Reinstalling Windows on a laptop
  • redboneredbone November 2008
    I have an about 2.5 year old Compaq laptop that I want to reinstall Windows on. My question/problem is that I don't have any of the drivers etc to go with it. I just have a windows xp disk that I would use to reinstall windows. Will the wireless networking, or networking in general still be able to work? I know with my desktop I have to install the motherboard drivers, graphics drivers, etc, for any of that to kick in. Are these things I can just download off the internet if need be, or for some strange reason because its a Compaq they wouldn't be available? Thanks for any/all help.
  • TrueBelieverTrueBeliever November 2008
    Are you reformatting?

If so, download the drivers b4 time off of the websites of your motherboard, video card, sound card, and your router, then put them on a disk (or thumbdrive, or external HD). So, alls you have to do after that is use that disc (or whatever) for the drivers.

If you don't know what parts you have check them on your comp, or go on google and find the specs by typing in your model type.
  • JeddHamptonJeddHampton November 2008
    compaq support

Just click the radio button for drivers and put the model of the lappy in the text box. Click a button and you are off.

Most companies put their drivers on their websites. Since it is a laptop, I'm making a safe assumption the parts are all the same.
  • GovernorGovernor November 2008
    You're probably best off just installing the motherboard drivers from Compaq, though. This way you get your internet working and then you can download the latest drivers for the rest of your hardware directly from the manufacturer.
  • redboneredbone November 2008
    I see. Cool, thanks for all the help guys.
  • October 2009 Edit
    Its quite possible you installed Linux and placed it on a disk with bootpriority eg. hda and placed windows on a normal disk eg. hdb

bootpriorities are set by your bios
  • ScabdatesScabdates November 2009
    QUOTE (Viormhok73 @ Oct 31 2009, 05:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Its quite possible you installed Linux and placed it on a disk with bootpriority eg. hda and placed windows on a normal disk eg. hdb

bootpriorities are set by your bios

the fuck?
  • NunesNunes November 2009
    QUOTE (Scabdates @ Nov 4 2009, 12:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    the fuck?

For funsies, here's his other post:

"Can someone confirm to me whether i am allowed to purchase an additional lot of WAHT co-op leads, I have been receiving one lot for three months now. If i can have a second lot each month how do i go about ordering them

Many thanks"

I for one, enjoy the injection of a little randomness onto these boards.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership