• ErlingErling May 2010
    July 27th.

Who's going to be playing and is anyone else in the beta besides me and Jimmy?
  • KPKP May 2010
    As soon as the laptop I want comes out, I am in.
  • GmnotutooGmnotutoo May 2010
    I don't know if I am in the beta, but I am play for sure.
  • NunesNunes May 2010
    Picked up my beta key last night
    I may have to upgrayyyyd though.
  • GovernorGovernor May 2010
    I pre-ordered it off of Amazon last night, so I expect to get my beta key in the next few days. Kurt/lagwagon also has the beta.

@Andrew: I thought the minimum/recommended specs for sc2 were really low?
  • NunesNunes May 2010
    QUOTE (Governor @ May 4 2010, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    @Andrew: I thought the minimum/recommended specs for sc2 were really low?

They haven't released them on the official site, at least. I'm installing it tonight, trying it tomorrow. We'll see how it runs. The vidyas make it look like even if it runs at minimum I might still want a new gpu.

I'm running some low-ish end first generation pci-e graphics card from ATI. I want an NVidia card anyways after some of my recent experiences.

*cough coughdemigodscough cough*
  • mungomungo May 2010
    SC2?
  • NunesNunes May 2010
    QUOTE (mungo @ May 5 2010, 07:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    SC2?

I declare you... to be an outlaaaaaaaaaaaaaw!
  • mungomungo May 2010
    oh god is this starcraft 2?

gov, you just became 5'2 (down 1.25 inches) in the eyes of all women....dead sexy.
  • NunesNunes May 2010
  • QUOTE (Andrew @ May 5 2010, 05:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One person likes this.
    Downloaded the beta; I should be playing this evening.
  • NunesNunes May 2010
    QUOTE (Jedd @ May 6 2010, 08:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    One person likes this.

That shit is OC, mang.

Revel in it's firsties-ness.
    Governor.epixa if anyone wants to get a game going.
  • romerashromerash May 2010
    i have a beta key, played one game vs 8182979834 koreans and stopped since
  • KPKP May 2010
    What do you all think so far?
    I really enjoy it so far. I am approximately 100x worse than everyone else playing it, but it is still enjoyable.
    Starcraft 2 is the best game released since 2001. Thank you Blizzard.
  • NunesNunes May 2010
    QUOTE (Governor @ May 14 2010, 02:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Starcraft 2 is the best game released since 2001. Thank you Blizzard.

I'm still bitter about the "Thanks for the 5 bucks worth of pre-order confidence everyone! Just thought you might like to know that this game will be released in 3 full-price installments and we're not going to tell you how this will affect the multiplayer experience for those of you that are uninterested in the story." Thing...

Installed it last night, finally. We'll be seeing how it runs this weekend.
    /Who has a shitty computer and is running SC2?
    //How shitty, and how well?
  • PheylanPheylan May 2010
    I have this laptop:

http://www.zdnet.com/reviews/product/lapto...55-tft/34024543

Does anyone have a comparable system? How will this run SC2? I never really am sure when it comes to laptop stats.
  • ErlingErling May 2010
    QUOTE (Andrew @ May 14 2010, 03:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I'm still bitter about the "Thanks for the 5 bucks worth of pre-order confidence everyone! Just thought you might like to know that this game will be released in 3 full-price installments and we're not going to tell you how this will affect the multiplayer experience for those of you that are uninterested in the story." Thing...

Installed it last night, finally. We'll be seeing how it runs this weekend.
    /Who has a shitty computer and is running SC2?
    //How shitty, and how well?

I thought it was made pretty obvious that they're releasing the other campaigns as "expansion packs." And each campaign is supposed to as long as the original game in its entirety. Thus having zero effect on multiplayer - except that maybe they'll add new units and such in the expansions.

So no different than if they were making a game and said that they were going to make two expansion packs for it.

I was also under the impression that the two other campaigns will be expansion pack priced and not full price games.

But I could be wrong; I hadn't followed much of the press around it.

The game's God damn amazing.
  • NunesNunes May 2010
    Naw man. I pre-ordered it several years ago when it was first announced. It was not made clear that there would be only one race's campaign for 50 - 60 bucks.

But it's livable when it's that good, I guess...

I was just expecting the same thing as the first game. Terran Protoss and Zerg campaigns and then an expansion or two on all three.
    That was a poor expectation in my opinion, Andrew. Blizzard has, in the past, dramatically changed their games. They generally do not pump out the same game over and over again. Consider the difference between Warcraft 2 and Warcraft 3. In terms of gameplay, they were _entirely_ different games. Starcraft 2 is extraordinarily similar in gameplay to Starcraft 1; it just has three times more single player content spread out across three releases.

Edit: My computer is two years old. I have a core 2 duo 3.06 GHz, 4 GB 800 MHz ddr2 ram, and an 8800 GS. My settings were defaulted to pretty much the lowest across the board (can anyone confirm that this is the case for _all_ beta users?), and the game runs flawlessly. I've upped the quality and played that way, but I was too used to the perfection of the low settings during battles, so I rolled my settings back. Kurt/lagwagon plays on worse settings than mine without a problem, but I'm not sure what they are off-hand.

I haven't played any really big games though; the beta is currently capped at 2 v 2.
  • BillBill May 2010
    That's true court, about them changing games. That being said, in terms of gameplay, Diablo 1 and 2 couldn't be much more similar.

Bill
    Agreed. I originally wrote "Blizzard has consistently changed their games with every release", but Diablo pretty much shits all over that. I expect Diablo 3 to be pretty different as well, but I'm not sure how yet. The change in gameplay seems similar to the scope that Starcraft 2 has changed gameplay, but they haven't made any announcements about content or release yet, so we'll see.
  • NunesNunes May 2010
    True. It may have been poor to expect the exact same thing, but I was a bit sideswiped by this notion of each individual campaign being a different game. I played the first one bit by bit in each campaign rather than linearly. It seems like I won't be able to play as protoss outside of multiplayer until that game comes out and I drop 60 bucks.

I happen to think that kind of sucks.

I'm not going to renege on that, thinking more about it now.
    Yall are acting like you expected to get a Beta key for this? Reading the the SC2 website on the Beta Opt In process, it doesn't seem like it's guaranteed. I'm looking at getting this, but I'm curious what yall did to get it? Did you just pre-order it and get the key with the pre-order, or did you still do the Opt in process?
  • ErlingErling May 2010
    Most places are offering Beta keys with CE preorders although there were rumors the beta was ending this month. I doubt it will though as IIRC the Warcraft 3 and WoW betas ended about a week before release day. Which would give this beta another solid two months. Maybe Court can confirm?

Diablo 3 looks more like they're taking everything they learned from WoW in regards to items/classes and such and bringing them to Diablo, so I would expect while the basic idea will be the same that character development and the like will vary greatly from the original two.

SC2 isn't changing too much in regards to gameplay. Same game, better engine, badass new battle.net. What more can you ask for?
  • NunesNunes May 2010
    QUOTE (Erling @ May 16 2010, 10:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Most places are offering Beta keys with CE preorders although there were rumors the beta was ending this month. I doubt it will though as IIRC the Warcraft 3 and WoW betas ended about a week before release day. Which would give this beta another solid two months. Maybe Court can confirm?

Diablo 3 looks more like they're taking everything they learned from WoW in regards to items/classes and such and bringing them to Diablo, so I would expect while the basic idea will be the same that character development and the like will vary greatly from the original two.

SC2 isn't changing too much in regards to gameplay. Same game, better engine, badass new battle.net. What more can you ask for?

Lan gaming? Another thing I found out about *after* dropping my pre-order...

Also, Phey:
    You look pretty solid. You might need to slip a better video card in there, but I can't be sure. Not that familiar with Intel GPUs.
    RE: Beta-Keys. I didn't expect to get one. It was a very pleasant surprise. As I understand it, anybody who pre-ordered before a certain date was given a key if they claimed it.
    I pre-ordered it yesterday from Gamestop and *should* be able to pick up the beta key today in the store. Looking forward to it.
    I don't think I can do anything in regards to upgrading a the video card in my laptop.
    @Andrew: The lack of LAN support is definitely very frustrating. I absolutely hate that decision, and I resent them for making it. It isn't enough to make me not want to play the game, but it is definitely a hit on Blizzard's record for me.

@Pheylan: I ordered it off of Amazon when they had a special that gave out beta keys to anyone that pre-ordered. I'm not sure if that special exists anymore.

@Erling: The WoW _open_ beta ended about a week before release, but it only lasted a total of 2-3 weeks. The closed beta (which I was not a part of) lasted longer as far as I know, but I'm not sure how long.
  • ErlingErling May 2010
    I'm not sure about the lack of LAN support. I doubt it will effect me to any extent but it does seem a little bizarre. Doesn't exactly scream Blizzard's MO so I have to wonder if it was something that came from Activision? It will only effect LAN parties and I'm sure Blizzard doesn't want to completely alienate themselves from that group. I dunno, it's hard to wrap your head around for sure. You can, of course, still have two people with legit copies log into Battle.net and play but if you have 20 people... /shrug

Curious if it will be added in later after a lot of public complaining or if maybe they already have something in mind (Private LAN B.NET server that you can run, auths players on it via internet to check keys but doesn't require all the heavy bandwidth to go through Battle.net?)
    I hope it gets added in later, but I'm not holding my breath. I don't remember where I saw it, but Blizzard has been pretty clear that they are completely against people LANing like we do with their older games. They do not want people playing the game unless they purchased it.
    I was under the impression that Blizzard was going to include lan support, but they were going to require you to log into battle net each time prior to setting up the lan to authenticate your version of the game.
  • NunesNunes May 2010
    QUOTE (Pheylan @ May 17 2010, 03:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I was under the impression that Blizzard was going to include lan support, but they were going to require you to log into battle net each time prior to setting up the lan to authenticate your version of the game.

The best I've heard is a "connect to battle.net" and then "lan away!"

Which sounds conspicuously like if you then lose your connection to battle.net while lanning, the game will end.

Annoying.
    Well, got the game downloaded and installed last night. Probably going to play a couple games later today.

Can you not do regular battle.net chat rooms while in the beta? Only options I saw were to play mulitplayer games. No chat functions.
  • ErlingErling May 2010
    There is, it's just more like IM conversations now, once you open one you there's a little arrow on the right edge you can click out and you can invite more people into your "room."

What's your RealID email (b.net email address)? And what's yours Court (Not your profile name)?
    Edit: PM sent with email.
  • ErlingErling May 2010
    got it
    governor at this domain
  • KPKP May 2010
    gaaaah i want to plaly!!!
    Messed around with it today. Fun game. If you played the first one its really, really easy to pick up. I can see many hours being wasted on this.
  • ErlingErling May 2010
    Not wasted. Definitely not wasted.
  • ErlingErling May 2010
    New Patch
    StarCraft II Beta -- Patch 13 (version 0.15.0.15449)

General

* Map Publishing is now enabled: Using the map editor, you can upload your custom maps to share with the Battle.net community.
    * Facebook feature is integrated: Here’s a quick way to expand your social network by seeing who among your existing Facebook friends also has a Battle.net account.
    * 3v3 and 4v4 formats are now enabled.
    * Numerous updates have been made to the Leagues & Ladders system:

o Removed Copper League and added Diamond League above Platinum League.
    o Player ratings start at 0, rather than 1000.
    o No longer displays loading screen odds in placement or practice league matches.
    o Matchmaking system logic updated.

* UDP is enabled to help improve game performance.
    * Numerous performance and stability improvements.

Balance Changes

* PROTOSS

o Sentry

+ Force Fields can now be destroyed by Massive ground units walking over them.

o Void Ray

+ Range decreased from 7 to 6.

o Warp Gate

+ Subgroup selection priority changed from 2 to 3 so that it takes priority over Gateways when selected.

* TERRAN

o Marine

+ Stimpack research cost decreased from 150/150 to 100/100.
    + Combat Shield research cost decreased from 150/150 to 100/100.

* ZERG

o Infestor

+ Infested Terran spell removed.
    + Frenzy spell added:

# Costs 25 energy.
    # Targets a single biological unit which deals 25% more damage and is immune to snare, stuns, and mind control for 30 seconds.

o Overseer

+ Contaminate spell added:

# Costs 75 energy.
    # Targets a single enemy structure which cannot train units or research upgrades for 30 seconds.

+ Infested Terran spell added:

# Costs 125 energy.
    # Infested Terrans have the same stats as those previously created by the Infestor and are placed directly under the Overseer when spawned.

o Ultralisk

+ Life decreased from 600 to 450.
    + Damage changed from 25 to 15 (+25 Armored).
    + Damage versus structures increased from 60 to 75.

Hotkey Changes (English Only):

* Zerg Set Worker Rally Point changed from R to G.
    * Zerg Spore Crawler changed from W to A to avoid conflict with the Select All Warp Gates hotkey.

Battle.net Interface

* Revamped summary pages for player Profiles and Leagues & Ladders.
    * Added a Help system with tech trees and other tips and tricks.
    * Removed identifier from the character naming process and added the ability to refer friends for invitation into your party or lobby.
    * Updated the Battle.net user interface to consistently use a nested menu system.
    * Added in-game blocking and player muting.

Also to note; Beta is going offline on May 31st for a couple weeks for hardware upgrades and other things to get things ready for launch apparently. They will then start the "second phase" of the beta, maybe open?
  • ErlingErling July 2010
    Beta's back up for afkers.
  • NunesNunes July 2010
    I disapprove of facebook integration.

It may be enough for me to cancel my preorder... I'm a rebel like that.
  • ErlingErling July 2010
    "I hate optional features."
  • KPKP July 2010
    I just ordered a brand new laptop which will hopefully get here in a few weeks.

How do I get in on this?
  • NunesNunes July 2010
    QUOTE (Erling @ Jul 13 2010, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    "I hate optional features."

Battle.Net WILL be integrated with facebook. You don't need to link your RealID to your facebook, but the integration is there which means targeted ads.

But whatever, my feeling on the matter are based on ignorance and fear of change and not on the long series of effed up decisions Blizzard has made along the path to completing this game.
  • ErlingErling July 2010
    Make your Battle.net/Facebook email address' different if you're upset about it.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership