In need of help
  • JonobonoJonobono January 2011
    Long story short, i moved out of my last apartment in November, and stored my computer away until now. In spite, my old roommate decided it would be HILARIOUS if she changed the password to log into the thing.

I've spoken with her many times and sadly she has forgotten what the password was changed to.

The specifics:
    Using windows 7, 64x
    No, i stupidly did not create an admin login
    No, i stupidly did not create a password recovery disk
    No, there are not other users of the computer
    - The scenario is this: Power up computer, let windows load, it then shows my name (Ben) and prompts me to enter the password. This is the part where I am stuck. In a cruel twist, she even changed the hint to: R U Mad?

Yes, i am fucking mad.

I've searched the internet a bit and have found many sites that claim their software can easily bypass it to allow me to again reset it. I've gone as far as emailing one of the companies asking for further information, and 7 days later, i've heard nothing. This would cost about $20. I've also read that Windows can remotely reset it for $80, but have conflicting reports saying that Windows will do no such thing.

I've found a site that seems to be free (albeit it hasn't been updated in over a year) but when I went to put the files on a flash drive and boot my computer from that drive, it informs me that no opperating system is found, which is probably something I'm doing wrong.

In conclusion, I would like to avoid reformatting as losing 80 gigs of music would be devastating. I will if I have to, but a portion of my soul will be wiped clean, similarly as the hard drive.

Any help in this issue would be greatly appreciated.

• dandan January 2011
    Does http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetr...assrecovery.htm help at all? A couple of the programs the list suggests seem like they should let you in to your computer.

Alternatively, you could always plug that hard drive into another pc and set it up as a slave to the main drive. That should let you copy your music onto another drive before reformatting that disk.

-dan
  • hexenwulfhexenwulf January 2011
    R U Mad

did you try LOL as the password? Because that is the only reference I have seen before that might match to the hint.
    Hex, i've sat in front of my computer for 3 hours at different times typing in words that come to mind. LOL was at the top of that list.

-Thanks Dan, i haven't seen that page yet, and just got done making the bootable disk with ophcrack. In an even stranger turn, i'm getting ready to boot my computer up with the disk and proceed to plug the keyboard and mouse in from my parents setup, only to find that they aren't USB, and are those plugins that haven't been used in YEARS. Not thinking i would need them, i left my USB keyboard and mouse in Boston. If there is a gaming god, they sure don't want me to have a running computer.
  • GovernorGovernor January 2011
    QUOTE (Jonobono @ Jan 15 2011, 02:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hex, i've sat in front of my computer for 3 hours at different times typing in words that come to mind. LOL was at the top of that list.

-Thanks Dan, i haven't seen that page yet, and just got done making the bootable disk with ophcrack. In an even stranger turn, i'm getting ready to boot my computer up with the disk and proceed to plug the keyboard and mouse in from my parents setup, only to find that they aren't USB, and are those plugins that haven't been used in YEARS. Not thinking i would need them, i left my USB keyboard and mouse in Boston. If there is a gaming god, they sure don't want me to have a running computer.

PS/2 plugs are still used today and are not at all uncommon. The brand new Intel i7 PC that I purchased a few months ago has a PS/2 port for each the keyboard and mouse.
    My folks computer is like 8 years old and i haven't had a motherboard that had those plugins in my past 2 machines. I understand the function, but could not be more frustrated with the issue as a whole. Honestly, i just can't think of a reason to make mouse and keyboards not USB. Same thing as that douchebag Phillip, who just had to make his own screw driver head... (I prefer phillips head over flat head any day)

Regardless, i'm headed to a friends house shortly to work on the issue. I'll let ya'll know how it goes.
    Sucess. Ophcrack was frustrating, the original download lacked several drivers (probably my fault in burning an .iso file), but in the end I managed to get it to work. Overall I'd recommend that program to anyone with the same issue, because once it did boot properly, it took about 2 minutes to scan the hardrive, and showed me the password in big bold letters. For those interested, she had changed it to "kidding." Kind of fitting of the whole situation if you ask me.

Thanks again Dan, and everyone else for the help.

• hexenwulfhexenwulf January 2011
    Awesome! Glad you were able to recover the password. Thanks for the info about Ophcrack, I get requests about recovering passwords on occasion.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership