Server?
  • MagicMagic February 2009
    I know we tried everything (including the kitchen sink) before the decision to shut down the server was made, but would anyone be up for giving it another shot?

I've been playing in resin a lot lately and have noticed...

1) a lot of donuts and donut regs still play (I've seen frat, tommy, redbone, rubix, gamms, rhyno, hex, jismify, meathammer, silent, shadoww, catwoman -- and i'm sure there's more)

2) there are people i've never seen before who recognize the donut tag and want to know the ip to our server. These people have nothing but good things to say about their memories at FD, typical convo goes like "Hey Magic, does donut still have a server?" "Nope, clan died, no more server." "damn, that was full of good people and always a fun place to play."

IDK, maybe I'm being too optimistic about how much activity a server would get, but it seems like there would be a lot of people (old and new) that could end up in the server. I know that would mean a lot of work (time on the site, dishing out admin rights, patroling the serv, stats, trying to get traffic in the server, etc) -- I guess I'm just missing the good ole days in FD.

image/sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />
  • romerashromerash February 2009
    people still play this game?
  • fratersangfratersang February 2009
    Our numbers almost rival r3s1n itself.

I guess the bottom line is...who would be paying for this?

btw, on a similiar note, lets keep a presence people! Wear your tag when you are in places like r3s1n! I usually try to.
  • AlfyAlfy February 2009
    I need to start playing more CS I guess.

Tommykins is wanting me to.
  • coffeecoffee February 2009
    i would not be in because i have not played since ~november and don't plan to start again. But if i may ask what problems do you have with the resin server, besides being able to run it as you see fit. In my opinion their rules are fair and complement an agressive and competitive style of play, and their admins are capable. 2) it would be difficult to rebuild a regular-base for an outdated game especially given the increased popularity of source and the fact that there are no new players on 1.6, just existing players who grew up on it. just look at meathammer's clan's servers. c) no scrilla to spare in this recession. And finally, i think it would be your responsibility to run the server since Governor probably doesn't care much for this.

-sexy prick
  • AlfyAlfy February 2009
    QUOTE (coffee @ Feb 25 2009, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    i would not be in because i have not played since ~november and don't plan to start again. But if i may ask what problems do you have with the resin server, besides being able to run it as you see fit. In my opinion their rules are fair and complement an agressive and competitive style of play, and their admins are capable. 2) it would be difficult to rebuild a regular-base for an outdated game especially given the increased popularity of source and the fact that there are no new players on 1.6, just existing players who grew up on it. just look at meathammer's clan's servers. c) no scrilla to spare in this recession. And finally, i think it would be your responsibility to run the server since Governor probably doesn't care much for this.

-sexy prick

As much as it hurts, this man speaks the truth. I have a feeling that it would get a burst of people in the beginning, and then would quickly die off.

However, I am optimistic, and would be in the server as much as I could.
  • I'm kind of happy just perma wearing my donut tag in honour of how freeking awesome this place was.

As much as I wish it was still around, I can't see it coming back. A lot of us regulars have grown up too, a lot of ppl have tough time commitments and what not, I cant see anyone being able to sacrifice the time to not only bring it back, but maintain it and help it grow.

I'm happy just bumping into old faces in resin or following them on steam friends. If people werent so fucking gay with steam names and just kept theirs the same I'm sure I'd remember whos who a lot more (that's a comment on general steam retards, not necessarily any people here).

Plus some of you tools who don't play anymore should give it a go when some of us are together in resin. You really will love it after being away for a while. I noes I did. I'm sure soon I'll be afk a bit again for a month or two game time wise but will always come back!

<3 all.
  • jkarate212jkarate212 February 2009
    QUOTE (Funky Pasta T0mmY @ Feb 25 2009, 04:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I'm kind of happy just perma wearing my donut tag in honour of how freeking awesome this place is.

I dunno...the only complaint that I have with r3s1n is the "camp zones" that kick my ass once in a while when im on bridge for more than 15 seconds. That, and the addidional mods they have (the pissing, etc)

I dont see it as a bad place to play considering that many donuts frequent it, and that's really the reason I play there. I enjoy playing with the same people I used to play with, and of course we all grew up on assault.

I think it would be difficult to start a new server, as r3s1n has simply grown to be so popular. I'd love to be able to play on an FD run server, there's no doubt about that, but I want it to be where the only way I can get in is if I sit on "Auto join" for 20 minutes and fight for a slot...the good ol' days.
  • waterxm04waterxm04 February 2009
    I'd love to play again, but i'm done competitive play forever and i'm banned from resin so I can't really play with the people I want to so i've since quit playing. But I'd throw a 5$ at it for a month or two to see what happens
  • MagicMagic February 2009
    I agree with what coffee and others are saying, that it would be hard to start up a new base of regulars in a dying game. It just makes me nostalgic everytime people ask about donut so I thought I'd throw the idea out there and see what the reaction would be.

I'm still (usually) wearing the tag in servers and encourage others to do the same. I'm still going to keep the server idea in the back of my head -- if enough people show interest who know what can happen.
  • KPKP February 2009
    QUOTE (Magic @ Feb 26 2009, 11:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I agree with what coffee and others are saying, that it would be hard to start up a new base of regulars in a dying game. It just makes me nostalgic everytime people ask about donut so I thought I'd throw the idea out there and see what the reaction would be.

I'm still (usually) wearing the tag in servers and encourage others to do the same. I'm still going to keep the server idea in the back of my head -- if enough people show interest who know what can happen.

I haven't played CS in basically forever, but I do miss the donut server days...was a lot of fun.

I agree that a new server would probably have a following when it started but would quickly die.

I'll try and get on and play a bit on this resin server...though i'll suck
  • azn+mikeazn mike February 2009
    I play more TF2 than I play CS now.
  • KPKP February 2009
    QUOTE (Jong @ Feb 26 2009, 02:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I play more TF2 than I play CS now.

TF2 server!!!
  • ErlingErling February 2009
    That's it bitches.

Edit: Maybe a few more downloads would really spark this server up.
  • ScabdatesScabdates February 2009
    i'd play on it
  • xemplarxemplar March 2009
    QUOTE (Scabdates @ Feb 28 2009, 01:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    i'd play on it

i would as well!
  • mfarrmfarr March 2009
    I haven't played in forever, but I do miss playing with everyone. I may start to pick up playing cs some more and if we have a server I will be ten times more likely to play.

Oh yes, and hello everyone!
  • *Headbutt*
  • redboneredbone March 2009
    QUOTE (Funky Pasta T0mmY @ Mar 4 2009, 02:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    *Headbutt*

*swordfight*

IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN
  • MagicMagic March 2009
    QUOTE (redbone @ Mar 4 2009, 06:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    *swordfight*

IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN

YOU DON'T HAVE THE PROPER EQUIPMENT

wow, I'm helping derail my own thread
  • xemplarxemplar March 2009
    What are you exactly looking for, Magic? People just to play on it? People to financially support it? Both?....I'm just curious.
  • MagicMagic March 2009
    I wanted to do a couple things:

-gauge interest
    -provide a place for others to discuss (I don't think the resin server is an appropriate place to talk about the old donut server or the possibilities of a new one)
    -put the thought in the back of people's heads and/or attempt to show that the level of former donut activity is still pretty strong

As far as the server itself, I would possibly be able to throw a good chunk of cash into running it for the first couple months, but would also need help (I don't make THAT much, especially since I'm trying to purchase a house sometime this year). But I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to the other aspects, and would also need assistance in other areas such as:

-maintaining / policing the server (I may play in resin a lot now, but in a few weeks my job is going to require me to be on the road a lot)
    -any sort of forum setup / maintenance / etc
    -advertising / finding people to play on it

In the past I think starting a CS server was like rolling a giant stone downhill, with a large population of players it was a lot easier to start something like this up (not that it was cake, but certainly easier then it would be now). Now-a-days I feel like getting a server rolling would be equivalent to trying to roll a huge stone up a hill because of the shrinking population. I can't do it alone, but with the right amount and group of people I wouldn't say it couldn't be done.
  • GRiFGRiF April 2009
    this might be bold for my second post but your model worked well for years. i dont know why it fell apart but ive got somethin goin on that might get you a server. no promises, just need to know if what i got goin on is compatible with your standards.
    im on steam more these days but i think most know where my pm box at resin is but ill come back here more too.
    your servers sit dead but this thing has been carried on by the ppl, so its not really dead. if changing that is somethin of interest to ya i might be able to do somethin about it. ill be around.
    peace
  • BrianBrian April 2009
    The model used for FD didn't become unsuccessful, CS died.

Its time for a new game... but there isn't one half as good in existence shooter-wise.
  • GovernorGovernor April 2009
    Left 4 dead is quite good. It isn't as good as CS, but if more people from FD played, I might call it "half as good" as CS.
  • MagicMagic April 2009
    QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 6 2009, 12:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    The model used for FD didn't become unsuccessful, CS died.

Its time for a new game... but there isn't one half as good in existence shooter-wise.

It hasn't died (yet) but it has certainly declined.

FD hit a perfect storm of CS decline, server ip changes, and current members moving on to other things without other regulars to fill in behind them.

• GovernorGovernor April 2009
    The problem with CS though isn't that it is "dead" in the traditional sense, but it is "dead" in the sense of growth. There aren't new players in the game anymore. FD's philosophy that there should be very little interference in the gameplay was not friendly to the average person joining the game for the first time, but there were enough new people joining the game that we were able to snag all of the people who had a similar philosophy and keep them hooked.

IP changes and over-confidence in the leadership certainly didn't help, but I believe the biggest problem was definitely the decline in new players to take the place of the retiring regulars over time.
  • GRiFGRiF April 2009
    i hear ya bout overconfidence. they gimme hell over there, keeps me humble lol.
    there are still about 20 thousand servers right? our assault stays full not only because of our time alive but also in part to our admins and structure, leadership and attitude. you guys arent that different.
    we cant control who logs on. we can control jerks and makin sure those that are here in cs have a good time in server though. dont sweat the intangibles. we dont do this in resin but other clans ive set up or whatever sometimes have weekly, or bi-monthly steam chats or whatever just to keep the crew on the same page, maleable and meshed together. you guys still have your vent channel? think of resources in any shape they come in. dunno.
  • As much as I'd love for it to happen, I can't see the donut we all knew and loved coming back.

The two main reason for this have already been stated, no new plays and the donut method of as little in game interference as possible.

It isn't easy to draw players into an assault game with that mentality in the first place, but with no new players coming on line it would be almost impossible. Furthermore whilst the core community may remain in spirit on these forums, the in game donut community will not only be significantly smaller, it will be striving to try and recapture the community we once had, something which I see as almost impossible.

I'd love to be proven wrong, and would happily chip in some money when I can if you do get something running, I just think trying to re start a donut server because you miss the old days is a fundamental flaw. Those days are done, they were great while they lasted, but we are all different people now, life happens and as it's been said, this game just isn't going anywhere.
  • GRiFGRiF April 2009
    good stuff. be proud of what ya had cause its gone. dont make bringing THAT back a goal cause thats an unrealistic expectation and your just setting yourself up for failure. shift gears. i didnt mean to stir up the nest but if when i find a killer deal ill let someone know then colocation might be an option with a host.
  • NunesNunes April 2009
    There are quite a few younger folks on these forums, perhaps they'd like to take the reigns?

/initiative?
  • ebolaebola April 2009
    l2spell
  • GRiFGRiF April 2009
    victory wont happen with a defeatist attitude. all it takes is one guy. and a spark.
    all im saying is if i find a killer deal and if anyones interested in picking donut up we can talk. you could rent it monthly or whatever, my option keeps the place around forever cause its not the hosts server, but yours. so once the price is paid its guaranteed not to die as long as one guy keeps the dream alive and builds it. so far ive seen 20+ guys keeping that alive just by wearing the tag of a forum based clan. everyone knows a donut or two.

initiative? its not my place to lead this crew as i see it. this was your ship, one of your own should captain it.
    would i mind? no. leading clans, teams and crews isnt new to me. if i do it im in it to win it and im gonna need serious help. i think many of you can do this though. the need for me just isnt there.
    i didnt mean to stir the nest, piss ppl off or anything and i hope i havent by doin this. my line of thought was simple:

ive got this thing im doin that gives me connections worldwide. i saw this option and thought if i could help r3s1n ill be happy. maybe r3s1n doesnt need the help right now. who else then? i thought of many clans im close with but in the end i always came back to donut. you guys need it the most. im just playing it forward since you boys have been so tight with us in the past.

edit- btw theres a thread ongoing about this at r3s1n. your all welcome to chime in if ya like.
  • fratersangfratersang April 2009
    QUOTE (GRiF @ Apr 7 2009, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    victory wont happen with a defeatist attitude. all it takes is one guy. and a spark.
    all im saying is if i find a killer deal and if anyones interested in picking donut up we can talk. you could rent it monthly or whatever, my option keeps the place around forever cause its not the hosts server, but yours. so once the price is paid its guaranteed not to die as long as one guy keeps the dream alive and builds it. so far ive seen 20+ guys keeping that alive just by wearing the tag of a forum based clan. everyone knows a donut or two.

initiative? its not my place to lead this crew as i see it. this was your ship, one of your own should captain it.
    would i mind? no. leading clans, teams and crews isnt new to me. if i do it im in it to win it and im gonna need serious help. i think many of you can do this though. the need for me just isnt there.
    i didnt mean to stir the nest, piss ppl off or anything and i hope i havent by doin this. my line of thought was simple:

ive got this thing im doin that gives me connections worldwide. i saw this option and thought if i could help r3s1n ill be happy. maybe r3s1n doesnt need the help right now. who else then? i thought of many clans im close with but in the end i always came back to donut. you guys need it the most. im just playing it forward since you boys have been so tight with us in the past.

edit- btw theres a thread ongoing about this at r3s1n. your all welcome to chime in if ya like.

There are some things in the works...but I am still working out many details, so don't think your comments here wer wasted on deaf ears.
  • GRiFGRiF April 2009
    honestly, i dont know who the leaders and shakers are thats left. your hierarchy isnt familiar to me. i just mention some of that stuff cause ive been approached with leading this ship cause of my style at pur3, r3s1n and other places im still with.
    you shoulda seen the look i had lol.
  • NunesNunes April 2009
    QUOTE (GRiF @ Apr 7 2009, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wasn't exactly talking about/to you, but whatever. You're still right. If memory serves, the server was competitive but not about winning. The better players played as terrorists and I distinctly recall Gov running around green box with a 5-7 on more than one occasion. I've played in precisely 2 other servers that fostered a community of players who were competent and still willing to fuck about to keep it fun.

Between your cordiality and your piss poor spelling my internets senses are telling me you are a parody of some other, somewhat more real human being. But if you're real, you seem like a pretty stand up dude, and I'd probably spend some time in a donut server if one was around.

/"The trick is, whatever Gov says, you go the other way... with duelies."
  • dandan April 2009
    QUOTE (ANunes @ Apr 7 2009, 02:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    /"The trick is, whatever Gov says, you go the other way... with duelies."

Do this, and then magic will happen.

-dan
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership