my video card is soiling itself
  • ScabdatesScabdates September 2009
    my video card is running really really really hot and the fan wont spin, i took the damn thing apart, tried getting it to spin myself, tried oiling the axle, nothing is working

geforce 7300gt jesus tell me what to do before it sets on fire

• hexenwulfhexenwulf September 2009
    ummmm. Have you considered buying a new cooling fan? There is a alternative though, immerse the whole computer in mineral oil. effective and it LOOKS AWESOME!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtufuXLvOok

You can do away with all fans. However if you generate a LOT of heat you may need to cool the oil. However the volume of oil vs thermal load from the computer makes me think that the oil would not require cooling. Unless you wanted too that is.
  • PheylanPheylan September 2009
    Ok, that is pretty cool. But maybe a little impractical for the fix that Scab is looking for.

I'd go with the replace the fan option. I'd guess you'd have to find one online. Other option is to upgrade your video card.
    Or for the super easy and cheap way to fix it. Open the case and point a window fan at the unit.
  • ScabdatesScabdates September 2009
    i've got a window fan on it for now but i guess i'll need to replace it pretty soon bleh
    let me know if it keeps the temp in check.
  • fratersangfratersang September 2009
    you will def need a new fan...many are universal but check the pin connector, otherwise you will have to splice the wires.

all else fails you can strap a case fan to it like I did on my vid card way back when lol.
  • redboneredbone September 2009
    QUOTE (Hexenwulf @ Sep 26 2009, 06:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    ummmm. Have you considered buying a new cooling fan? There is a alternative though, immerse the whole computer in mineral oil. effective and it LOOKS AWESOME!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtufuXLvOok

You can do away with all fans. However if you generate a LOT of heat you may need to cool the oil. However the volume of oil vs thermal load from the computer makes me think that the oil would not require cooling. Unless you wanted too that is.

win.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership