Back to the roadblock issue
  • EvestayEvestay September 2008
    A possible solution? http://patdollard.com/2008/09/report-marin...-laser-weapons/ There are lasers that temporarily blind enemies and pointing them at incoming vehicles could work pretty well!
  • GovernorGovernor September 2008
    Well...it sure beats the alternative. I doubt there are any third-party, impartial studies of this technology to really get an idea of their long-term effects, though.
  • NunesNunes September 2008
    QUOTE (Governor @ Sep 23 2008, 03:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Well...it sure beats the alternative. I doubt there are any third-party, impartial studies of this technology to really get an idea of their long-term effects, though.

Longterm effects of roadblock solutions:
    Bullets: death.
    Lasers: Unknown

sounds like an easy pick to me. image/tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />
  • JeddHamptonJeddHampton September 2008
    QUOTE (ANunes @ Sep 23 2008, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Longterm effects of roadblock solutions:
    Bullets: death.
    Lasers: Unknown

sounds like an easy pick to me. image/tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Sounds like the argument put forth for tasers. Boy am I glad we have those tasers. They are so humane.
  • Black+BalloonBlack Balloon September 2008
    Fuck yeah lasers. More pew pew less OH MY GOD I'VE BEEN FUCKING SHOT.
  • GovernorGovernor September 2008
    QUOTE (Jedd @ Sep 23 2008, 03:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Sounds like the argument put forth for tasers. Boy am I glad we have those tasers. They are so humane.

It's a slightly different scenario, though. The problem with tasers isn't the fact that they exist. The taser is really an awesome tool that could be used with great efficiency and success by police; the problem stems from the very little and lack of training that police get when it comes to their proper use. I think we can all agree that our armed forces are some of the best equipped and trained units the world has ever seen, so I am much more comfortable with them having access to a weapon like this than I am the man in blue who likes to pick on teenagers who are out late at night.
  • JeddHamptonJeddHampton September 2008
    QUOTE (Governor @ Sep 23 2008, 04:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    It's a slightly different scenario, though. The problem with tasers isn't the fact that they exist. The taser is really an awesome tool that could be used with great efficiency and success by police; the problem stems from the very little and lack of training that police get when it comes to their proper use. I think we can all agree that our armed forces are some of the best equipped and trained units the world has ever seen, so I am much more comfortable with them having access to a weapon like this than I am the man in blue who likes to pick on teenagers who are out late at night.

I concede to this point. As long as it isn't going to be issued (and misused) by the people who are supposed to protect and serve the citizens, I'm fine.
  • NunesNunes September 2008
    Also before tasers were introduced I don't think the police were overusing their guns. They were introduced as a way to deal with situations that couldn't be handled by a gun and a badge. Well he's not so dangerous that I have to shoot him, but he's definitely not going to listen to me - sort of things-. What ended up happening is police got to realizing that these nifty tools were damn near impossible to get in trouble for using, and they got overly comfortable with the idea of using them as a cure all to any sort of resistance to their authority.

If this gets used specifically to deter innocent people from committing accidental suicide on our armed forces... and not to blind Iraqi children... then this is surely a good thing.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership