Keyboard?
  • GovernorGovernor June 2010
    Along with my new PC, I'd like to get a new keyboard. Hands down, the best keyboards I've ever owned have been MAC keyboards, but that isn't really an option for a PC. That being said, I would very much like to get a similar low-profile keyboard that can handle many buttons being held down at a time. I would _love_ it if the keyboard had USB slots like the MAC keyboards have as well. Beyond that, volume control, play/stop/forward/backward keys would be a bonus, but I could certainly live without them.

Does anyone have an idea as to where I should look for this? I've glanced through Amazon briefly, and I was surprised to see how terrible the keyboards were there.
  • woerwoer June 2010
    Unless you want some bell and/or whistle that isn't available on them, hands down the best PC keyboards are old IBMs. I don't mean the old clicky clacky IBM keyboards, though those are awesome, too.

Here's the one I use except mine doesn't have the two additional usb ports: http://cgi.ebay.com/IBM-US-English-Multime...=item20ae0f9d5d

From my thread "Don't do this." you can see it isn't cheaply made like most. You can press five keys at once with them all registering. The multimedia controls don't need any special drivers. The insert/delete/pgup/pgdn keys only take up one row so that it's not as wide as a normal keyboard (but otherwise it's standard), which is nice for if you have to fit your mousepad and keyboard on a small area. It even has page back/page forward keys for your browser (aligned with the arrow keys). Finally, it's <$20 for that listing not used. GL finding any keyboard near the quality at twice the price.

edit: that pic is bad, so the multimedia controls i will explain. in the top right corner is a circle with separate buttons for stop, play/pause, +vol, -vol, previous, and next (these control winamp while I play cs--and it does that without me having configured it that way). A little below it to the left is a separate button to mute everything. The colored buttons up top are eight configurable quick launch buttons.
  • jkarate212jkarate212 June 2010
    Hm..after reading that, now I'm actually really considering getting the same thing. My keyboard blows..
  • GovernorGovernor June 2010
    That does sound nice, but it is a higher priority for me to have a solid keyboard with USB slots than it is to have a keyboard that can stand up to heavy duty gaming.

I _think_ I'm going to go with this assuming I can confirm that it is wired:

SIIG JK-US0412-S1 USB Slim Aluminum Keyboard with Hub
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16823191007

Edit: Comparable PC components are usually cheaper than MAC components, but that is not the case with keyboards. This particular keyboard is the only keyboard I've found that is even comparable to the features and quality of the keyboards offered by Apple, and it is twice the price.
  • fratersangfratersang June 2010
    how much is a mac keyboard?

Also, you should check the "quick brown fox" thread and just take a tally to see what people have there, might give you an idea of whats popular, etc.

• GovernorGovernor July 2010
    $50ish.
  • LethaLLethaL July 2010
    this is the keyboard i use now which is a logitech access 600, it has no usb but it has everything else you want and its cheap

the one i was using before: O Degree Advance is has an usb port and it as all the options you want plus it is also cheap the gry color can be red and blue
  • b1llyb1lly July 2010
    QUOTE (z @ Jun 28 2010, 01:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Unless you want some bell and/or whistle that isn't available on them, hands down the best PC keyboards are old IBMs. I don't mean the old clicky clacky IBM keyboards, though those are awesome, too.

Agreed. Nothing beats the old M IBM keyboards.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership