New Comp
  • hexenwulfhexenwulf October 2009
    What I know so far (just got it)

4 each Western Digital velociraptor hd's WD3000GLFS

Intel Q6600 quad core

Gigabyte mobo. Not sure of exact model yet.

Kingwin 700 watt power supply

Unknown ATI video card

Currently running windows server 2003 with unknown passwords so I cannot do anything yet. Trying an Ubuntu install RAID 0. Just for giggles.

Overall cost to me ZERO DOLLARS!!!

Seemed like a good deal to me. Hopefully I don't mess things up with the linux install. What is the latest on Windows 7? anyone with real world experience? How about a RAID install, will it support it?
  • dandan October 2009
    You paid too much.

-dan
  • hexenwulfhexenwulf October 2009
    My apologies, I just realized that the topic sounded like I had a computer for sale. It is not.

update. just got an acer v173 monitor new, never used also FREE!

Also an Nvidia 9600gt FREE!

My nephew was friends with the computer guru at an electronic bingo hall here in Alabama. They just made all of them Illegal. They had to shut the doors. He loaded up as best he could with free computer stuff.
  • monkmonk November 2009
    why do you need a monitor when you had that bigass tv>?
  • fratersangfratersang November 2009
    go for win 7, works great, does have good raid support from everything ive read, but i am not actually using a raid config.

Nice on the raptors...if you felt you had too many i could be convinced to buy one off ya. image/wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />
  • hexenwulfhexenwulf November 2009
    Sorry Frat. Yes I went with win 7 and seems to work wonderfully with a hardware RAID0 which unfortunately uses both of the Raptors. Now I just need to get win to recognize the other two drives. I think it may have something to do with setting them up in a raid with Linux. Just need to find em and format em. Have not had as much comp time lately. Might see about it when I get home this weekend.
    QUOTE (monk @ Nov 11 2009, 09:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WOW! Howdy Monk! long time no chat. To answer your question, you can never get too much free computer stuff.
  • BrianBrian November 2009
    QUOTE (monk @ Nov 11 2009, 10:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Holy shit its this guy? image/blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />
    QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 13 2009, 12:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Holy shit its this guy? image/blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Well, it is getting closer to 2012. Is his return one of the signs of the apocolypse?
  • BrianBrian November 2009
    QUOTE (Hexenwulf @ Nov 13 2009, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Well, it is getting closer to 2012. Is his return one of the signs of the apocolypse?

Ugh, don't even get me started on that bullshit. I've called out idiots on that shit more times then I can remember.
  • NunesNunes November 2009
    CYA:
    if marryfoxgirl is a real person, which I doubt, please remove the link from your signature.

/which is not a signature at all, but part of your post. Restored minuz linksauz for the lulz.
    //Not restored. Because I'm too dumb?
    QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 14 2009, 02:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Ugh, don't even get me started on that bullshit. I've called out idiots on that shit more times then I can remember.

Back... uhhh... on topic. My calendar on my desk just ends on 12/31/2009... I'm much more worried about what will happen then. I mean... it just... ends.

/...
    //... ...
    QUOTE (Andrew @ Nov 19 2009, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Back... uhhh... on topic. My calendar on my desk just ends on 12/31/2009... I'm much more worried about what will happen then. I mean... it just... ends.

/...
    //... ...

No worries, our civilization is still around. Therefore we can make a new calendar, problem solved.

The BIG PROBLEM is that the Mayan Civilization has pretty much come to an end, therefore no new Mayan calendar. This obviously means that since a defunct Civilization can't make a new calendar our entire planet will come to a horrifying end.

But HAVE NO FEAR!!! I have a solution to the whole problem. There are still descendent's of the Mayan people running around. I will go and find one. I shall then give him 'bout tree-fiddy to make a NEW CALENDAR thus saving all of humanity from destruction.

That should at least earn me the Nobel Peace Prize, or at least a free small sized coffee from Mc Donalds.

Everyone please submit your plans to "Save the World".
    This has gotten waaaay off the original topic, but I like where it's going.
    QUOTE (Hexenwulf @ Nov 20 2009, 07:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    No worries, our civilization is still around. Therefore we can make a new calendar, problem solved.

The BIG PROBLEM is that the Mayan Civilization has pretty much come to an end, therefore no new Mayan calendar. This obviously means that since a defunct Civilization can't make a new calendar our entire planet will come to a horrifying end.

But HAVE NO FEAR!!! I have a solution to the whole problem. There are still descendent's of the Mayan people running around. I will go and find one. I shall then give him 'bout tree-fiddy to make a NEW CALENDAR thus saving all of humanity from destruction.

That should at least earn me the Nobel Peace Prize, or at least a free small sized coffee from Mc Donalds.

Everyone please submit your plans to "Save the World".

The problem is that the Mayan Calendar is ridiculously complicated.
    Tzolk'in Calendar:
    20 day "months"
    13 "month" years

Haab' Calendar
    20 day "months"
    18 "month" years
    Months started at day 0, the seating point of the month. Or in some versions day 20 of the previous month.
    At the end of each calendar year there was a 5 day period known as Wayeb to clock off the excess Solar Year time. This makes for problems tracking seasons over long periods of time as it doesn't account for 365.25 day years, but only 365.

This calendar is only sufficient to count 52 years worth of days. After that it repeats. So a longer calendar was devised using a 5 Base-20 system. 1.1.1.1.1 to 20.20.20.18.20 (only 18 "winals" to account for 20*18 +5 = 365 days) which allows for well beyond 12/12/2012 but the final recorded and calculated date value was set to the final day of the 13th b'ak'tun or 13.20.20.18.20 There are still another 1,008,000 days left AFTER 2012, taking us to:
    4,771 AD

Even if we make all the same assumptions as these doom&gloomists we still find that they are completely ignorant and retarded.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership