Sea Isle Lan - June 2009
  • GovernorGovernor April 2009
    I figured I would centralize the event information in one place.

Price: $25 gaming / $10 non-gaming (paypal to [email protected])
    Date: June 4th - June 7th (thu - sun)
    Remaining computer spots: 0
    Remaining total spots: 0

Confirmed:
    1. Phil
    2. Court
    3. Bill
    4. Chuck
    5. Tom (ebola)*
    6. Dan
    7. CJ
    8. Jong
    9. Erling
    11. Andrew
    12. Ben
    13. James
    14. Jedd
    15. Xavier*
    16. Pete
    17. Nick
    18. Brian
    19. Amber
    20. Tom (kp)*
    21. Kurt
    22. Marisa*

Alright, we're about two weeks away, so it is time to iron out some final details.

The House

Unlike the house in Lancaster, there is absolutely no chance of coming early or leaving late.

I will be arriving in Sea Isle sometime in early to mid afternoon on Thursday. Before I or Phil gets there, the house will be locked, so if you do plan on arriving early, be ready to go chill on the beach for awhile. However, keep in mind that beach tags are required at New Jersey beaches (which cost money). The house does come with a bunch of beach tags, but if it is locked, you are on your own.

I will be leaving the house sometime in the late afternoon to early evening on Sunday, and everyone must be out of the house by then. I'm going to be locking the doors behind me.

The Tables

The tables are not wood and their surface isn't ideal for optical mice, so bring a mouse pad. Cat5 will not be supplied, so bring your own cat5. If you are unsure whether you will need something, bring it anyway. Worst case scenario, you leave it in your car. If it is valuable and you are a pussy, we can find a more secure place in the house to store it for you.

Food

There will be zero food provided. There is a supermarket and restaurants within walking distance. There are two full kitchens in the house, so feel free to bring food to cook. Bring supplies to clean up after yourself!

Drink

New Jersey water tastes worse than vomiting after mexican night at the hole-in-the-wall bar down the street, however you can survive on it. It will be the only beverage that you can get for free. If you are adverse to bringing your own, there is a nearby supermarket and a beer/liquor store within walking distance.

Everything else

Hopefully someone will bring cards, plastic cups, and/or ping pong balls. If you get out of hand and start breaking shit, you will be ejected [physically] from the house, and jersey cops will fine you for sleeping in your car. Bring your towels and bathing suits; I've been told you can actually squeeze into the crowds on the beach, and that you may even be able to feel the water. If you smell, you will be forced to shower. There are five of them in the house, and you are highly encouraged to use them.

If you do not have someone's cell that will be at the event, get it.

I'll continue to update this post as the info changes, and I'll post a reply announcing the change. I'll also probably be posting some general info/inquiries in this thread as well.
  • BrianBrian April 2009
    10 hour drive. That's a negative.
    10 hours is nothing! Tom can drive that long in his sleep. No seriously, he has.
  • NunesNunes April 2009
  • ErlingErling April 2009
    Our drive is 7ish, wtf is wrong with 10?!
  • dandan April 2009
    QUOTE (Erling @ Apr 2 2009, 09:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Our drive is 7ish, wtf is wrong with 10?!

I bet you cancel again last minute, Erling. You New Hampshirians can't be trusted.

-dan
  • jimmah7jimmah7 April 2009
    um that was me that canceled last minute
  • dandan April 2009
    Jong bailed on us too. Basically, you three always have some excuse ready to go, to avoid hanging out with us.

-dan
  • ebolaebola April 2009
    drive 16 hours from memphis to lancaster from 8am to 11pm. proceed to set up computer and start drinking and gaming after court asks, "what the fuck took you so long?"
  • BrianBrian April 2009
    Well.... june 4-7 IS a while away... I'll see what I can do.
  • cutchinscutchins April 2009
    QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 2 2009, 10:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Well.... june 4-7 IS a while away... I'll see what I can do.

rofl, peer pressure ftw.
    Well played guys!
  • JonobonoJonobono April 2009
    So xavier is now a confirmed guest? I'll be singing show toons all day tomorrow.
  • MeatonMeaton April 2009
    lol nice image/smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
    Update

Alright, I think the list, as it stands now, is going to be unchanged for the next couple of weeks. Generally speaking, the people that are still "tentative" won't be able to give a definite confirmation for a little while. I do, however, need to get final notice at some point because I have to purchase the tables in advance.

For that reason, the current deadline for giving me a definite confirmation is May 4th. The entry fee will be expected soon after.

There will be an entry fee for this LAN event to help subsidize the cost of tables (we should be able to scrounge up enough chairs). Unfortunately, I'm not entirely sure what this fee will be until I get a more accurate headcount, so the exact amount will probably not be posted until the confirmation deadline or at least until those that are tentative can give me a little bit more insight into their likelihood of attendance. At the moment, it looks like the fee will be between $15 and $20.

Unlike in past, official LanBQs, food and drink will not be provided. From our previous experiences at this venue, people tend to go out to eat or spend a lot of time in smaller groups on the beach and such, so a centralized meal schedule isn't really ideal. There is a grocery store, a liquor/beer store, and some restaurants in walking distance of the house. There are also a lot more restaurants only a short drive down the road in either direction.

I am currently looking into a variety of options for the chairs and tables. As some of you may know, the old tables/chairs were scrapped and/or pawned off depending on their physical state when the remaining Lancaster crew moved out of their college residences. A lot of the chairs that were still in decent shape can probably be borrowed back for this event, and there should be enough kitchen chairs at the place to make up for any leftover spots. However, the tables were in much worse shape than the chairs, and only a couple remain. Plus, there is no convenient [or cheap] way to transport that amount of heavy, wooden, 8' tables any great distance.

Consequently, I'll be purchasing new tables for this event; this is one of the reasons why I've been asking all of those who plan to attend what kind of computers/monitors they were bringing. I'm currently looking at tables that can fold in half, so they can be transported in a normal car as well as stored appropriately in a small house or apartment. The downside to this convenience is that the tables will probably be six feet instead of eight and a bit more expensive. A six foot table only fits 2 people whereas an eight foot table could fit 3 (you math folk should be able to see the loss here), so the price of the table per person it serves is higher. However, at 3 feet a person, everyone will have a lot more space than they were used to in previous FD lans as well -- at best we had 2.6' of space before, and at worst we had 2.3' of space before.

I'm willing to eat some of the cost toward the tables to help keep the entry fee of this event down if people are still interested in lanning in the future.
    Is there a Mcdonald's or Taco Bell nearby?
    After a quick look at google maps, I do not believe so. It would require a drive.
    QUOTE (Governor @ Apr 3 2009, 12:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    After a quick look at google maps, I do not believe so. It would require a drive.

fuck. any fast food at all within walking distance? god, i love fast food so much. i guess the grocery store would have cheap food, but any other cheap eats around?
    There's a pizza joint nearby with pretty decent wings, and I know we've ordered sandwiches from some place delivery before that was decent.

There are no chain fast-food joints that I'm aware of, though.
    QUOTE (Governor @ Apr 3 2009, 12:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    There's a pizza joint nearby with pretty decent wings, and I know we've ordered sandwiches from some place delivery before that was decent.

There are no chain fast-food joints that I'm aware of, though.

is sea isle actually hell? because that's ridic. w/e that's fine, i'll have to resume clogging my arteries after the lanbq.
    Sea Isle is a vacation spot -- 2/3 of the year no one lives there. A chain restaurant would have a lot of trouble making money in that scenario.

I think it is wonderful that it doesn't have a fast food place image/tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />
  • KPKP April 2009
    QUOTE (CJ. @ Apr 3 2009, 12:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    is sea isle actually hell? because that's ridic. w/e that's fine, i'll have to resume clogging my arteries after the lanbq.

People generally don't go to the beach to eat Taco Bell or McDonalds, and since its empty 3/4 of the year probably nice the best franchise place.

Good seafood around tho!
    blah blah blah. anywhere there is a human being there should be at least 1 mcdonald's within 100 feet.
    I agree with CJ. Court, have you talked to Nick?
  • dandan April 2009
    QUOTE (Governor @ Apr 3 2009, 12:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    There's a pizza joint nearby with pretty decent wings

I remember ordering a lot of wings, and then not eating most of them. Best decision we've ever made.

-dan
  • azn+mikeazn mike April 2009
    BTW NICK!Q!!!
    Nick is, and has always been on the tentative list.
  • As for food, I hope no one forgot about Welshies. Mmmmm...
  • carto0ncarto0n April 2009
    well hello gents. i will let you know court asap if i am able to make it.
    Requested off from work today for the lanbq. It's really happening!
  • TrueBelieverTrueBeliever April 2009
    I would go but I have a show the next week (need a gym and good diet)
  • PhilPhil April 2009
    QUOTE (True Believer @ Apr 6 2009, 05:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I would go but I have a show the next week (need a gym and good diet)

There is absolutely no reason that having a BB show the next week should prevent you from attending. While i cannot guarantee you will get 12 flawless hours of sleep, you will be able to purchase prepare and eat perfectly good food. And I can put you through a workout that will complement your cutting cycle.
  • TrueBelieverTrueBeliever April 2009
    I need a gym! If I don't have one, I will be using people's computers as weights... and I don't think people will like that. Plus by that time I will be grumpy and not want anything to do with anyone because of my diet (I should be under 5% bf at that time)
    I just wanted to let everyone know that the place will only support 19 computers. We already have 15 confirmed people, and we have a good deal more than 4 sitting as "tentative."

If you are not confirmed but know you can attend, send me a private message ASAP. You can message me here, on facebook, or on aim. Please include with your confirmation a short description of the computer you will be bringing (e.g. mid-tower, 20" LCD).
  • fratersangfratersang April 2009
    Anyone wanna pick me up in Kalamazoo, MI? image/ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> So close to Chicago its scarrryyy.

• BlackLightBlackLight April 2009
    What're the chances of subsidizing a L.A.-Newark airline flight? image/ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />
    QUOTE (BlackLight @ Apr 7 2009, 05:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    What're the chances of subsidizing a L.A.-Newark airline flight? image/ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

None.
  • JeddHamptonJeddHampton April 2009
    QUOTE (BlackLight @ Apr 7 2009, 05:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you do make the trip, I'll pick you up.
    I just remembered I can't drive in NY State. Jimmy can you drive stick?
  • azn+mikeazn mike April 2009
    Yeahhhh that's going to be a problem image/tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />
    no i cannot but would be willing to donate my minivan to the cause
    Ballin. Is it in better shape than my Taurus was?
    well i just drove to and from florida 6 months ago so it should probably make it to NJ. why the hell can't you drive in NY?
    Remember that ticket I got on the way back from down there that one time? When I paid it they sent me a notice that I had 6 points on my license in NY and thus owed them 300 dollars as a penalty. Guess who didn't pay themmmm? image/wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />
    wow.
    I added Pete to confirmed. That means there are only two computer spots left.
    Court, you don't happen to have a spare POS screen I just can borrow while I'm down there do ya'? Steal a work one or something? image/wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />
    I honestly don't anymore. Sorry. And we only have 24" imacs at work.

I'm sure someone has one laying around, though.
  • dandan April 2009
    I suppose I could bring my 19" lcd, if I have to.

-dan
  • BrianBrian April 2009
    I've got an old CRT I can bring you, erling. rofl.

Add me to confirmed.

I have a laptop, so that might still leave 2 pc spots open if needed. Sure, I'd like to bring my 22" and set it up on that though image/tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />
    Awesome! You can bring your 22" if you want. Worst case scenario, we see that it is too heavy and you don't use it.

1 computer spot remaining
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership