biden
    Message - 100-0 Biden image/wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

/would actually make it more like 80 - 20 if I weren't being facetious, but I recognize my affinity for the Democratic party affects my opinion of the message. The rest is me trying to remain as objective as possible.
    //The point is, take out the stuff that you'd see watching the thing, and Biden is clearly the winner here.
  • Are there any videos of the debate online? I had a sectional last night and I missed it image/sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

/music nerds aren't allowed to be involved in politics
    //or anything else, for that matter....
    There was a full video released on youtube by CSPAN. It was on the front page this morning and probably still is.
    There should also be an encore sometime today, maybe two?

/Read the transcript instead image/tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />
    Hotlinks: like hotpockets only tastier.
    I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, but the format of the jokes on that site is obnoxious.

The first one in this list is pretty funny though.
    If Jack were on a horse and asked you to help him dismount, would you help Jack off a horse?
    har har.
  • JonobonoJonobono October 2008
    CJ's post made me rofl a bit.

I'm not a fan of the woman, but i must give her credit for standing in their and smiling while Biden showed her up in every way. When Biden slammed her with the "Ultimate Bridge to Nowhere" I about fell out of my chair.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership