Fantasy Football 2010!
  • mungomungo August 2010
    QUOTE (Andrew @ Aug 27 2010, 10:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Fucking dowit.

Get your boards ready, fools. I just don't want to be drafting til midnight before going into work. Work sucks enough as it is without being tired.

Remove the sand from your vagina and make me a sandwich
  • BlackLightBlackLight August 2010
    New draft time: Wed Sep 1 6:30pm PDT

it's not changing
  • NunesNunes August 2010
    QUOTE (Magic @ Aug 9 2010, 06:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    There's no recapping or anything in this league...

For those who are able to participate in the draft, you just sign-in at the time of the draft and click on the player you want when your turn comes up. Wait a few minutes for your turn to come up again and repeat. There's a history bar on the right so people can see what has happened if they need to. I think you get a maximum of 3 minutes for each turn??

For those who can't participate in the draft, Yahoo will auto-pick for you based on how you have players ranked. You may think that's a crappy way to draft, but the auto-pick usually results in a very balanced team from what I remember in the past.

Let's see. 9:30 PM, 3 minutes per pick, 14 teams, 17 rounds...

At least we can guarantee the draft will be over before I go to work... Oh... wait...

11 hours 54 minutes...

Awesome... Thanks for the assurance that this is a reasonable time to hold a draft on a weekday.

Move it to a weekend. We are having it at this time to suit one person. I find it difficult to believe that nobody else has to work the next morning and would rather it be at least an hour earlier even if it means moving days...

But maybe I'm wrong, in which case I'm out.
  • NunesNunes August 2010
    QUOTE (mungo @ Aug 27 2010, 01:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

mungo, earlier:

"Can it not be Thursday? How about Wednesday?"

I didn't realize I was the only one who had a request. I happened to think it was fairly reasonable. Everyone else has this goofy shit. I can do it any day at all so long as it's 8 or earlier. I don't see how that's particularly sandy-vagina'd of me. Dicks.
  • BillBill August 2010
    I agree... I have to wake up at retarded O'Clock the following morning... I'm ok with 8, or even 8:30, but you're really fucking everyone who has to work in the morning by making it any later than that. It's not unusual for a draft to take 3 hours, and going to bed at 1am and waking up at 5:30 am will be just annoying enough that I won't do it.

Bill
    Every draft I've been in has taken an hour at most. However, I am open to a weekend time. Let me know what's a good time on a weekend.
  • BillBill August 2010
    The only time that's bad for me is 5pm on sunday, I have another draft then.

• NunesNunes August 2010
    QUOTE (BlackLight @ Aug 29 2010, 03:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Every draft I've been in has taken an hour at most. However, I am open to a weekend time. Let me know what's a good time on a weekend.

You're either confused, lying or have never been in a draft with over 10 teams.
  • NunesNunes August 2010
    And Saturday *anytime* works. Sunday I have another draft in the evening.
    More specifically, any single day except 9/7 (another draft) I can do it no problems if it's before 8:30. Weekends can be whatever, though I'm still not keen on starting any later than 10:00.

Maybe y'all draft absurdly fast, but all of my drafts have taken at least an hour and a half, and in leagues of >12 teams that bumps way up really quickly. 14 teams, 17 rounds = 238 picks. For that to take less than an hour, every pick would have to occur in less than 15 seconds.

I'm not that optimistic.
    i'm going to pick a time on saturday

and that time is 2:30 EST
  • PheylanPheylan August 2010
    Why would you do it in the middle of the afternoon on a Saturday on Labor Day weekend? That makes less sense then anything done so far. I'll be at a wedding. I would like to thing that other people will be busy too.
    Oh my god. I don't care when the draft is, if you have a time put it up here and tell me. People said weekend was better, fact is not everyone is going to be able to make it when there's 14 of us.
    It's fine any day of the week during the week. Any time. Just not Labor Day weekend.

I think I've been fine with every time posted so far. Except for the holiday weekend.
  • xemplarxemplar August 2010
    I honestly don't care when it is...If I don't make it, I will just have it auto-pick for me.
  • NunesNunes August 2010
    QUOTE (Pheylan @ Aug 29 2010, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Why would you do it in the middle of the afternoon on a Saturday on Labor Day weekend? That makes less sense then anything done so far. I'll be at a wedding. I would like to thing that other people will be busy too.

I suspected the new time would lead to something like this. Are you going to be back around a computer later that night. I can stay up considerably later on Saturday since I don't have work the next day. Friday would also be fine, any time, all day for me.

• mungomungo August 2010
    I will not be around a computer labor day weekend.
    how do people feel about sometime friday
  • MagicMagic August 2010
    QUOTE (mungo @ Aug 27 2010, 12:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

+1

I haven't seen this much crying from Andrew since Bush was in office.

Like many have said, I've been fine with every time slot that has been posted (and then changed)...but would like to just settle on something instead of having to keep shifting plans around because some twit on the East coast goes to sleep earlier then my grandma.

Yes, there are 238 picks, but for those who can't make it (usually half in years past?) Yahoo will auto-draft that individual's next highest player. That means well over 100 selections should take a second (or less) for the computer to select. Usually the people signed on know who they're going to select as well, meaning the full 3 minutes rarely gets used -- in years past it has taken about an hour to get through a draft.

I posted my schedule and am still fine with whatever day and time we end up with. I'll try (and want) to make it, but if you land on a time that doesn't work then I'm cool with Yahoo auto-picking for me. Like I said above, it would be nice to just settle on a time so I can figure out if/how to fit a draft into my schedule.
  • NunesNunes August 2010
    Cheezzypoof - 9/5 and 9/6 - Later than 10:15. Rules out those days for me.

Magic - today through 9/3 - After 5. Doesn't interfere with me at all.

Pheylan - Won't know his schedule til the night before. Disregard.

Mungo - Unavailable 8/19 - 8/22 and 8/27. Not a problem. Disregard.

You scheduled the draft.

Mungo - Changed his mind. Also can't do it on 9/5. Apparently at all. Thanks for putting that out there up front, champ.

You changed the schedule

Pheylan - Still not knowing his schedule, requests it be later than 8 pm that day.

KP - Requests it not be on Wednesday in direct conflict with Mungo's request, or that it be even later than that.

You reveal that it wasn't actually scheduled for 8, but 8:30.

KP - Not good enough, must be later than 9:00 pm.

You changed the schedule.

I suggest a weekend, since everybody seems to want to stay up late.

You changed the schedule.

Pheylan - I have a wedding I didn't tell you all about until now. I forget, did you ask us to explain when we were unavailable ever? Don't forget, he won't know his schedule til the night before anyway.

Mungo - Oh, by the way, since I'm completely incapable of explaining myself or even providing the information people request of me, here is yet another span of time I can't do it.

Just to recap...
  • GovernorGovernor August 2010
    Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.
  • dandan August 2010
    This is pretty awesome.

-dan
  • BillBill August 2010
    I agree, this is awesome. Also, the draft for this league was on a weekend for the last 2 years, if memory serves.
  • NunesNunes August 2010
    QUOTE (Pheylan @ Aug 29 2010, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I'll be at a wedding.

btw, you have a choice.

Bro up and do a fantasy draft, or slip on your LBD, toss back a cosmo and slink off to that wedding. Your call.
    lol thanks andrew. i'll probably have a time for friday early evening eastern time....how does that sound tentatively
  • KPKP August 2010
    QUOTE (BlackLight @ Aug 30 2010, 11:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    lol thanks andrew. i'll probably have a time for friday early evening eastern time....how does that sound tentatively

anything after 6
  • mungomungo August 2010
    Labor day weekend = autodraft for me.

When are we doing lottery for draft positions?
  • NunesNunes August 2010
    Does Friday early evening count as labor day weekend for you?

It's an awesome draft time for me, fwiw.
  • MagicMagic August 2010
    I believe it sets draft positions randomly just before the draft begins. Last year's draft was on a Sunday night -- it started at 8:30 PM Central time. Hopefully the link works...

http://archive.fantasysports.yahoo.com/arc...351294/settings

Looks like we found a way to deal with the "SUPER LATE DRAFT TIME" last year for you cry-babies in EST. How on earth did you manage to stay up so late going into a Monday morning?!?! Also before telling someone to man up about skipping a wedding you might want to man up yourself -- you were throwing quite the hissy-fit a few posts ago
  • mungomungo August 2010
    QUOTE (Andrew @ Aug 31 2010, 09:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Does Friday early evening count as labor day weekend for you?

Yes, Friday early evenings are part of every weekend. I suggest you attempt to rectify that if it's a foreign notion for you.

QUOTE (Magic @ Aug 31 2010, 09:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Looks like we found a way to deal with the "SUPER LATE DRAFT TIME" last year for you cry-babies in EST. How on earth did you manage to stay up so late going into a Monday morning?!?! Also before telling someone to man up about skipping a wedding you might want to man up yourself -- you were throwing quite the hissy-fit a few posts ago

I still can't believe you deleted my 'your testicles must be in another state' comment. Fail.
    For the record, it is entirely unreasonable to say that an entire weekend of a borderline-holiday at best such as labor day is off limits for something like this. If you seriously cannot schedule a few hours of time anywhere in the weekend, then good for you, but that is _completely_ your fault and not at all normal. It is LABOR day for christs sake, and it is ONLY on monday to boot. If you couldn't do it on Sunday evening because you were at a BBQ, then fine. If you were going on vacation that weekend, that is fine too. But other than that, what the _fuck_ else could you possibly be doing that would occupy 100% of your time and could not possibly be adjusted for the slightest bit to allow you to dedicate half of your attention to a computer for two hours? Jesus christ... and you rag on Andrew for having sand in his vagina?
    Why it would need to be on a weekend at all escapes me. Weekends are when people go out and do social activities. Weekdays are the time to sit at home and do drafts. People are typically home bodies anyway during the week. This isn't going to take 3 hours. It never has in the past. I'm fine with any weekday, any time. It works or it doesn't. But trying to do it on a holiday weekend where a good portion of the population travels to other cities for the weekend is ludicrous.

Bro up and do a fantasy draft, or slip on your LBD, toss back a cosmo and slink off to that wedding. Your call.

You can fuck yourself. Bro up and stop bitching about missing a couple hours of sleep.
    QUOTE (Pheylan @ Aug 31 2010, 01:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Why it would need to be on a weekend at all escapes me. Weekends are when people go out and do social activities. Weekdays are the time to sit at home and do drafts. People are typically home bodies anyway during the week. This isn't going to take 3 hours. It never has in the past. I'm fine with any weekday, any time. It works or it doesn't. But trying to do it on a holiday weekend where a good portion of the population travels to other cities for the weekend is ludicrous.

You can fuck yourself. Bro up and stop bitching about missing a couple hours of sleep.

Why is it reasonable to say that weekends (approx 2.5 full days) are off limits but not reasonable for someone to say that they'd prefer not to lose sleep during the week (approx 5 hours)?

Edit: I will stop trolling at some point... maybe.
    Edit2: Did two people just quote Andrew's very obvious joke and tell him to go fuck himself as a result? Nope. Just one.
  • mungomungo August 2010
    QUOTE (Governor @ Aug 31 2010, 12:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    For the record, it is entirely unreasonable to say that an entire weekend of a borderline-holiday at best such as labor day is off limits for something like this. If you seriously cannot schedule a few hours of time anywhere in the weekend, then good for you, but that is _completely_ your fault and not at all normal. It is LABOR day for christs sake, and it is ONLY on monday to boot. If you couldn't do it on Sunday evening because you were at a BBQ, then fine. If you were going on vacation that weekend, that is fine too. But other than that, what the _fuck_ else could you possibly be doing that would occupy 100% of your time and could not possibly be adjusted for the slightest bit to allow you to dedicate half of your attention to a computer for two hours? Jesus christ... and you rag on Andrew for having sand in his vagina?

I have to say, most of the time I agree with you; but not here. I do not agree with doing drafts on weekends to begin with, especially on a long weekend. I am leaving town, I will not be near a computer and as one of the last weekends in the summer even if I were available I absolutely would NOT want to spend 2-3 hours indoors, on my computer.

I'm in three other drafts this year: a Monday, a Tuesday, and a Wednesday. No draft starts before 7:30PM EST and no draft starts after 9:00PM EST.

Maybe this is just a radically different social organization, but I would definitely say upwards of 50% of the people I know will be out of town this weekend...be it visiting family or going on vacation.

If I'm going to be with my family, I'm going to BE with my family.
    ok well there was never a problem in years past with a weekend draft time. What do people think about Monday early evening since it is the end of the holiday weekend
    QUOTE (mungo @ Aug 31 2010, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I have to say, most of the time I agree with you; but not here. I do not agree with doing drafts on weekends to begin with, especially on a long weekend. I am leaving town, I will not be near a computer and as one of the last weekends in the summer even if I were available I absolutely would NOT want to spend 2-3 hours indoors, on my computer.

I'm in three other drafts this year: a Monday, a Tuesday, and a Wednesday. No draft starts before 7:30PM EST and no draft starts after 9:00PM EST.

Maybe this is just a radically different social organization, but I would definitely say upwards of 50% of the people I know will be out of town this weekend...be it visiting family or going on vacation.

And Andrew doesn't agree with doing drafts in the late hours of weekdays. My challenge to you is to rationally explain why your restriction on weekends is any more reasonable than Andrew's. His restriction is due to work-productivity, yours seems to be due to a personal weekend-luddite thing, so some rationalization would definitely go a long way in helping me understand.

I would say that exactly zero percent of the people that I know are going to be out of town for the entire labor day weekend. Well, I guess that isn't accurate anymore, since you will be. So much less than 1% of the people that I know will be out of town all labor day weekend. Assuming this statistic is meaningless to you (which I'm sure it is), then you can see why you saying that 50% of the people you know are vacating town for three days is pretty meaningless to me.
    QUOTE (BlackLight @ Aug 31 2010, 03:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    ok well there was never a problem in years past with a weekend draft time. What do people think about Monday early evening since it is the end of the holiday weekend

My recommendation to you is to simply create a list of who will be available which days based on what they've said in this thread and decide on a day that impacts the least amount of people. Someone is going to get dicked here, and I'm sure everyone would appreciate as much notice as possible.
  • NunesNunes August 2010
    QUOTE (mungo @ Aug 31 2010, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good thing you made this clear when you were asked... oh... wait. Anything else we should know? Do you not draft on Shabbas? Do you play bridge at the nursing home on Tuesday evenings? Last chance, sunshine.

Monday early evening is fine with me.

So is Saturday at 2:30 or whatever it is now. So is Friday early evening or late evening.

What is not cool is 9:30 pm in the dead center of the week to suit the needs of two individuals who, if you read carefully, have completely conflicting schedules.

Shit... I am happy drafting in the wee hours of the morning on weekends. If that helps.
  • AlfyAlfy August 2010
    Well, I for one will most likely auto pick anyway. I haven't been keeping on football at all. I have been hearing that the Lions will be sucking less, in a similar way that getting slapped in the face would suck less than getting kicked in the balls. Either way, the woman still leaves angry. That analogy kinda got away from me there.

Oh wait, that is right, we are arguing here; I THINK THAT YOU ARE ALL A BUNCH OF COCKFUCKS FOR NOT BEING ABLE TO DRAFT ON THE WEEKEND/WEEKDAY (circle one).

I realize that this might mean a lot to some people, but if it is that important to you that you win, you will make it a priority to be a the draft, no matter what time it is. I hope that the ones pitching a fit are all seeing the ridiculousness of what they are saying.
  • MagicMagic August 2010
    I forget what all happened and am too lazy to re-read but it seemed like a decent amount of people were okay with Wednesday or Thursday evening until Andrew complained about having to stay up late. Which pretty much rules out drafting any time during the weekday because of the time difference. So his one request knocks out 5 days, instead of the 2 that are knocked out by avoiding the weekend. Even worse though, is that it seems by having it on a weekend less people will be able to make it (Phey and Mungo...I'm a maybe depending on the day that's picked - haven't heard from anyone else).

That's were my frustration is coming from -- changing the time to accomodate one request that ends up displacing more people. Also, the "obvious" joke wasn't too obvious to me -- telling someone to bro up after just getting done complaining about having to stay up an hour is the definition of hypocrisy to me. He makes a valid point in that Phey may have the choice to attend a wedding or not, but at the same time Andrew has the choice to miss the draft himself, stay up late and "bro up" himself, or figure out an alternate work schedule for that day (like I may end up doing).

Whatever though, here's when I'm available:

9/1 through 9/3 -- Anytime after 5 pm EST
    9/4 -- Anytime (hopefully)
    9/5 -- Not available at all
    9/6 -- Anytime after noon EST
    9/7 through 9/10 -- Anytime after 5 pm EST

I'd also suggest perhaps the winner from last year be able to pick the time slot that suits them best. Or perhaps the top 3 finishers decide amongst themselves to choose a time. That way there's somewhat of a "prize" for those who did well last year. Last year Blacklight took first, Buckeye took 2nd and KP took 3rd. Since Buckeye isn't in it this year -- maybe KP and Blacky should pick a time that works for them and go from there.
  • BillBill August 2010
    It's worth noting that when I had this much trouble picking a draft time for the live draft for the people at work I told them all to fuck themselves and put it at noon on friday, because that works great for me.
  • MagicMagic September 2010
    I just got done "participating" in two mock drafts through Yahoo. Participating is in quotes because I didn't make the picks myself, but rather had Yahoo auto-select for me and then email me the results. I wanted to see how long the draft would take, and what I could expect to end up with if unable to attend the draft and had to rely on Yahoo. I received the email results from both drafts just under an hour from when they started, and am pretty pleased with the results:

Mock Draft 1 (draft position 11 out of 14)
    1. Ryan Mathews (SD - RB)
    2. Reggie Wayne (Ind - WR)
    3. Beanie Wells (Ari - RB)
    4. Philip Rivers (SD - QB)
    5. Santana Moss (Was - WR)
    6. Mike Wallace (Pit - WR)
    7. Heath Miller (Pit - TE)
    8. Pittsburgh (Pit - DEF)
    9. Josh Scobee (Jac - K)
    10. Thomas Jones (KC - RB)
    11. Julian Edelman (NE - WR)
    12. Devin Thomas (Was - WR)
    13. Josh Johnson (TB - QB)
    14. Benjamin Watson (Cle - TE)
    15. Jay Feely (Ari - K)

Mock Draft 2 (draft position 5 out of 14)
    1. Michael Turner (Atl - RB)
    2. Calvin Johnson (Det - WR)
    3. Pierre Thomas (NO - RB)
    4. Chad Ochocinco (Cin - WR)
    5. Brett Favre (Min - QB)
    6. Jason Witten (Dal - TE)
    7. Robert Meachem (NO - WR)
    8. Minnesota (Min - DEF)
    9. Garrett Hartley (NO - K)
    10. Jerome Harrison (Cle - RB)
    11. John Carlson (Sea - TE)
    12. Antonio Bryant (Cin - WR)
    13. Austin Collie (Ind - WR)
    14. Josh Johnson (TB - QB)
    15. Josh Scobee (Jac - K)
  • BlackLightBlackLight September 2010
    the draft is this coming Monday at 7.45 EST (4.45 Pacific) PM
  • AlfyAlfy September 2010
    That is the take charge attitude that gets me wet! I mean.... NOT THAT.
  • NunesNunes September 2010
    In the future, might I recommend a "Here are three days, all at the same reasonable time. Let me know which you can't attend" strategy. It's been working well for me the past few years.

But thanks, my vagina is now degritted.
  • KPKP September 2010
    That works for me, but that is like memorial day dinner time?
  • RogueRogue September 2010
    This is insane. LOL I have been doing fantasy football since all of your asses were still in diapers. (18 yearthis year) I ran a league with a buddy and am helping my brother-in-law run one this year. I am in two differet leagues and one is through yahoo, every draft I have ever been in has been on sunday starting either 1 pm or 3 pm and done in no longer then 3 hours. If someone couldn't make it cause of work or fmily obligations a good friend or brother was sent in place to do it for them. The fact not one of you has thought of letting someone else fill in for you actually makes me laugh. I sent my dad one year cause my ex was going into false labor at the time. All the talk of weekdays being the best is well wrong. Look at fos, cbs, yahoo, sportning news, espn OVER 80% of drafts are on weekends. if you ave to take a weekday then the pro of time zones comes in and you have to say ok I can't do weekends so I have to make myself avail for the guy in california. If that means you get up at 3 am so he can be in after work well you have to be willing to do that if YOUR the one or ones throwing the weekend out.

END OF RANT (i think)

Rogue. (red devils on yahoo ff).
    QUOTE (KarmaPolice @ Sep 2 2010, 12:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    That works for me, but that is like memorial labor day dinner time?

It's not Christmas, people. Traditional Labor Day Festivities include:
    1. sitting on your ass
    2. not going to work
    3. mowing the lawn
    and
    4. enjoying your last days of freedom if you're a student

I was completely unaware that people actually celebrated this holiday. Shoot, how many of us have even heard of the Haymarket Affair or the Pullman Strike? I bet if you asked a hundred folks what Labor day was about they'd tell you BBQ, that Parade thingy and the start of college football.
  • GovernorGovernor September 2010
    I wasn't even aware there was a Parade.
  • RogueRogue September 2010
    Labor day was started in the 60's to honor all workers in the usa, it originally was a union worker organization rally for years before it became a national holiday. It was also done on I believe a Sunday.
    If by 60's you mean 1880's then yeah. The Sunday one was established in the early 1900's.

Also it was a reaction to a series of massacres, not just to honor the workers, but to quell a potential uprising.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership