Music @ Work
  • GovernorGovernor September 2009
    I'm curious about your music-listening habits while at work. I had a sudden realization that people might have a significantly different work day than I.

For me, music is an absolute essential in the workplace. I got my first job about 11 years ago, and nearly every single place that I have ever worked had music playing non-stop. I have only worked one place where I couldn't listen to music: two years ago I held a summer internship at a geospatial software company. I despised it. I'm sure it wasn't just the lack of music, but even though the app we were working on was challenging and I got some flexibility in how I handled it, I could not make it through a single day without literally being bored to tears by early to mid afternoon.

Music is and has been a requirement for me no matter whether I am at work, working from home, or even when I was working for school. I seriously think I'd turn down nearly any job that didn't allow me to listen to music all day.
  • mungomungo September 2009
    At my previous job, there wasn't a shot in hell I could listen to music. At my new job, I could listen, but have no urge to.

However, on very long days, music is a must to keep me awake.
  • PheylanPheylan September 2009
    Air Traffic Control frowns when I listen to my iPod instead of them.
  • JeddHamptonJeddHampton September 2009
    I picked never, but I've done it twice in my office career, and those were rare occasions (extremely few people in office).
  • BlackLightBlackLight September 2009
    does my vote not count considering I work at Universal Music?
  • fratersangfratersang September 2009
    When I can listen to music, I do most all the time.
  • dandan September 2009
    I use up my 40 free hours of playtime on Pandora by the middle of the second week of the month. If I couldn't listen to music at work, I'd probably go crazy.

-dan
  • coffeecoffee September 2009
    only when I've got a repetitive, mundane task to do that day
  • KPKP September 2009
    When I had a full time job I did listen to music all the time so I voted that way.

I used to say as a high school student, if you give me a basic job, and let me listen to music, I'll be happy.

• NunesNunes September 2009
    imeem.com

pandora is for teh lewz.

I take breaks from music when I'm not at my desk. Only.
  • WedgeWedge September 2009
    I voted no because at my current job there is no way I could listen to music. There is usually too much to pay attention to as well.

But before this job I worked either retail or bar tending/waiting tables so music was always on.
  • mungomungo September 2009
    QUOTE (Wedge @ Sep 16 2009, 10:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I voted no because at my current job there is no way I could listen to music. There is usually too much to pay attention to as well.

But before this job I worked either retail or bar tending/waiting tables so music was always on.

What do you do now?
  • WedgeWedge September 2009
    QUOTE (mungo @ Sep 16 2009, 10:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    What do you do now?

Emergency dispatcher for three towns. We work out of one of the towns PD's so we fall under the same rules as the officers, so I'm sure its against the SOP's as well.
  • AlfyAlfy September 2009
    I get to do pretty much what I want at work, as long as I hit my deadlines.

Listening to music is encouraged where I work.
  • romerashromerash September 2009
    can't code without listening to music!
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership