$4m USD of taxpayer money goes to the taliban EVERY WEEK
  • woerwoer June 2010
    LOL

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/asia/201...3151402507.html

well, "up to" $4m each week, but still:

According to a US military document, as much as $4m per week in US taxpayers' money could be ending up in the hands of the Taliban, via Afghan security firms who extort the money from transport contractors and then funnel the cash to the group.

Chris Grey, a spokesman for the Army Criminal Investigation Command, confirmed on Monday that an inquiry was under way, but said he would not provide details in order "to protect the integrity of the ongoing case".

The payments reportedly reach the Taliban through a $2.1bn Pentagon contract to transport food, water, fuel and ammunition to American troops stationed at bases across Afghanistan.

shit, give me $2m every week and i'll blow up any buildings you want me to
  • redboneredbone June 2010
    I'm the Cinderella Man
  • NunesNunes June 2010
    Crafty fuckers.

Big question upcoming:
    What are they doing with it?
  • NunesNunes June 2010
    Added goodness:

Apparently these private security firms are faking attacks on major throughways to inflate the cost of their services.

Light on details though... all of this. We are paying trucking companies to carry goods through Afghanistan and we're leaving security up to them. They are paying people to (likely) pay people to not shoot at us. It's more or less how the surge "worked". Pay them more than the other guys ever could.*

But I'm curious about the lack of US military support these convoys are getting. I'm not too keen on leaving security for the supplies that our troops need in the hands of pretty much anybody but our troops.

*Money: Cheaper and more effective than nukes.
  • EvestayEvestay June 2010
    Also in terms of money, why don't we just buy up the entire poppy supply the farmers produce and destroy it? Can't be worse than not fighting the growing and essentially forcing them to deal with the taliban for protection and selling.
  • b1llyb1lly July 2010
    QUOTE (Evestay @ Jun 22 2010, 10:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Also in terms of money, why don't we just buy up the entire poppy supply the farmers produce and destroy it? Can't be worse than not fighting the growing and essentially forcing them to deal with the taliban for protection and selling.

You're under the impression that our goal is to "win". The military industrial complex wants a prolonged war with no real mission so they can keep collecting money.
  • jkarate212jkarate212 July 2010
    Godddd bless Amerrrrricaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....lalala
  • NunesNunes July 2010
    QUOTE (Evestay @ Jun 22 2010, 10:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What do you think the odds are that the farmers who are paid in American dollars by Americans to advance the American agenda make it through a week in Taliban controlled Afghanistan?

That's a one-off sort of thing. We could buy some security for a few months, but after those farmers were all killed/tortured/de-limbed and replaced we'd be back to square one with an extreme increase in price as those farmers are now factoring in the costs of potential death.

I think we've tried stuff like that before over there, but I forget when/why... so you can feel free to ignore that part.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership