I am the shoemaster
  • NunesNunes December 2008
    Shoe guy is my hero-of-the-week, and seems to have single-handedly caused chaos in the streets of Iraq, dogs/cats living together in harmony, falling skies, general apocalypse.

Ok... so its more like there are some protests and parliament is trying to keep things together.

5 years in the desert and over 4,000 American lives and what do we have to show for ourselves?
    Peace in Iraq so tenuous it may well be torn apart by two size 10's and an incendiary comment by a no-name reporter.
  • BrianBrian December 2008
    The real story is that Bush has epic reflexes.
  • romerashromerash December 2008
    or more like, he didn't throw the shoe at bush, it was 4 meters away. So bush was reacting to something that was 4 meters away :/

p.s. that's 13 feet for you nub americans!
    QUOTE (romerash @ Dec 17 2008, 11:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    or more like, he didn't throw the shoe at bush, it was 4 meters away. So bush was reacting to something that was 4 meters away :/

p.s. that's 13 feet for you nub americans!

English mother fucker. Do you speak it!?

• EvestayEvestay December 2008
    The poor guy wrote a letter to Maliki asking for a pardon and expressing regret for his ugly act.
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,469307,00.html
    The rule of law has come a long way in Iraq. He gets a trial, he can petition the government for a pardon, he can appeal, he can say he is sorry to the media...etc
    It's been insinuated that the lengthy period of time between the commission of the shoe throwing and the commencement of his trial are indicative of his receiving a severe beating. While it wouldn't shock me, I'd like to take those reports with a grain of salt. Other than that, Iraq really wasn't all that socially bad before we arrived. Nothing like Afghanistan.

Saddam saw himself as a social revolutionary and a modernizer, following the Nasser model. To the consternation of Islamic conservatives, his government gave women added freedoms and offered them high-level government and industry jobs. Saddam also created a Western-style legal system, making Iraq the only country in the Persian Gulf region not ruled according to traditional Islamic law (Sharia). Saddam abolished the Sharia law courts, except for personal injury claims.

They already had a western court system. Shitty judges of course, but we have the same problems here. The rule of law hasn't come a long way, it's just now being tested (in a very strange way) and it appears that it's almost back to the way it was. Only now there isn't a guy who might gas the Kurds in charge.
    I know that they had courts before and that Saddam ran a secular nation. The difference here is that Saddam would not have given this guy a trial for his specific crime. Saddam ran his country pretty well, but he didn't put up with dissenters for one second (House of Saddam on HBO was/is great).

QUOTE (ANunes @ Dec 18 2008, 02:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    The rule of law hasn't come a long way, it's just now being tested (in a very strange way) and it appears that it's almost back to the way it was.

There is absolutely no way you can know this and it was an unfair statement.
    QUOTE (Evestay @ Dec 18 2008, 05:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I know that they had courts before and that Saddam ran a secular nation. The difference here is that Saddam would not have given this guy a trial for his specific crime. Saddam ran his country pretty well, but he didn't put up with dissenters for one second (House of Saddam on HBO was/is great).

There is absolutely no way you can know this and it was an unfair statement.

What you say about Saddam is very true. I was merely commenting on his Iraq being the most westernized country on the block.

I don't see what's so unfair about it. There was a system of courts (a rule of law if you will) until we toppled their government. The next 4 years at least didn't see much progress towards social reconstruction because we were still seeing people blow themselves up on roadblocks. Now they are putting their system of justice to the test in a climate of political uncertainty. It IS good to see that they can start refocusing on that aspect of their lives again. That means things are probably blowing up less over there.

But this thread is about Bush's ninja reflexes and speculation on the hotness of the Egyptian daughter who was offered to the offending shoe thrower.

I just realized you may have thought I was talking much more generally than I meant to be. The *good* things are starting to creep back. Like civilization and rule of law. The genocide and paranoid dictatorship can stay in the past.
    /it's funnier if you imagine the benny hill theme. I promise. (NARR)
    okay, you know whats up =)
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership