• monkmonk November 2007
    in your mouth
  • ErlingErling December 2007
    He does.
  • azn+mikeazn mike December 2007
    You all suck donkey balls.
  • waterxm04waterxm04 December 2007
    QUOTE (Jong @ Nov 28 2007, 10:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Most long term smokers use smoking to destress. Usually they've tried all other types of methods and seems that the only way they can cope with it is by smoking. By the time they want to quit, it's a lot harder for them to because of the fact that now their body is used to having nicotine and undergoes withdrawal when the body obtains deficient amounts of the chemical.

You try being addicted to something, something that you like and that helps you destresses you and stop all of a sudden just quit. It's hard for many people.

I know someone at 56 that smoked for 35 years quit cold turkey, however i should have made that point more clear, you're hooked because when you were younger you were oblivious to the damage that they would undoubtable cause, for someone to even think about their method of advertisment being wrong, makes me want to question their sanity.

It's as was said before directed to young adults and even teenagers that think it's cool. Not to the adults who are hooked and "can't" quit because it is "alot harder". The whole point of truth in my opinion is to keep this from happening to people ASAP, not try to save the ones that have already passed the SR point.
  • BillBill December 2007
    Allow me to point something out ... Unless you yourself are addicted to anything, which given your random self righteous bullshit, you yourself are not, you have no idea how hard it is to quit, anything. Good for that 56 year old, and believe me, I wish I could quick without literally losing all of my focus on schoolwork, despite gum, patch, or pill, because believe me I've tried them all... You see, here's the problem. We all have these things called personalities. And each "personality" is different. So you, one person can quit no problem after 35 years, and yet, inexplicably, there's some kid hooked after the first pack wo loses his shit if you deprive him of a smoke for 4 hours, and literally has a hard time functioning.

And no, I was never oblivious to the damage it caused. I was told from the time I was conscious, till my teens, till now... If you can't understand from a VERY young age that this shit is bad for you, you deserve whatever is coming... If you understand it, and accept it, then what the FUCK are truth adds going to do?

Anyway, I hope you're all enjoying trying to save humanity, or whatever the fuck you think you're doing that you all seem so confident in. To be honest, we have too many fucking people here already, and if it's the smokers who are going to die early and make it easier for the rest of the people to life comfortably, than so be it. Coming from a smoker, seriously. But I hope when you're getting older and having kids, you can at least display some level of logic better than this, and make them understand the concepts which you, in the larger scheme, seem to miss... Either way, at least explain to them better the concepts of capitalism, which you all failed to learn. In an economy, at least one pretending to be free market, a company does no fund adds directly in opposition to it's own interest. This is similar to how the poor shouldn't help fund a war that benefits only the rich. It doesn't work.

Anyway, despite my more than slightly slanted, drunken, and more than angry commentary, I hope you all die in a fire.

Yeah, even those of you who agree with me.

Fuck off.

Bill...

Yours truly.

Fuck yourselves
  • redboneredbone December 2007
    <3
  • BlueBoxBobBlueBoxBob December 2007
    QUOTE (Bill @ Dec 2 2007, 05:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    To be honest, we have too many fucking people here already, and if it's the smokers who are going to die early and make it easier for the rest of the people to life comfortably, than so be it.

Do you think you would say that if your father or a close person would die because of smoking ? My father smokes and I hate the fact and I keep telling him to stop because I don't want to fucking see him die any soon because of that stupid shit called cigarettes. If you really want to stop, choose a good moment and it will be possible. You might have problems with school at the same time you try but it's so fucking worth it for what it gives you after. Smoking is stupid.
  • JeddHamptonJeddHampton December 2007
    QUOTE (Bill @ Dec 2 2007, 05:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Allow me to point something out ... Unless you yourself are addicted to anything, which given your random self righteous bullshit, you yourself are not, you have no idea how hard it is to quit, anything. Good for that 56 year old, and believe me, I wish I could quick without literally losing all of my focus on schoolwork, despite gum, patch, or pill, because believe me I've tried them all... You see, here's the problem. We all have these things called personalities. And each "personality" is different. So you, one person can quit no problem after 35 years, and yet, inexplicably, there's some kid hooked after the first pack wo loses his shit if you deprive him of a smoke for 4 hours, and literally has a hard time functioning.
    Anyway, I hope you're all enjoying trying to save humanity, or whatever the fuck you think you're doing that you all seem so confident in. To be honest, we have too many fucking people here already, and if it's the smokers who are going to die early and make it easier for the rest of the people to life comfortably, than so be it. Coming from a smoker, seriously. But I hope when you're getting older and having kids, you can at least display some level of logic better than this, and make them understand the concepts which you, in the larger scheme, seem to miss... Either way, at least explain to them better the concepts of capitalism, which you all failed to learn. In an economy, at least one pretending to be free market, a company does no fund adds directly in opposition to it's own interest. This is similar to how the poor shouldn't help fund a war that benefits only the rich. It doesn't work.

Not everyone has a personality... [insert joke about lethal/dan/weed/etc. here]

Anyway, I think forcing the tobacco companies to run anti-smoking ads was a terrible idea to begin with. Bringing smoking up so often isn't going to help. Sure, learning that it's bad for you is important to prevent people from picking up the habit, but when I see every other commercial/billboard/magazine ad about smoking (good or bad), I'm seeing people smoke. If you want the public to not smoke, remove it from media completely.

If I never see anyone smoke, chances are I'm not going to start. I understand the flaw in that argument as well. I'm going to see other people smoking outside. When was the last time you thought someone looked cool smoking a cigarette? I know I laugh every time I see my roommate going outside when it's cold and wet and disgusting outside, just so he can get his nicotine fix. Face it. Cigarettes have lost all cool appeal. On the boardwalk, you have to get in a glass box just to smoke one. I find it more demeaning to people who do smoke.

Simply remove as much smoking propaganda as possible and less people will pick up the habit.

That's my two cents anyway, take it or leave it.
  • AnotherevilAnotherevil December 2007
    Has anyone seen the NYC Quit smoking ads? They are like Truth one's but better.
  • coffeecoffee December 2007
    QUOTE (Jedd @ Dec 2 2007, 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Not everyone has a personality... [insert joke about lethal/dan/weed/etc. here]

Anyway, I think forcing the tobacco companies to run anti-smoking ads was a terrible idea to begin with. Bringing smoking up so often isn't going to help. Sure, learning that it's bad for you is important to prevent people from picking up the habit, but when I see every other commercial/billboard/magazine ad about smoking (good or bad), I'm seeing people smoke. If you want the public to not smoke, remove it from media completely.

If I never see anyone smoke, chances are I'm not going to start. I understand the flaw in that argument as well. I'm going to see other people smoking outside. When was the last time you thought someone looked cool smoking a cigarette? I know I laugh every time I see my roommate going outside when it's cold and wet and disgusting outside, just so he can get his nicotine fix. Face it. Cigarettes have lost all cool appeal. On the boardwalk, you have to get in a glass box just to smoke one. I find it more demeaning to people who do smoke.

Simply remove as much smoking propaganda as possible and less people will pick up the habit.

That's my two cents anyway, take it or leave it.

have fun trying to remove it from cinema!

what you're suggesting is censorship. Maybe we should replace all guns with walkie talkies in movies and tv shows too since guns are also cool but dangerous
    QUOTE (coffee @ Dec 3 2007, 12:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    have fun trying to remove it from cinema!

what you're suggesting is censorship. Maybe we should replace all guns with walkie talkies in movies and tv shows too since guns are also cool but dangerous

Cigarettes can not advertise on TV, already. I'm not suggesting anything new. The fact that they put anti-smoking ads on is publicizing it anyways.

In movies, most people that smoke aren't the "good guys". I don't remember, but in the new Die Hard, did John McCain smoke once? I remember some good scenes in the first one where he was lighting up.

And I'm not for gun control.
    QUOTE (Jedd @ Dec 3 2007, 06:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Cigarettes can not advertise on TV, already. I'm not suggesting anything new. The fact that they put anti-smoking ads on is publicizing it anyways.

in your first post you said smoking references should be completely removed from public media, which equates to turning the other cheek and treating it like it doesn't exist, does it not? That's almost as bad as the people who wanted to ban 'passion of the christ'

In movies, most people that smoke aren't the "good guys". I don't remember, but in the new Die Hard, did John McCain smoke once? I remember some good scenes in the first one where he was lighting up.

poppycock. off the top of my head, of movies that even show smoking: pulp fiction, fear and loathing, requiem for a dream, fight club, chasing amy. All have the "good guys"(protagonists, anti-heroes, etc) firing up a smoke. Even earlier seasons of the simpsons show kick ass characters like krusty the klown eating tar. my point here is that while the media certainly can have some effect on your actions, people pick up smoking because of influences in their real lives like their parents or their friends, not because they see a 20 foot tyler durden smoking on the big screen. and the ones that do are fucking cunts!

And I'm not for gun control.

never said you were, it was an ET joke =]
    QUOTE (coffee @ Dec 3 2007, 11:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    in your first post you said smoking references should be completely removed from public media, which equates to turning the other cheek and treating it like it doesn't exist, does it not? That's almost as bad as the people who wanted to ban 'passion of the christ'

Is it really such a bad idea? I've had enough anti-smoking propaganda from school alone to teach me that smoking was bad. I knew since elementary school that smoking had bad health effects. If I never saw anyone smoking on TV or movies, I'd never have the idea to smoke to begin with.

I'm not trying to say that ignoring it will make the problem go away. What I am saying is that taking it out of the publics eye will help prevent more people from thinking about it. Teens are the age group that pick up smoking. I read an article (that I can't seem to find) about how teens think more about the decisions that they make than adults do. The reason teens make bad decisions is that they usually decide that instant gratification is more important than the future consequences. Why tempt the teens with an offer?

QUOTE (coffee @ Dec 3 2007, 11:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    poppycock. off the top of my head, of movies that even show smoking: pulp fiction, fear and loathing, requiem for a dream, fight club, chasing amy. All have the "good guys"(protagonists, anti-heroes, etc) firing up a smoke. Even earlier seasons of the simpsons show kick ass characters like krusty the klown eating tar. my point here is that while the media certainly can have some effect on your actions, people pick up smoking because of influences in their real lives like their parents or their friends, not because they see a 20 foot tyler durden smoking on the big screen. and the ones that do are fucking cunts!

never said you were, it was an ET joke =]

I used "good guys" to portray a true hero. I'm not looking for the anti-hero Vincent Vega. Tyler Durden was insane and when he wasn't he didn't smoke... coincidence? If you watch the Simpsons, you know that anytime Krusty lights up, he goes from being the fun kid's idol into a human flawed person. The cigarettes are there to show that he is flawed, imperfect, and NOT a role model.

I agree that peer pressure is the number one influence, but I think that taxing the hell out of them is starting to slow that one down. But the influential people are following the role that was created through the media by characters like the Fonz. The cool guy who looks cooler by smoking.
  • TrueBelieverTrueBeliever December 2007
    QUOTE (Jedd @ Dec 3 2007, 09:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    If I never saw anyone smoking on TV or movies, I'd never have the idea to smoke to begin with.

Bullshit. Maybe not you, but others are more influenced by other things. Most people start smoking not because of TV and movies, but because of peer pressure. I believe these commercials and magazine ads (I read tons of comics) are very creative and catches peoples attention more than any school lesson can teach you.
    QUOTE (True Believer @ Dec 3 2007, 09:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Bullshit. Maybe not you, but others are more influenced by other things. Most people start smoking not because of TV and movies, but because of peer pressure. I believe these commercials and magazine ads (I read tons of comics) are very creative and catches peoples attention more than any school lesson can teach you.

And there are no TV commercials for cigarettes. As I mentioned earlier, it is illegal for tobacco to be advertised (directly) on television or in movies. So, that leaves billboards and magazine ads. I'm sure that some magazine ads are very persuasive, but the size of the audience that those ads reach is not near that of TV viewers. I'm even confused as to why I'm arguing this point. My argument was to try and take tobacco out of public view completely.

Did you read the whole post? You seemed to take out that one line (out of context) and argue that. Here, I'll restate some things.

I'm not trying to say that ignoring it will make the problem go away. What I am saying is that taking it out of the publics eye will help prevent more people from thinking about it. Teens are the age group that pick up smoking. I read an article (that I can't seem to find) about how teens think more about the decisions that they make than adults do. The reason teens make bad decisions is that they usually decide that instant gratification is more important than the future consequences. Why tempt the teens with an offer?

I agree that peer pressure is the number one influence, but I think that taxing the hell out of them is starting to slow that one down. But the influential people are following the role that was created through the media by characters like the Fonz. The cool guy who looks cooler by smoking.

If I never see anyone smoke, chances are I'm not going to start. I understand the flaw in that argument as well. I'm going to see other people smoking outside. When was the last time you thought someone looked cool smoking a cigarette? I know I laugh every time I see my roommate going outside when it's cold and wet and disgusting outside, just so he can get his nicotine fix. Face it. Cigarettes have lost all cool appeal. On the boardwalk, you have to get in a glass box just to smoke one. I find it demeaning to people who do smoke.

• cutchinscutchins December 2007
    cigarettes have not lost all "cool" appeal. you've just grown the fuck up. maybe they never looked cool to you at all. you're trying to say that because you think it looks stupid that everyone must. you're a grown man, obviously your mental faculties are slightly better developed to decide when a habit is not a good idea to pick up than say a 16 year old who sees johnny depp smoking a cig in every poster he's on.

your room mate didn't start smoking heavily until like 2 years ago or something like that, correct? at least i never saw him smoking until all of a sudden at one of the later lanbq's he was doing it. that is evidence enough that there must have been some type of coolness factor associated with it, even for someone who was at least 20 years old at the time.
  • 0%3Duid%28root%290=uid(root) December 2007
    you should be able to smoke everywhere.

department stores + movie theaters.
    QUOTE (CJ. @ Dec 3 2007, 10:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    cigarettes have not lost all "cool" appeal. you've just grown the fuck up. maybe they never looked cool to you at all. you're trying to say that because you think it looks stupid that everyone must. you're a grown man, obviously your mental faculties are slightly better developed to decide when a habit is not a good idea to pick up than say a 16 year old who sees johnny depp smoking a cig in every poster he's on.

your room mate didn't start smoking heavily until like 2 years ago or something like that, correct? at least i never saw him smoking until all of a sudden at one of the later lanbq's he was doing it. that is evidence enough that there must have been some type of coolness factor associated with it, even for someone who was at least 20 years old at the time.

It's true that they never really did appeal to me. And Kevin is just retarded that is why he picked up smoking.

But again, you are supporting part of my point. My point was to take cigarettes out of public view. Let's not have Johnny Depp smoking cigarettes on posters, eh?
  • 0%3Duid%28root%290=uid(root) December 2007
    sorry jedd but i can't agree with you.

censoring media is the first step towards the government having a real grasp on the media. as if it's not bad already.

this is the land of the FREE [supposedly] and every day, my freedoms are being trimmed at the expensive of the governments approach to americans being so dumb they can't do anything on their own.

it's your choice to start smoking, and if it's because of advertising that's gotten you smoking, you're simple minded.
    QUOTE (Jedd @ Dec 3 2007, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Is it really such a bad idea? I've had enough anti-smoking propaganda from school alone to teach me that smoking was bad.

fuck yeah it is! apparently all that school-subjected anti-smoke propaganda worked for you, and now you want to get rid of it?

imagine if i told you there was a new video game called 'nicotine hero'. it's hella fun and its supposed to be adults only but i scored a copy. doesn't that make you want to play if you're 13? if kids have absolutely no idea that cigarettes are harmful to your health there's actually more of a chance they'll try it.

I used "good guys" to portray a true hero. I'm not looking for the anti-hero Vincent Vega. Tyler Durden was insane and when he wasn't he didn't smoke... coincidence? If you watch the Simpsons, you know that anytime Krusty lights up, he goes from being the fun kid's idol into a human flawed person. The cigarettes are there to show that he is flawed, imperfect, and NOT a role model.

okay, let's say hypothetically in the next superman movie, there's a scene with supe smoking because there was something about $10 million in cash that brian singer couldn't ignore. and superman only does it because lex luthor bet him he couldn't continually smoke while running and winning the boston marathon. now imagine you're some 15 year old kid (knock your IQ down 30 points). would you seriously think a dude who wears a red speedo outside his blue tights is cooler than the ultra-suave vince vega, even disregarding the hypotheticals? is there any question that marv (sin city) is more awesome than any of toby mcguire's spider-men characters?

and thank you for saying that bit about krusty, as it is the entire point you've failed to catch. Humans are so flawed its retarded, and some of those flaws include addiction and a tendency to be easily swayed. but to combat those deficiencies we have the ability to make logical and rational decisions about certain stimuli on a higher level than other organisms. however we, especially the next generation of kids growing up, can only do this with enough information, which strangely is what you want censored.
  • redboneredbone December 2007
    +1 Natural Selection option.
  • GovernorGovernor December 2007
    I think removing tobacco from media is a horrible idea. That's just as bad as all of those idiot Christians that think people won't have sex before marriage if the 'gosh-darn' media would stop talking about it.

Less people are smoking now than ever before. As someone who grew up with two smoking parents, I can safely say that I most certainly would be a smoker myself it weren't for the 'anti-smoking propaganda' that I saw/heard in school throughout my entire life. Talking about smoking is the absolute best way to ensure that children really understand the risks and make the right choices.

I still don't understand this whole topic...are people seriously trying to argue that smoking isn't as awful as it is made out to be? I can't be the only person that has seen the real and horrible effects that smoking has on people as they age. It makes you ugly, it makes you smell, and it makes you die. The truth campaign simply does nothing wrong... They speak about facts that show how horrible cigarettes are. That is nothing like anti-drug ads in the past (and present) that made up information in order to scare people into hating drugs. The whole point of the Truth movement is that you don't have to make up information to show how awful cigarettes can be. They don't claim that cigarettes are the bane of modern society and that by not using them our society will somehow be so much better off, they just reiterate that smoking will kill you, and the companies that invest in the tobacco industry don't care because it is making them filthy rich. What is the problem?
  • romerashromerash December 2007
    QUOTE (Governor @ Dec 4 2007, 01:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I think removing tobacco from media is a horrible idea. That's just as bad as all of those idiot Christians that think people won't have sex before marriage if the 'gosh-darn' media would stop talking about it.

Less people are smoking now than ever before. As someone who grew up with two smoking parents, I can safely say that I most certainly would be a smoker myself it weren't for the 'anti-smoking propaganda' that I saw/heard in school throughout my entire life. Talking about smoking is the absolute best way to ensure that children really understand the risks and make the right choices.

I still don't understand this whole topic...are people seriously trying to argue that smoking isn't as awful as it is made out to be? I can't be the only person that has seen the real and horrible effects that smoking has on people as they age. It makes you ugly, it makes you smell, and it makes you die. The truth campaign simply does nothing wrong... They speak about facts that show how horrible cigarettes are. That is nothing like anti-drug ads in the past (and present) that made up information in order to scare people into hating drugs. The whole point of the Truth movement is that you don't have to make up information to show how awful cigarettes can be. They don't claim that cigarettes are the bane of modern society and that by not using them our society will somehow be so much better off, they just reiterate that smoking will kill you, and the companies that invest in the tobacco industry don't care because it is making them filthy rich. What is the problem?

problem is, many people have:
    1) weak personality and dont want to stop smoking
    2) Don't want others to remind them of smoking problems
    3) Live in the "now"

If any of you played competitive sports you'd know the HUGE effect of smoking on that and not smoke in the first place
  • GovernorGovernor December 2007
    That's a shame for those people, but that doesn't change the fact that there are a lot of people out there that are affected by information about the risks of smoking. I don't need to hear about anti-depressants, but I understand that there are some people that do, so I don't flip a shit when I see a commercial advertising for them.
    those are specific individual problems, romer. if we had to cater to every dipshit who couldn't cope with the ills of the world, i wouldn't be able to walk outside without putting on a helmet and proper padding.
  • romerashromerash December 2007
    These are the problems of smokers who do not want to stop, not every human being out there
    QUOTE (coffee @ Dec 4 2007, 11:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    fuck yeah it is! apparently all that school-subjected anti-smoke propaganda worked for you, and now you want to get rid of it?

imagine if i told you there was a new video game called 'nicotine hero'. it's hella fun and its supposed to be adults only but i scored a copy. doesn't that make you want to play if you're 13? if kids have absolutely no idea that cigarettes are harmful to your health there's actually more of a chance they'll try it.

I did pick up on the South Park reference... and I like it.

I see, good point. The school propaganda did work on me (and the first time around... I hated those assemblies... every year). Maybe I'll just limit myself to media. Fair enough.

okay, let's say hypothetically in the next superman movie, there's a scene with supe smoking because there was something about $10 million in cash that brian singer couldn't ignore. and superman only does it because lex luthor bet him he couldn't continually smoke while running and winning the boston marathon. now imagine you're some 15 year old kid (knock your IQ down 30 points). would you seriously think a dude who wears a red speedo outside his blue tights is cooler than the ultra-suave vince vega, even disregarding the hypotheticals? is there any question that marv (sin city) is more awesome than any of toby mcguire's spider-men characters?

and thank you for saying that bit about krusty, as it is the entire point you've failed to catch. Humans are so flawed its retarded, and some of those flaws include addiction and a tendency to be easily swayed. but to combat those deficiencies we have the ability to make logical and rational decisions about certain stimuli on a higher level than other organisms. however we, especially the next generation of kids growing up, can only do this with enough information, which strangely is what you want censored.

Ok. I can see where your original movie point is valid. I do love to watch movies and I love to analyze them. I have an easier time seeing why a character does what it does than the 15 year old with an about average IQ. And I do love Marv as a character, he was my favorite character from Sin City.

The next generation growing up shouldn't have to rely on Television commercials to tell them that smoking is bad. Since when did television become the educator of children? I find that a horrendous thought. I enjoy television, but would never trust it to teach anyone a valuable lesson.

I don't definitely don't think it's as bad as saying removing sex from media would stop teens from having sex. There is a physical drive/need to have sex. There isn't such a thing to pick up a smoking habit.

Anyhow to the real point. Talking about smoking is the best way to get children to understand how bad smoking can be. Talking about anything to children is the best way to help them make good choices. T.V. isn't the way to do it. The adults in the children's lives should be the ones teaching them, not TV.
  • monkmonk December 2007
    my freedoms are being trimmed at the expensive of the governments approach to americans being so dumb they can't do anything on their own.

Good social theory, its our society these days in a wrap.
    a GYRO WRAP CAUSE ITS SO GOOD, AND ADDICTION IS SERIOUS. im not fucking with you on that, gyros can be that good
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership