Health Care
  • TheDeamonTheDeamon February 2010
    QUOTE (Andrew @ Dec 21 2009, 10:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Whoops. I was responding to Daemon's comments that you need to be in good with the right people to get care. When the system is set up and enforced to (OMG!) ration the care.

Bear in mind, from what I gather from Pheylan's comments, he is experiencing the Active Duty Military care system from the Officer side of things. So his experience is going to be a little bit better than the junior enlisted personnel are seeing in regards to wait times, though they do ultimately get to see the same people.

VA is a pain in the butt. Another response forthcoming on that.
    QUOTE (Andrew @ Nov 12 2009, 08:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    You levy some pretty damning claims against the VA.

That aren't supported by a quick search.

You've already said we manage to take good care of our retired veterans pretty well with their government run healthcare, which more or less handles my problem with Pheylan's comments.

Except your quick search actually is in line with what I was saying.

By Federal law, eligibility for benefits is determined by a system of eight Priority Groups. Retirees from military service, veterans with service-connected injuries or conditions rated by VA, and Purple Heart recipients are within the higher priority groups.

First mention, Retirees... Let me check:
    QUOTE (TheDeamon @ Nov 12 2009, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    The only Veterans who get reasonably good care from the government are the ones who RETIRE, which means they continue to receive a medical care package that is actually maintained and provided by the Military itself, not the VA.

Second mention is "service-connected injuries or conditions rated by VA."

Let us see what I said about that:
    The only people who receive good quality medical care from the VA are ones with suspected or actual significant political pull(typically senior military at time of their separation/retirement).... Or have managed to get their (service connected) medical issue documented five ways from Sunday, and even then they're still likely to be having to pull proverbial teeth using pliers and no pain killers on a regular basis.

And they need it documented up the wazoo because the VA has a tendency of pulling every bureaucratic trick in the book it possibly can to deny coverage or otherwise claim/"determine" the issues the veteran is suffering from wasn't "service connected" after all, and not their problem.

Veterans without rated service-connected conditions may become eligible based on financial need, adjusted for local cost of living. Veterans who do not have service-connected disabilities totaling 50% or more may be subject to copayments for any care they received for nonservice-connected conditions.

Yay, so for me to get Medical Veterans Benefits all I need to do is live below the poverty line and essentially qualify for medicaid so I can then have the VA help pay for it and go through the VA's system rather than the general public option. Otherwise the VA is just another care option for vets that will be cost comparative with the outside world... Again, not much of a benefit for the non-retires who didn't get maimed in service to their country.

Eligibility for VA dental care and nursing home care are much more restricted. VA nursing homes are primarily for veterans needing care for a service-connected condition, or who have service-connected disability ratings of 70% or higher. Reservists and National Guardsmen who were called to active duty by a Federal Executive Order qualify for VA health care benefits.(reference eligibility Priority Groups).

Which goes back to:

Or have managed to get their (service connected) medical issue documented five ways from Sunday, and even then they're still likely to be having to pull proverbial teeth using pliers and no pain killers on a regular basis.

And the conclusion of:

The only way to get good medical service from the VA is to have good connections and make sure that the VA knows that "powerful people" in Washington will come knocking if you don't get the care you are needing. Which is a completely ass backwards way for an organization to operate.

But its why organizations like the VFW and the American Legion have very large memberships and why they maintain a substantial number of lobbyists in Washington. Vets pretty much have to use the VFW and the Legion as a billy-club to get the VA to deliver on much of anything medical related.

They(the VA) lawyers the ever living fuck out of the "service connected" illness/disability, and that is where the teeth pulling starts, and typically continues as an ongoing event.
  • NunesNunes February 2010
    QUOTE (TheDeamon @ Feb 9 2010, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    And they need it documented up the wazoo because the VA has a tendency of pulling every bureaucratic trick in the book it possibly can to deny coverage or otherwise claim/"determine" the issues the veteran is suffering from wasn't "service connected" after all, and not their problem.

Like everybody else's insurance. Except the VA is run with far less overhead and deals with far more serious medical conditions.

Yay, so for me to get Medical Veterans Benefits all I need to do is live below the poverty line and essentially qualify for medicaid so I can then have the VA help pay for it and go through the VA's system rather than the general public option. Otherwise the VA is just another care option for vets that will be cost comparative with the outside world... Again, not much of a benefit for the non-retires who didn't get maimed in service to their country.

Well I suppose that would depend on where the line was drawn. I didn't see a qualifier saying that you had to be below the poverty line. That is either your assumption or your personal experience.

And the conclusion of:
    The only way to get good medical service from the VA is to have good connections and make sure that the VA knows that "powerful people" in Washington will come knocking if you don't get the care you are needing. Which is a completely ass backwards way for an organization to operate.

I have no idea how "there are regulations and requirements in place needed to qualify for VA care" means "it's a completely corrupt system that is based entirely on favoritism and having powerful connections"

That's like saying that because I need to provide to pieces of snail mail to the DMV in order to get my driver's license means that I can only get my license if I know the Governor... Sorry, I don't buy it.

You were doing really well until that last, completely over the top bit.

But this argument is largely about whether the government runs a decent health care system. You've described faults with the VA system that are prevalent in its private counterpart. Is there something the VA has a tendency to mishandle that private insurance does a better job with?
    QUOTE (Andrew @ Feb 9 2010, 03:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I have no idea how "there are regulations and requirements in place needed to qualify for VA care" means "it's a completely corrupt system that is based entirely on favoritism and having powerful connections"

Where did I say the VA is "corrupt" as you're wanting to call it?

I'm claiming it is bureaucratic and ineffectual.

Instances of people receiving VA Care they were not entitled to is virtually unheard of. (Which would be where corruption claims could rightfully come into play)

Instances of people who are entitled to receive VA Care who have their claims denied until they they start working political strings to "backdoor the process" are frighteningly common.

That's like saying that because I need to provide to pieces of snail mail to the DMV in order to get my driver's license means that I can only get my license if I know the Governor... Sorry, I don't buy it.

You were doing really well until that last, completely over the top bit.

No it's more like saying the DMV is going to decline your application to get a drivers license even though everything is in order. Until you petition the Governor and his office starts asking them why you haven't had your license issued, at which point you suddenly get your license issued.
    QUOTE (TheDeamon @ Feb 23 2010, 12:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Where did I say the VA is "corrupt" as you're wanting to call it?

I'm claiming it is bureaucratic and ineffectual.

Instances of people receiving VA Care they were not entitled to is virtually unheard of. (Which would be where corruption claims could rightfully come into play)

Instances of people who are entitled to receive VA Care who have their claims denied until they they start working political strings to "backdoor the process" are frighteningly common.

No it's more like saying the DMV is going to decline your application to get a drivers license even though everything is in order. Until you petition the Governor and his office starts asking them why you haven't had your license issued, at which point you suddenly get your license issued.

The bolded part is what most people would call "corruption".

And if that bolded part is frighteningly common, you should be able to dig up an example or two pretty easily, no?

Also, shit... who cares? I mean... at all. The problems you are describing are identical to the ones presented by the VA's private counterparts. So while I maintain that the VA is still preferable to private insurance, I don't see how saying that VA sucks just as bad as private insurance helps your case that agencies run by the government are somehow inherently extra-inefficient.

QUOTE (Andrew @ Feb 23 2010, 11:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    The bolded part is what most people would call "corruption".

And if that bolded part is frighteningly common, you should be able to dig up an example or two pretty easily, no?

Also, shit... who cares? I mean... at all. The problems you are describing are identical to the ones presented by the VA's private counterparts. So while I maintain that the VA is still preferable to private insurance, I don't see how saying that VA sucks just as bad as private insurance helps your case that agencies run by the government are somehow inherently extra-inefficient.

Sorry, but to me, the bolded part you quoted back would be equivalent to my going to the store's manager and complaining about the person working the Customer Service Desk refusing to refund my purchase even though everything is in order on my end. There is no corrupt deal on my side or the manager's side, there is simply a Customer Service Clerk who isn't doing their job properly.

And as for providing an example? Kind of hard to do when medical information is considered confidential and most of the Veteran's affected aren't out for publicity, so it is generally kept low-key to the point that the only way you hear about it is by means of knowing the persons being affected.
    QUOTE (TheDeamon @ Feb 24 2010, 12:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Sorry, but to me, the bolded part you quoted back would be equivalent to my going to the store's manager and complaining about the person working the Customer Service Desk refusing to refund my purchase even though everything is in order on my end. There is no corrupt deal on my side or the manager's side, there is simply a Customer Service Clerk who isn't doing their job properly.

And as for providing an example? Kind of hard to do when medical information is considered confidential and most of the Veteran's affected aren't out for publicity, so it is generally kept low-key to the point that the only way you hear about it is by means of knowing the persons being affected.

So what you were describing is not some gross inefficiency or even a mild damnation of the VA. You were just saying that sometimes your claim is denied until you call and get it straightened out. Unless you're saying that you need to be related to the manager too, in which case, yeah... I'd call that corruption. So... what's your point again?

I feel compelled to point out that it seems strange that the VA would be so absolutely terrible, so bad in fact that it serves as an example to dissuade us from pursuing any other nationalized health insurance systems, and yet so many veterans choose to use it. If private insurance is better than at least SOME veterans would say "fuck off" to the VA.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership