Moving to reddit
  • GovernorGovernor June 2013
    Maintaining this forum is becoming a pain point for me. I don't mind the costs, but there are more and more spammers signing up each day (200 or so in the past 24 hours), and if I ignore them they will essentially make the forums unusable.

A long while ago I created the empty r/fdassault on reddit, and I'm thinking about boarding up these forums for good and redirecting all traffic there. All forum contents would be archived in a read-only state (browsable on the web and downloadable) and linked to from the subreddit sidebar.

Does anyone have any objections to this?

Edit: Also, is anyone interested in helping to moderate on the subreddit? There will still be spam coming through on occasion, and some legit posts my get hung up in the spam filters as well. I figure the more moderators the better.
  • mungomungo June 2013
    Sucks, but it is what it is. There's no plug-in to up the security on this vanilla board?

If we move, I'll be a moderator for sure. Pretty sure my username is mungoflago
    The spammers that get through the existing security stuff are real people. Unfortunately there isn't really anything we can do to stop them from signing up other than restricting sign ups to invite only or moderator-approval. The former doesn't make much sense for such a disjointed community and would prevent old regulars and such from posting, and the latter is tough when you have so many bogus signups each day.
  • AlfyAlfy June 2013
    Couldn't we just make the majority of us moderators that can approve new members? I still check the site at least once every other day, not sure on any others. Obviously it is your call there Court.
    706 "applicants" to this forum since I posted this 3 days ago. I don't think anyone on these forums has the patience to sort through that many accounts on a daily basis.
  • dandan June 2013
    I'm henrichd on reddit, and I spend far too much time there, if you need moderators.
  • JonobonoJonobono June 2013
    This thread makes me nostalgic in a sad way. It was indeed inevitable, but still an important part of my younger years.

I also spend hours a day reading reddit, so if you need more mods I'm still: Jonobono.
  • ErlingErling June 2013
    Sadface. Feel free to throw me on as a moderator, Zestfule.
  • carto0ncarto0n June 2013
    :(
  • mungomungo June 2013
    any possible way to link up membership through our facebook group? i'm assuming everyone has facebook, perhaps logging in solely through fb could remove the need for applicants entirely.
    The facebook group only has 8 members.
  • dandan June 2013
    There's a facebook group?

-dan
  • xemplarxemplar June 2013
    what's reddit?....
  • dandan June 2013
    11/10 would read again A+ troll.

-dan

p.s. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+reddit%3F

p.p.s. I've learned to never assume that you know anything at all. I'm hoping you were trolling, but in case not, there's the link.

p.p.p.s. How's your registry been lately?
  • PheylanPheylan June 2013
    I'd follow this where ever it goes. I can't offer much in the way of moderator support, my internet on deployment is iffy at best. But I'll still support this in which ever form it takes.

And yeah..there's a Facebook page?
  • BlackLightBlackLight August 2013
    there's a FB page?
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership