I died today. Twice.
  • PheylanPheylan April 2010
    Two heart attacks while eating this thing, and it was still worth it for the culinary orgasm in my mouth. Even adkins friendly with no empty carbs!

http://www.kfc.com/doubledown/
  • NunesNunes April 2010
    The doubledown is an abomination and an affront to the baby jesus. You should feel bad about yourself, and your family should be ashamed of you.

Have you come out to them as a Doubledown advocate? Do they know?
  • PhilPhil April 2010
    some of my thoughts on this sandwich in the link below.

http://southbaltimorecf.com/2010/04/11/monday-apr-12/

ps, read the blog, its good for you.
  • NunesNunes April 2010
    QUOTE (Phil @ Apr 15 2010, 04:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    some of my thoughts on this sandwich in the link below.

http://southbaltimorecf.com/2010/04/11/monday-apr-12/

ps, read the blog, its good for you.

thoughts?
  • mungomungo April 2010
    QUOTE (Andrew @ Apr 21 2010, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm under the impression that there are two servings per double down.
  • NunesNunes April 2010
    QUOTE (mungo @ Apr 22 2010, 10:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I'm under the impression that there are two servings per double down.

That would make a double down over 1000 calories.

I have this candy bar made of solid lard, see. But it's 8 servings so there's only 20g of fat in it.
    It was still so yummy.
  • NunesNunes April 2010
    QUOTE (Pheylan @ Apr 22 2010, 05:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    It was still so yummy.

I plan on getting one next time I'm at a kfc.

But seriously... it's a heart condition waiting to happen.
  • crazyd1415crazyd1415 April 2010
    something about that sandwich doesn't seem right.
  • hexenwulfhexenwulf April 2010
    Well what does not seem legit is the City Rag article. Ignorant fearmonger writing something just to make noise. Not going for anything actually factual.

1). 2 fried chicken breasts at 360 calories, 21 grams of fat each, comes to – 720 calories and 42 grams…

PROBABLY TRUE! However how many chicken BREASTS are in a sammitch made from chicken FILETS? Those have a diff calorie count. Just look it up on KFC's site.

2). 2 x 1 oz slice of “Monterey Jack and pepper jack cheese” at 100 calories, 9 grams of fat each, comes to 200 calories and 18 grams fat…

HAHAHAAA his own link to the cheese if for a bulk block of cheese. I looked up a weight for a slice of Kraft american = 19 grams = 0.670 ounce. and it does not look like a full slice of cheese in the sammitch pic to me. A tad bit thinner than the ol' Kraft. However I vote for putting a full two ounces of cheese on the sammitch.

3). 2 strips bacon, equals 70 calories and 6 grams of fat…

The picture they show looks more like one strip of bacon broken in half. I will contact KFC and reqest nay good sirs DEMAND more healthy bacon be used in the sammitch.

4). According to KFC a single filet sandwich with sauce is 480 calories and 24 grams of fat. Even their own math isn’t working.

What isn't working??? Oh he thinks the sammitch is made up of TWO complete sandwiches with bacon and cheese between them? Not a bad idea really. Mayhap I shall some day try this.

Guess this guy wants a job with CNN. He can do the "gun" reporting.

P.S. Might have to try one of these myself, that is if they can get the bacon count up.

Is the CITY RAG a legit source or is it more like the Onion? Meh, if I made an ass of myself who cares.
    QUOTE (Hexenwulf @ Apr 23 2010, 01:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Well what does not seem legit is the City Rag article. Ignorant fearmonger writing something just to make noise. Not going for anything actually factual.

1). 2 fried chicken breasts at 360 calories, 21 grams of fat each, comes to – 720 calories and 42 grams…

PROBABLY TRUE! However how many chicken BREASTS are in a sammitch made from chicken FILETS? Those have a diff calorie count. Just look it up on KFC's site.

2). 2 x 1 oz slice of “Monterey Jack and pepper jack cheese” at 100 calories, 9 grams of fat each, comes to 200 calories and 18 grams fat…

HAHAHAAA his own link to the cheese if for a bulk block of cheese. I looked up a weight for a slice of Kraft american = 19 grams = 0.670 ounce. and it does not look like a full slice of cheese in the sammitch pic to me. A tad bit thinner than the ol' Kraft. However I vote for putting a full two ounces of cheese on the sammitch.

3). 2 strips bacon, equals 70 calories and 6 grams of fat…

The picture they show looks more like one strip of bacon broken in half. I will contact KFC and reqest nay good sirs DEMAND more healthy bacon be used in the sammitch.

4). According to KFC a single filet sandwich with sauce is 480 calories and 24 grams of fat. Even their own math isn’t working.

What isn't working??? Oh he thinks the sammitch is made up of TWO complete sandwiches with bacon and cheese between them? Not a bad idea really. Mayhap I shall some day try this.

Guess this guy wants a job with CNN. He can do the "gun" reporting.

P.S. Might have to try one of these myself, that is if they can get the bacon count up.

Is the CITY RAG a legit source or is it more like the Onion? Meh, if I made an ass of myself who cares.

I fully support any post that debunks articles that cast this sandwich in a negative light.
    Well, his poor fact checking and maths was keeping me up late. Note the 1:33 a.m. post time. I needed to get it out of my system so I could get some sleep before my alarm went off at 5 a.m.. That was not really the problem but still, super shoddy reporting when the information is readily available is just inexcusable and unless written as a joke possibly opens up oneself for some legal issues. People and corporations just love to litigate in the ol' U.S. of A..
    Realized I had not made mention of this part.

1 squirt of sauce 100 calories and 10 grams of fat (even by KFC’s calculations) and the Double Down is hit twice as you can see in the picture, comes to 200 calories and 20 grams fat…

All I see is that it does indeed have sauce. But what if (gasp) they hit it like half a "squirt" on each side? I am also curious as to the volume of a "squirt".
  • NunesNunes April 2010
    that is all possibly true.

Here's a question. What are the dimensions of this thing?

If it's like... half the size I imagine it to be, then their numbers don't surprise me at all.
    Someone go buy one and measure it and give us an approximate size and weight for the sandwich. Then eat it and tell us if it is indeed yummy or bleh.

P.S. They say aspirin helps to thin the blood during a heart attack.
  • BillBill April 2010
    I had one for lunch today. No, it's not as large as you're imagining... But it is tasty, and were it larger, I don't know if I'd have wanted to eat the whole thing.

I thought the same thing as Bill. The one sandwich alone filled me up, no fries or anything.
  • NunesNunes April 2010
    I may stand corrected. There's a KFC/Taco bell a few minutes up route one from me. Maybe I'll have to give this monstrosity a try.
  • BillBill April 2010
    Other observations of note:

After I finished it, I felt fine, even bordering on good. After I eat McD's, or Burgerking, or Wendys, I feel terrible. Something to think about.

Also, most of the people who are like "Oh man, it's so bad for you... Just look at it," wouldn't bat an eye at someone eating 3 or 4 pieces of fried chicken and a side or two in a single meal, with a biscuit. I'm not sure what it is about this thing that garners such a violent response... It doesn't seem so ridiculous if you really think about it.
  • BlackLightBlackLight April 2010
    overrated sandwich in both notoriety and taste. quite filling though
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership