Network Problem...Sigh
  • azn+mikeazn mike January 2009
    So I've been having troubles gaming and such because my ping spikes every 30 seconds and I cannot seem to understand why.

1. I've tried many different things, at first I was on wireless b, moved to g, then to n and all gave me same problems.
    2. Now I'm hardwired to the router same problem
    3. Thought it was hard drive crapping out (7 years old) replaced it, same problem.
    4. Got a PCI network card and plugged it into it. Same problem.
    5. Increased the network duplexing (i have no idea wtf this is) I can kinda play CS and TF2 but I can't play DotA it basically lags me out every 30seconds.
    6. Tried different ports on the router. Same problem.
    7. Hard wired directly to the modem, works fine I believe, I was able to play CS without any choke and loss, didn't try DotA.

Despite all this happening to me, my roommate is fine and he's on a wireless b card. He experiences no lag like I do and he plays fine and when we are both online at the same time he's fine and I'm the one that suffers. So doesn't that rule out the router only because I'm the only one affected??? Thoughts?
  • GovernorGovernor January 2009
    Overheating? I seem to remember this happening to you before...

Edit: I didn't notice the 7th point. Overheating may still be the case, but it would mean the "working when directly connected to the modem" thing was just a coincidence. Was your computer shut down for awhile before you attempted the connection directly to the modem?
  • TrueBelieverTrueBeliever January 2009
    well it sounds like it is something with the router if it is working directly from the modem. Maybe it is the firewall (first thing anyone usually states) if it isnt that I really have no clue, but it probably a problem with the router and your pc.
  • stealth_3lfstealth_3lf January 2009
    i've had a similar problem in the past wh ere one of my routers in my house picks up an outside ip address, i'm not exactly sure how it happens but it happens and only with this router, if that's whats happening all you may have to do is restart the router...
    @Gov, no I have not I directly connected from my computer without shutting it down.

@Stealth, I've tried restarting the router many-a-times still the same problem.

Did I mention that I reinstalled windows 4 times?

@True, I have windows firewall off and that's the only thing that's on my computer.
  • fratersangfratersang January 2009
    using dhcp or static IP?
  • NunesNunes January 2009
    QUOTE (Jong @ Jan 26 2009, 01:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Kind of a shot-gun approach to troubleshooting but at least you're thorough.

What brand router? What kind of security?
  • TrueBelieverTrueBeliever January 2009
    QUOTE (Jong @ Jan 26 2009, 01:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    @Gov, no I have not I directly connected from my computer without shutting it down.

@Stealth, I've tried restarting the router many-a-times still the same problem.

@True, I have windows firewall off and that's the only thing that's on my computer.

If I'm correct there should be a firewall on your router which can be accessed by typing the IP in your web browser.
    @Frat dhcp. Only because I have no idea what I'm doing network wise and do a static IP

@ Anunes D-Link DGL - 4300 WPA I think?

@True Believer I dunno I think he has that off too not too sure.
  • coffeecoffee January 2009
    maybe it's something as simple as changing your rates
    @Coffee Tried and besides also does it when I play DotA on Warcraft 3
    get a router.
    or if you want to be sure before you spend the money borrow someone elses router to test it and see if thats the problem
  • romerashromerash January 2009
    are your printer drivers uptodate?
    @Romerash Stop your trolling this instant!

@Stealth Elf I will somehow get my hands on a router and try that. It's weird because I forgot to point out, my friend comes to my apartment once a week and plays dota on his own laptop with no problems. And I still get the shit end of the deal.
    idk if the other router doesn't work than maybe there is something wrong with your motherboard... but that would be rare
  • dandan January 2009
    QUOTE (romerash @ Jan 28 2009, 08:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    are your printer drivers uptodate?

Also, is your computer firmly plugged into a wall outlet?

-dan
  • romerashromerash January 2009
    this might sound dumb, but try these things:

1) DMZ yourself on the router and see
    2) Try changing your IP on the router, there might be an intruder thats targeting that one IP
    3) Wireless is usually shitty when it has to go through obstacles (walls mainly).
    4) When hardwired, have you tried using your roommate's cable? yours might be dying.

Reason why cs and TF are getting better results than dota is that they're more tolerant to packet loss, Dota isnt.

But yeah, all these are shots in the dark, if all fails its def your printer drivers
    @Dan I hate trolls. I'm going to burn you alive.

@Romer My roommate is on wireless and I'm on hardwire. I bought another 50 foot ethernet cable so we'll see if that works better. If not then I'm out of ideas and I refuse to admit that it's my motherboard. (I mean I've tried hardwiring into my motherboard directly, then tried using the PCI network card, and have done wireless, PCI and USB) So I'm confused and frustrated.
  • MeatonMeaton January 2009
    Hey Ok this might sound dumb... but you got any turronts prgram running? something in the back ground trying to update with out you knowing.. IE shit load of windows updates that auto download if you have it set it will couse your conntion to f up big time ...

i think i had this happen to me once before and my issues was update trying to downlaod i have to sit and think harder thgoue really to say it was that..

also while your hard wired into the network start up coputer and plug system in aftetr a few min lookat status light see if they are going crazy.. if so and your doing nothing on your pc then something going on with out you knowing.. IE updates and such and snice you did say you reinstalled windows many time over if you have the option to auto down load updates the updates will suck your bandwith to snail mode till done..

if not i see if i can think of anything else ...

Peace

• azn+mikeazn mike February 2009
    How would I go abouts checking that image/tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />
    New Problem arises:

My roommate and I can't join the same TF2 servers.
  • ScabdatesScabdates February 2009
    QUOTE (Jong @ Feb 1 2009, 01:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    New Problem arises:

My roommate and I can't join the same TF2 servers.

maybe disallowing connections from the same ip?

if that's it, then you can't really fix it :/
    QUOTE (Scabdates @ Feb 1 2009, 02:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    maybe disallowing connections from the same ip?

if that's it, then you can't really fix it :/

We used to be able to image/sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />
  • MeatonMeaton February 2009
    have you try a master reset to the route you guys are useing .. you will have to reinput any password and user name into the fileds if you use it ... there should be a factory rest option on router in the options or a reset on the back of the router.. this will clear eveythingout try that if you have not already done so..

yeah we tried that already
  • NunesNunes February 2009
    I'd recommend MAC Filtering instead of WPA. It's simpler to set up and just as secure (nothing will REALLY stop a good war-driver anyway...)

That would eliminate the possibility of a security eff-up.

One less thing, right?
    SO got a new wire...Still same problem...So time to get myself a new router.
  • coffeecoffee February 2009
    Did you try....HONESTY
  • romerashromerash February 2009
    like i said it'll all come down to the printer drivers
    I updated the printer drivers and still didn't solve the problem. Thought it would work too.

I bought a new router Linksys WRT110 and now I have to bring it back (was at best buy and just picked a router) because apparently when a computer with Windows Vista connects to the network it drops all the computers that are on that network regardless of being wired or not haha.

So....I hooked up my old router D-link DGL-4300 and decided to do a hardware reset and re-update the firmware and so far it hasn't given me problems...but I'm sure it will.
  • ErlingErling March 2009
    QUOTE (Jong @ Feb 12 2009, 11:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I bought a new router Linksys WRT110 and now I have to bring it back (was at best buy and just picked a router) because apparently when a computer with Windows Vista connects to the network it drops all the computers that are on that network regardless of being wired or not haha.

Never heard of that nor does it even make sense.

Sounds to me like you've spent enough money already on this problem that you could have just bought a brand new computer.
  • hexenwulfhexenwulf March 2009
    QUOTE (Jong @ Feb 12 2009, 10:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So.... it would seem that none of the other computers want to associate themselves with Vista. From what I have heard about Vista I don't blame them. Can't wait for the newest bug laden version of Windows. If it comes soon enough I might be able to miss out on Vista all together. Maybe I should just go back to DOS 6.0.
  • dandan March 2009
    One of these days, I'm actually going to uninstall Windows and go to Linux. I'm just really lazy, and my XP install is pretty stable. Once Microsoft stops supporting XP, I'll probably just drop Windows altogether.

-dan
  • hexenwulfhexenwulf March 2009
    I am running the UBUNTU distro of Linux on my comp. (dual boot) Just trying to ease my way into a more serious version of Linux.
  • azn+mikeazn mike March 2009
    I couldn't get the wireless adapter to work with Ubuntu so I quit =/
  • NunesNunes March 2009
    Do you live in a dorm or school provided housing? Cause they might just be fucking with you. Otherwise I'm pretty sure it's poltergeists. You've been haunted.

Who have you wronged in the last 12 years? (statute of limitations on proper haunting. After that ghosts are permitted only intermittent light flickers and a broken plate here or there.) Full list please.

Has anyone ever died in your current place of residence? If yes, was it violent, an accident, both or neither?

Do you keep ancient 'knick-knacks' around your house? Were these 'knick-knacks' robbed from a tomb somewhere?

/who you gonna call?
  • NunesNunes March 2009
    QUOTE (Jong @ Mar 3 2009, 03:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I couldn't get the wireless adapter to work with Ubuntu so I quit =/

PS: you may need to install nds wrapper to get windows drivers for it, because ubuntu doesn't need drivers. If he has trouble, it's easy, just do an -aptget.

why anybody would spend all that time and energy to use their computer I'll never know...

/I still haven't gotten an explanation from 'knowledgable' ubuntu users about what the fuck an aptget is and how to do it. Or why they keep saying ubuntu doesn't need drivers when it has a program available specifically designed to port windows drivers over...
    Yeah I tried the nds wrapper and for some reason it wouldn't install right...so I was stuck with vista =/
  • JeddHamptonJeddHampton March 2009
    "Googling for Vista network performance issues turned up a big red herring about TCP window scaling, which Vista implements for the first time in Windows, and can cause performance issues with some routers." Found this while reading this (not really related to your issue... it is sort of a side note).
    Funny things happened yesterday with my new router I bought (one the best linksys G routers recommended from new egg), it just randomly dropped me from the internet for like few seconds...it was weird...
  • romerashromerash March 2009
    there are civilized people in this world that use vista?
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership